Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danielle_agrapides

What kind of window treatments would you use?

Danielle P
6 years ago

Recently renovated the entire first floor and am finally adding some finish touches. We added some moldings around these bay windows and replaced the window above the kitchen, which use to be a double crank type window, with this one up & down window. I was thinking about roman shades, but can't use a roman for the kitchen window bc the 6" fold is too big. The decor is modern/contemporary and this EIK opens up to an open floor plan living room. What do you suggest? I do not like curtains. Can provide window measurements if that would be helpful. Thanks!

Comments (16)

• jewelisfabulous
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

You really don't have space for a fabric covering on the window above the sink and the tile above the casing will make installing hardware to hold the treatment difficult anyway. Maybe you could consider an inside casing wood blind in white there.

On the bay window, I'd repeat the wood blinds and also go with a swag.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

When you say you don't like curtains, does that mean any fabric hanging at the side of windows? You say you can't use a Roman over the sink, but are you thinking of them for the bay window? Here are many type of treatments over kitchen sinks, and if you LIKE Roman shades, and want to use them for the dining area, you can just have a short valance of the same or a coordinating fabric over the sink.

Do I see a neighboring house from the sink window? Do you want privacy there at all, or just a bit of color?

Photos here.

• Bonnie
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Not sure what the sink window overlooks, but your bay window needs nothing, IMO. What a beautiful and private view!

• eld6161
    6 years ago

I would do Romans for the bay windows.

If you need something for the kitchen, maybe an inside mount mini blind? Or a bamboo shade?

is there always a glare there? Do you need privacy? If no to both, I would just leave the window as is.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

I read somewhere "If you don't know how to treat a window leave it alone"

I think it doesn't really need anything, just like bonnie_ann

however you might want to control light, create a sense of more privacy(whether actually needed or not..I know I can feel exposed without being actually exposed), etc

In that case I'd go with simple blinds/shades, either in white, black, shades of gray..or your preferred color if you have it around the house but as not to bring to much attention to the treatments..something clean, leaning on the cool side..blue, green? Something unobtrusive..unless I get you all wrong and you would like to accentuate the treatments..that can be striking too, but only if you really want that look.

Otherwise-beautiful as is.

• Fun2BHere
    6 years ago

I would probably just use privace film on the kitchen window if needed. Otherwise, I'd leave it bare. I would use some sort of inside mount shade on the bay windows.

• arcy_gw
    6 years ago

The kitchen window I would leave as is. The bay I would want some color--a valance?

• Gooster
    6 years ago

You could also do a roller blind for privacy above the sink, as a more retro choice. Or nothing, just like the bay. If you want to add something to the bay, some roman shades mounted high (and stacked high) will visually elongate the windows even more.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    6 years ago

I like the idea of a roller blind for the kitchen window, if you need to cover it, or you could use a soft pleated or cellular shade. I only have a valance (Kuba cloth) in my kitchen window, which I added because I get too much morning light - otherwise I have a very pretty view from that window.

For the bay windows, the corner might be a bit tight for outside mount Roman shades. I've always used drapes whenever I had bay windows, as they work well at the corners. You could use inside mount Roman shades, but they would have to be exactly the right width, and the length should be pretty accurate also.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    6 years ago

Over the kitchen sink you could use a tension rod with a bit of fabric treatment for color. No mounting hardware needed.

• Danielle P
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow thank you everyone for the great suggestions! The kitchen window and the bay window on the left have a terrible sun glare at about 5pm every afternoon. I would also like some privacy in the kitchen window as my neighbors can see directly in. We previously had wood blinds up in all of these windows and it worked well because we kept them pulled all the way up most of the time except when the sun glare came in. They didn't really obstruct our view. In the kitchen window however we always kept the blinds halfway down for privacy. The only thing that I don't like about blinds is that they get so dusty!

• Danielle P
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lars, what do you think about Gooster's idea to mount some roman shades higher above the bay windows? I also like your idea of a roller blind for the kitchen window, thank you!

• Danielle P
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for the feedback and compliments Christy Reves

• Christy Reves
    6 years ago

You are very welcome. Have fun with your place. Very nice.

• l pinkmountain
    6 years ago

They have some peel and stick stuff for windows, many patterns. I'm thinking about that for my dining room french doors. Google "decorative window film."