Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelebezjak

Needs something? Cant figure out what is missing

Michele Bezjak
6 years ago

Just can't seem to get this wall right, I have white couches and a sisal rug. Something about this wall feels off? Any advice welcome.

Comments (38)

• drdeb1234
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Bold fabulous colourful art would give this (attractive) room the oomph it needs.

• Susan B
    6 years ago
    I agree with Showhomes and drdeb that you need color! Also, the picture ledges look too high. Could you rehang them so the lower ones are the same height as your media console?
  • PRO
    R - Design & Staging
    6 years ago
    I like the ledges and pics. To add a splash of color, and texture, you could add a runner under the tv. Adding maybe a small chair or "pouf"'type seating on either side (-or both- with color) and a floor plant would also help balance the space.
  • Carol Singletary
    6 years ago
    Gorgeous room! Just add a few more touches of turquoise/teal and you're done.
  • havingfun
    6 years ago

picture shapes are wrong.

• lbk01
    6 years ago

I'd get rid of the small stuff on the ledges and TV console-which is great BTW. I'd make sure the TV was centered on the console. Add some color with pillows and perhaps switch out some of the ledge photos with colorful artwork to pull in color choices. I also think you can lower the ledges. You are off to a good start and with a bit of tweaking will have a great room.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

In addition to all the great advice above, can you pull the sofa back to the edge of the rug and move the loveseat up a foot or so to get its legs on the rug? The sofas would form a corner together and could share the round side table. The lamp cord can be run under the loveseat. You could then add a sofa table between the loveseat and wall if you wanted.

• chloebud
    6 years ago

Exactly what Showhomes suggested...perfect. I also agree with Susan B's comment regarding where to place the shelves.

• Doreen Lynch
    6 years ago
    I would have to TV mounted on the wall as well.
  • barrowp
    6 years ago

Center the console between the shelves (can't tell for sure but it looks slightly off), center the tv on the console, and remove everything else from the console. Try turning the rug the other way.

• jck910
    6 years ago

Turn rug. White table is too tall, should be no higher than sofa arm height. Lamp is too tall. I would leave TV wall blank but if you want the shelves move the top 2 closer to the TV and vary the height of the objects on the shelves

• jansgirl
    6 years ago

LOL! So many suggestions! I love what you've done and would only suggest you move your shelves closer to your TV. Not higher or lower but 2-3" over the edge of your gorgeous console. The wall will appear fuller.

I agree to turning your rug the other direction. Both sofas should have at least their front legs it.

• indahowz
    6 years ago

I agree with most of this advice! One thing I would add is to offset the shelves if there is room, Also, a darker shade on one of the walls would add contrast and interest. Done, I think T,V, is fine where it is. definitely keep the dog!!! :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Turn rug. Add two green plants that are safe for dogs one tall for left side of shelves (also reduce pieces on shelves) and then a lower green plant on right of TV. Agree lamp is too high but with lower table it might work. Try those tweaks and add one throw over back and right side of sofa. I would choose a bright blue. But any bright color you like would work. Lovely room. Thanks for taking the risk of asking for help. Hope we didn't overwhelm you!
  • mick50
    6 years ago

To me the room looks off balance because one side is all black (tv, shelves, frames, console) and the other side is white (sofa) and all the wood is the same tone. Perhaps introduce some natural wood on the tv side. Could you change the shelves or the frames? Also, you can hang some pictures, they don't have to all lean. Last, I think one more shelf on each lower side and then add an ottoman underneath...butterscotch leather would look good.

• btydrvn
    6 years ago
    The most dramatic way to add color (as most seem to agree is needed) is an accent wall...if color is hard for you ....choose a subtle accent wall color...a paler teal for instance...the rest of the suggestions offer lots of effective changes as well...
  • btydrvn
    6 years ago
    The color of the doggy bucket looks good for an accent color as well
  • btydrvn
    6 years ago
    If you keep the shelves try lining up the ends ...closer to the tv..rather than center them on each other...and to re-enforce the specialness of the pics...space them further apart and remove the little decorative pieces...possibly even paint the shelves to match the wall...so they integrate a little more ...architecturally
  • Barbara Haith
    6 years ago
    Lower the shelves and fewer pictures of different sizes for dimension. Definitely need to add color perhaps with the frames or by adding fewer bigger art pictures. A no no to have family photos here. That would be better for a gallery on a table or potentially up the staircase.
  • Barbara Haith
    6 years ago
    And too many small pieces placed here and there. Eliminate and cluster somewhere else as a collection or not at all. Otherwise you are moving toward a cool Pottery Barn look. You might add a big clock and perhaps some stacked books with a colorful throw on the coach. And a dog somewhere. Definitely a dog.
  • btydrvn
    6 years ago
    I concur with Barbara ...on family pics...at least in concept..but for slightly different reasons...usually I like family pics at eye level (in a hallway?) where they can be viewed (and shared) close up ....as they are usually smaller and more personal...but to me that doesn't rule out your choice...
  • daniritter02
    6 years ago
    Perhaps some crown molding to help give the wall a more finished look and if you could mount the TV on the wall a little higher, you would get a better balance in appearance?
  • felizlady
    6 years ago
    The front of each piece of seating furniture needs to be equally ON the rug. You may need to turn the rug direction to achieve this.
    You need to add some color throughout the room to give it life. Start with a piece of colorful art ( the room needs some larger art), and find your accent color or two in the art. OR, go to HomeGoods' decorative pillow section and buy several pillows with matching patterns or matching colors, and choose your accent color from the pillows.
    Now that you have one or two accent colors, buy some accessories for the room: a vase, a ceramic bowl, a soft knit throw, a picture frame, a lamp base, another pillow in a different pattern but in the same colors.
    Bring home your new items and place them around your room and see how they add to the decor of the space. Maybe a few don't please you...take them back! That's why we keep the receipts and keep the tags on for a week!
    You can paint the base of your round side table in your accent color: it blends with your furniture and has no "presence". Give it color and it will be a new table.
    Use fewer photos on the shelves, mix the different sizes and directions, add a bit of color on two or three shelves. Don't be "matchy matchy".
    You don't have to do it all at once, or buy it all at once, but if you can do it within a month or six weeks, you can have an end-of-summer party in September to celebrate.
  • chloebud
    6 years ago

michele, someone made a comment on Houzz once that made sense to me regarding shelf decor. Pretty sure it was decoenthusiaste. All of the items you place on shelfs should be easily seen/identified from any seating place in the room. Items like photos are better grouped on a table where they can be seen close up.

• PRO
  • grapefruit1_ar
    6 years ago

I was thinking the same thing as Celerygirl.....remove the shelves and use art. Get a colorful rug to tie in with the art.

• hooked123
    6 years ago

Bold amazing artwork.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hang the t v, as now it looks like a bureau and a mirror.

The rug is positioned incorrectly..too much under one sofa and none under the other. Try turning it..

You can leave the shelfs (I do agree with editing what is displayed on them) and put the chairs beneath…filling that empty area with color. Throw in something Asian in feel. Your (great) large piece has a Tibetan look.

Baxton Studio Darlington Arm Chair · More Info
    These throw pillows are a steal from etsy.com…made from a Turkish rug, they will add another texture….for your white sofas. One lumbar for each seat cushion.

Tall lamp is good with your other furniture, but the table isn’t right….too high for the lamp, wrong shape, wrong color and wrong style.

Is it possible to get one more lamp? I really like the look of it….maybe on a red table?

If you liked this table, I would position it, so that the back of it is against the sofa arm. The you would see the drawer walking into the room.

• chloebud
    6 years ago

Love the look with the framed art. However, the shelves will work fine after tweaking.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

I like your shelves and the way you've styled them. They just need a tweak or two.

• woodteam5
    6 years ago

It looks nice. I do think you should mount the TV

And the suggestion of adding color like the dog bucket is a good one

• Olga Kramar
    6 years ago
    As others have pointed out, the balance is off. Sofas need to have at least front legs on the rug, and need to both be about the same amount on the rug. So either turn rug or move sofas. Which to do depends on the ideal viewing distance for the tv. Function first! The pics on shelves are overcrowded and would be better viewed up close. So place items on shelves that can be appreciated from a distance, and allow some breathing space on those shelves. Also off balance is the light and dark. Ottomans under the shelves would ground the shelves and give you a chance to balance some white against the wall. Lastly, color is NOT a magic bullet for everything. No, a few brightly patterned toss pillows will not remedy this. Too many rooms use colors to distract from poor design. Gorgeous rooms can be done with neutrals, and if you like the tranquil look of whites and browns, stay with it!
  • Yvette Morris
    6 years ago
    Seems to be missing florals
  • 111ideahound
    6 years ago
    How about two colored matching chests or benches under shelves for storage or extra seating?
  • jansgirl
    6 years ago

Where's Michele??

• mick50
    6 years ago

I agree, jansgirl! Where is michelebezjak, the original poster?? That is my biggest pet peeve on Houzz dilemmas...people who get all this great feedback and advice but can't be bothered to respond to it! Grrrr....