Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winky911

Best product to clean quartz counter with out harming it?

Madeline Heller
6 years ago

Safest product people use on quartz counters? Mine are white and gray.

Comments (49)

• della70
    6 years ago

Then, I use a spray of "Method" for a little shine.

• Chessie
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-clean-quartz-countertops/#.WaN6qj596Uk

Quartz doesn't need babying. That's sort of the point of it.

• grapefruit1_ar
    6 years ago

Windex and a paper towel.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    6 years ago

Caesarstone recommends dish soap and water and for stubbon stains Soft Scrub Gel with Bleach. Rinse any cleaning method with water after through.

• fillmoe
    6 years ago

Our countertop dealer said they swear by Barkeepers Friend liquid. We've had the counters about 4 years, though, and I haven't needed any product beyond Quick 'n' Brite solution, my go-to cleanup product.

• della70
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I have quartz and I agree with the above -- Dawn dish soap on a sponge is all you need. Wipe dry and a little spray of "Method" gives it some shine and smells good. Quartz is sealed and so nothing is absorbed. It sits on top. Our installer also said that nothing but intense heat could damage the seal. He said the worst offender is to put a slow cooker on the counter which releases heat from the bottom for hours. Love our quartz!

• bkeithaz
    6 years ago

I have never used the Method products. Is there a particular product you are referring to for the shine on quartz? Thanks!

• della70
    6 years ago

Method - all-purpose natural surface cleaner:https://methodhome.com/product-category/home-cleaning#specialty-surface-cleaners -- non toxic and safe for pets. I see they also have developed a granite surface cleaner. Eco-friendly company. I use the pink grapefruit scent.

• sf_treat
    6 years ago

Caesarstone recommends Method granite cleaner.

• Chessie
    6 years ago

I just had my quartz countertops installed - mostly white with gray veining. I have used BKF liquid, and Scrubbing Bubbles Max Kitchen cleaner. Both did a fine job at removing some discolored areas that the fabricators overlooked. No etching or scratching at all.

• ckinchen
    6 years ago

I have light quartz countertops. I absolutely LOVE the method products, used all the time on my corian. I saw above a few mentioned they use the all purpose cleaner. I just wanted to double check you still feel it is safe? I love the lavender one. I also use that or the bathroom cleaner on my glass top stove and its like a miracle cleaner, I use every time after I cook. I wont use the bathroom one on my counters, but if I can use the Lavender I would be so happy!

• della70
    6 years ago

ckinchen -- lavender Method should work just fine -- same product, different scent.

• PRO
    E.O VIDA
    6 years ago

This is a great product to try on quartz, marble, or granite. It will not etch or scratch the surface. It is super easy and inexpensive as well!

https://eovida.blog/cleanslate/

• Jani Abe
    5 years ago

I am confused are we talking about Quartz or Caesar Stone? One is a manmade product (solid surface) and Quartz is natural like granite.....NEVER EVER put anything on granite that is citrus... lemon, lime or grapefruit. even in cleaning products. It will over time eat away at the stone. Same is true with the cheaper brands of flatware....lemon dishwasher soap will pit your flatware in no time.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

Jani Abe - QUARTZITE is perhaps what you are referring to when you say "natural". "Quartz", in any of the threads here on HOUZZ and online, refers to what is technically ENGINEERED quartz. Caesarstone, Cambria, Viatera, Silestone....the brand does not matter.

• PRO
    Cambria
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

@winky911, our product is maintenance free and requires no sealing or polishing. Simply wipe the surface with a soft cloth and warm water, and mild soap if desired, to keep Cambria spotless. Never use bleach and abrasive powders or scrubs like Comet®, Soft Scrub®, or S.O.S.® pads. In addition, never apply any sealers, penetrants, or topical treatments to Cambria. Such products will cause the surface to appear dull or inconsistent. If you wish to use a cleaner for things like dried-on
    spills, see our list of APPROVED CLEANERS.

• J Corn
    5 years ago

We’ve had quartz for years and even after all that time visitors assume it was recently installed. It doesn’t need babying as long as you avoid abrasives. Microfiber cloths really are the key to preventing smudges and I do wash them separately from any kitchen towels, etc. No fabric softener. Dawn dishwashing soap and and a decent antibacterial product , even 409, hasn’t affected the finish.

• HU-789623815
    3 years ago

I just had a Silestone quartz installed. (White/grey veining) I read all the comments about the products. Sounds like Method (no cirtus), 409, cloths with a mild soap are all safe products to use. I assume Simple Green would work too?

• Chessie
    3 years ago

I clean it with most any regular cleaner like 409 or Krud Kutter - I don't baby it or look for special cleaners. No issues whatsoever.

• berekann
    3 years ago

Two products - Black Diamond Granit Plus 2-in-1 cleaner and sealer and Polish Preserver. Both available on Amazon and reasonably priced.

• mczarina
    3 years ago

Would barkeeper work on water stains on silestone quartz?

• Dee Taylor
    3 years ago

The barkeeper's friend saved my quartz counter tops. I have all white and I made the mistake of getting white in two houses. Head to hand. White shows every crumb, scratch and stain. You have to wipe them down multiple times a day and they stain very easily. I've used two different companies and have the same issue everytime. One of the worst food offenders is tumeric. Don't let that one sit! My friend recommended Barkeeper's friend it worked! Took out that stubborn stain easily. Good luck!

• kculbers
    3 years ago

I have Silestone engineered quartz countertops and use dish soap for daily wipe downs and Comet scratch free cream cleanser with bleach for stubborn water stains. This protocol keeps my countertops brand new❣️

• Chessie
    3 years ago

Dee Taylor

"The barkeeper's friend saved my quartz counter tops. I have all white and I made the mistake of getting white in two houses. Head to hand. White shows every crumb, scratch and stain. You have to wipe them down multiple times a day and they stain very easily."

I can only say that this is a very atypical experience. I honestly have never seen anyone post such an experience with white quartz. I certainly have not had that experience. Quite the contrary. I don't even wipe my counters down once a day. I only need to wipe down where I am prepping - no stains or scratches. Very odd.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

@Chessie and others, I agree. I have white Caesarstone countertops and have for about 3 1/2 years. Nothing has ever stained them. I have been so relieved. Anytime I see a spot that I am concerned might have stained the countertop, it just wipes away. Love, love Caesarstone.

• Mary S
    3 years ago

Dee Taylor I have had the same issues with the quarts I have. It’s MSI brand. Now I’m wondering if that’s a junk quartz brand because others are saying it’s atypical and I thought it was. I have always been surprised by the stains I have, knowing that quartz should not stain easily.

• 101stretired
    3 years ago

I just had white quartz counter tops installed with gray veining, beautiful, but shows everything. I actually use Collinite 845 Sealer, I clean it with Weiman Quartz Cleaner then polish with the Collinite 845. After you do this drop a couple of beads of water on the counter top, you will see the result and protection it provides.

• rureadyinla
    3 years ago

409 heavy degreaser leaves my kitchen quartz counters streak free. We get much sunlight in our kitchen in the am and I hate when I see dust particles, crumbs or any streaks and that 409 version is the best that I have used for a very clean look.

We have Silestone Lusso in our kitchen, which is a lighter color.

• turtlecam
    3 years ago

I had Caesarstone installed in Master Bath in 2017 on a counter with two sinks. The area around my sink is dull and cloudy and has water marks (or some liquid). I wear contact lenses that require daily cleaning, so maybe that's it. Or lotion, or makeup? I had been using Mrs. Meyer's spray and a sponge, or vinegar and water spray. I wipe the counters down with a clean dry wash cloth to dry off water splashes when I am done using the sink. I contacted Caesarstone and they told me to use Soft Scrub gel with bleach. This did nothing. I think what I have is patina. They told me Mrs. Meyer's is not approved for their quartz, because it is plant based. I find this all very confusing. Cambria's website lists Mrs. Meyer's as an approved cleaner, which seems strange to me that different companies recommend different cleaning methods. Windex is listed by both companies, as well as dish soap. I prefer a quick spray and wipe, rather than having to rinse off dish soap suds every time I spill something, especially in the kitchen. I'm planning to put quartz in my kitchen soon after having Corian for over 20 years. If plant based products are bad, I don't see how that works in a kitchen where olive oil spills, etc. The stone fabricator where I am purchasing the quartz (and quartzite for my island) said MSI is just as good as Caesarstone, which they feel is "ridiculously" over priced. Since my bathroom Caesarstone doesn't look great after 3 years, I think they may be right.

• sf_treat
    3 years ago

@rureadyinla, are you taking about 409 Stone and Steel? I am dying to get that for streak free quartz (my housekeeper brings her own and SWEARS by it), but they have suspended production during Covid to make other products if that is what you have, use it gingerly! And btw, I do buy the cleaning supplies my housekeeper uses, but alas we can't get this one.

• Chessie
    3 years ago

Streaks? I never get streaks after cleaning. Strange.

• HU-235250178
    2 years ago

I have pure white quartz from Vicostone. They show marks from foil, pans, silverware ......basically everything that touches them. Thankfully bar keepers friend and a lot of scrubbing will remove the mark. However - the shine is now mottled or spotty. Looks like some areas are dusty and need buffing. Drives me crazy that there isn't a smooth and consistent shine. I am so very careful with them and have never used harsh chemicals. I have watered down the bar keepers friend so it won't be abrasive. My huge center island gets so much light and it bothers me that it isn't beautiful like it should be. Solid white isn't a good choice in my opinion. (or stay away from Vicostone)

Solid shot

• Chessie
    2 years ago

HU-235250178

Once again, ANY counter will show metal marks. Stop dragging metal across your counter. Quartz is super easy to remove those marks from. See the response to your other comment.

• mystori06
    2 years ago

Is it necessary to be rude when someone is asking for help? Or are you just tired of being the ”expert?”

• pattyo15
    2 years ago

"The barkeeper's friend saved my quartz counter tops. I have all white and I made the mistake of getting white in two houses. Head to hand. White shows every crumb, scratch and stain. You have to wipe them down multiple times a day and they stain very easily."

I can only say that this is a very atypical experience. I honestly have never seen anyone post such an experience with white quartz. I certainly have not had that experience. Quite the contrary. I don't even wipe my counters down once a day. I only need to wipe down where I am prepping - no stains or scratches. Very odd.

To respond to some earlier posts -- I have to agree that the white quartz shows a lot more. I am new to quartz, having had Granite countertops most of my life. And, in Dee's defense, yes turmeric stains quickly and is hard to remove. I spilled food with turmeric in it on my new counter and it stained quickly. I used a mixture of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide to remove the stain, but it took some scrubbing. All good though with this mixture. And just a note, this is not cheap quartz. Turmeric can pretty much stain anything if you don't get it up asap, so I am with you Dee.

• K R
    2 years ago

In general, clean up spills right away, never let stains set. Method products are great for quartz!

• Kares About
    2 years ago

Our quartz manufacturer (Alleanza) says to avoid cleaners with a ph above 8.5. Method multi purpose has a ph above 10. Just an FYI

• kculbers
    2 years ago

Pattyo15: I agree with you about good quality white quartz. I have a white quartz countertop above my vanity in my powderroom: no staining, scratches or chipping

• Radtech Bassett
    last year

Coming to the thread late, but do those who use dish detergent to clean their quartz find that there is a soapy buildup like soap scum? Or is there such little amount of soap used that it doesn't do that? I've been using The Grove multipurpose cleaner. It works fine, but I do get a lot of streaking. I have MSI white quartz with gray veining.

• socks
    last year
    last modified: last year

i use a damp microfiber rag. That’s good enough (white quartz).

I’ll agree with another poster rhat the slow cooker can overheat the quartz countertop. My other appliances are ok.

• Radtech Bassett
    last year

Thank you. That's good to know about the slow cooker. I don't use one, but I do have a pressure cooker

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Use trivets with all heat generating appliances on natural stone, engineered stone, and solid surface please.

• rrah
    last year

I put my crock pot on a large cutting board to avoid the heat transfer. To clean the quartz I just use hot water, a little Dawn and a microfiber cloth. No soap build up after 4 years. I do sometimes wipe it down with plain water a second time.

• HU-26699918
    last year

Ceasar stone will turn yellow from exposure to sunlight (UV). Mine has turned yellow close to a southeast window that has no shades. No, using mild detergent like dawn will not remove ultra violet (UV) stain. Despite cleaning every day mine turned yellow after

several years.

• K A
    last year

I just got pompeii pure white. Does anyone else have this? It will be throughout my house. I just bought methods granite and stone cleaner. But, is there a regular ph neutral spray? What do people use after chicken? Also funny story, my mom got so upset about turmeric when i was a kid she threw it all out. Im indian so thats saying a lot!

• Radtech Bassett
    last year
    last modified: last year

Honestly, I regret getting quartz. I thought I had read up on it enough before deciding on it, but I didn't come here, to houzz. If I knew that I had to use a trivet just to use a toaster or coffee pot, I wouldn't have bothered with it at all. I don't use a trivet for those things, but someone in the comments stated that all heat generating appliances should have a trivet when in use on the counter top.

Also, it scratches very easily. I dropped a bowl on the counter. I was actually picking the bowl up off the counter and it just slipped. Couldn't have been more than 3 inches. It broke and it left a nice scratch. It's hard to see because the counter is white with grey veining. But I feel it when I wipe the counter. I wish I'd gone with granite, but I believed the salesperson when they said that it was basically indestructible...just don't set a 'hot off the stove' pan on it! And this place sold granite as well...so they could have sold me granite had they told me the truth. But I got tired of sealing granite and thought quartz was a fairly equal trade. It's not

• Anne Duke
    last year

Clearly there’s no one quartz. Am nd we as consumers are victims. I had a quartz from Arizona Tile installed approximately 7 years ago. It is crap around the vanity sinks, I can not get it smooth and shiny as the rest. Very disappointing, but life does not revolve around a sink.