Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

Homemade slug pellet holder

After reading a recent thread where some forum members have made their own slug pellet holders, I asked my husband whether we had any material that we could use to make one. So he suggested using pieces of a broken outdoor light fixture. He also used part of a tea strainer, and I supplied a glass top. He is still looking for something to secure the top with other than what had originally come with the outdoor lamp. What do you think?

I would love to have your slug pellet holder ideas presented in this thread. That way others could easily find this information when searching in the near future.

Comments (7)

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    6 years ago

Nice. But why not just sprinkle it on the ground? Pet concerns?

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked windymess z6a KC, Ks
  • newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I don't have pets to worry about, but I feed the birds which attracts a number of animals to come to my garden during the day and night. I don't want to be responsible for poisoning them. In a recent thread, I think it was Esther who said the squirrels were eating her slug bait like crazy. That got me thinking. The slug bait can't work if it's not there!

I find the weather becoming more and more erratic also. This spring we received a lot of rain. With all that moisture, the pellets disintegrate or are washed away.

And then there's the wind! I have a lot of pots in all sizes. When my 10 inch clay pot tips over because of the wind, well that's quite a strong gust. Where the heck have my pellets gone then?

So with the discussion on the recent thread, it got me thinking that slug holders are actually a very good idea. And the inventors of the Slug Bell have produced a very useful and attractive product! http://www.slugbell.com/

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    6 years ago

The slug bell is cute. Too bad they probably don't sell those here in the U.S. Do the slugs really climb that high up to get a pellet when the leaves of the hosta are right within their reach?

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
  • lindalana 5b Chicago
    6 years ago

Looking good! Am interested in making few hiding spots too as I have pets. I was using overturned pot saucers.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked lindalana 5b Chicago
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's a good point popmama. But then, why would a slug climb a plant stand to get to a hosta when there are other hosta planted directly in the soil?

I think after a rain slugs get around everywhere! I have found them on the blades of grass in my garden; on my ornamental grasses; on my deck and on top of the flower stalks! That one was a surprise! (I wasn't even looking way up there!)

I like the fact that the pellets are protected against the rain, my watering and the wind. I will have a look eventually and see whether the pellets are still there or not. I want to make the next one with the pellet holder closer to the soil.

Lindalana---do you think the slugs are able to get to your pellets by crawling under the saucer?

Original Author
    6 years ago

That looks great tsbccowboy! I love it! Thanks for sharing. I notice that you have what looks like pine needles as a mulch. That may help to slightly lift the clay saucer off the ground. I don't use any mulch but certainly have small sticks which I might put under the rim of the saucer. Now I have to see if I actually have a small clay saucer. Hmmm. I suppose a small clay pot would also do the trick. Great idea to have the wire basket over the saucer and pellets! I'm going to try it!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida