Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joanheath

Need help with bathroom

joanheath
6 years ago

This is a recently renovated bathroom. However, it needs something. The walls are currently painted with BM horizon which have a green undertone, to me with the white/grey carera marble. I was thinking of repainting the walls with BM Oxford White to give a more crisp feel. OR do I add a white wainscotting behind the tub, and paint the upper portion with BM revere pewter?

Also, since the window is small, what window treatment should I go with? Should I do a patterneed roman blind OR white shears? Should I add a tub level (narrow 5") shelf between the wall and tub and add an accent Vase or something? Since this photo was taken, we have installed a white linen cabinet across from the vanity whicj approx 5 feet wide by 7' high and have relocated the towel rack, to the left of the toilet, above the tub. Any help is appreciated.

Comments (31)

• Mikki Bench
    6 years ago

Hi Joan, I'm thinking that a wrap around curtainrod to the right wall side of the tub to infront of the tub will create a private bathing environment. I notice theres no handrails around the tub and maybe thats an appropriate measure too that would be hidden by the curtain. Once you decide what curtain makes a statement, then you can make a choice on a small window curtain.I've just gotten into using auto window tint on my bedroom windows .. the 2.5% transmission stuff and its so great, reduces the snow glare significantly

joanheath thanked Mikki Bench
  • zabba23
    6 years ago
    We have used frosted window film for privacy; when well-applied it turns out great and you don’t lose the light. I think the room looks lovely with the bare window but a blind or shade in a natural wood tone would bring in more of a spa feel if that’s something you might like. You could add to that idea with woven storage baskets, etc.
    joanheath thanked zabba23
  • Katelyn
    6 years ago
    Beautiful bathroom! I don’t think you need to paint unless you really want to. But I think it’s more of a proportion issue with the art by the window. I wouldn’t add a shelf with a plant, I’d probably switch to a larger piece of art that’s a tall rectangular shape. I’d keep it clean and simplistic. A Roman shade would be pretty if you need privacy, otherwise I’d leave it as is. The window trim is pretty and it keeps it bright in there.
    joanheath thanked Katelyn
  • PRO
    TaLord Interior Design
    6 years ago

I'm loving your remodeled bath! Nice job! Yet...its does need a few touches. I guess, if you are planning on adding a window treatment, I'd also try and disguise the fact that the window is not centered on the tub. Maybe something like this in a simple drape that could be pulled for privacy.

I think the room is a bit sterile (I prefer color to all white rooms), but design to your preferences! I guess I'd paint. Start with the wall behind the tub as an accent. You could try your pewter color to make the gorgeous tub pop. I like the aqua in the bath rug...do you like a soothing blue/green color? Do more walls till you like the balance of color to white. I don't think the beadboard idea is quite right. Beadboard is too traditional and you have some nice modern elements in the room.

Have fun!

joanheath thanked TaLord Interior Design
  • joanheath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Talord & Finders interiors. Thank you for your suggestions. I wasnt thinking headboard. I was thinking of trim wainscotting like this.

However I like your idea of a feature wall, maybe in revere pewter or another warm colour? I agree a curtain would help disguise the fact the window is not centrered over the tub. Would you suggest a short, white curtain? We have acreage out the window so, I am not concerned for privacy and wouldn't want to frost the window. I do like to see the beautiful view of there.

• joanheath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Katelyn, I like your suggestion to add a larger piece of art next to the window.

• houssaon
    6 years ago

I'd pick a blue from that rug and paint the wall behind the tub and add a large piece of art to balence the window. I'd pick up the blue color in the towels and other artwork. The brown is bring this room down.

joanheath thanked houssaon
  • PRO
    TaLord Interior Design
    6 years ago

Hi Joan, you did say wainscoting...sorry. I figured you meant beadboard. Personally, I still think the additional trim is too traditional. I say, skip it.

As for paint: I assume the pewter color coordinates with the tile? That's first. Then don't be timid! Have enough saturation to the paint color to make a statement. If you do a darker accent wall, then yes, you can do a simple drape in a crisp white. Perhaps it could be textural for interest....waffle weave, etc. even if you don't ever draw the drape, it would finish the window, and add softness and interest.

• suezbell
    6 years ago

The two small pieces crowd that larger art above the toilet and the two small pieces alone beside the window look out of place. Perhaps you could put all four on the same wall with better spacing -- the smaller ones placed in pairs, one over the other, on the wall above the towel rack with the larger one centered over the toilet. A shelving unit the same height as the window frame and placed as far from the left wall as the window is from the right wall would be both useful for bath soap and shampoo and, in my opinion, more visually appealing as well.

joanheath thanked suezbell
  • joanheath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Talord & Finders interior, I like your suggestions. I will look at the colour and potential drapes. Thanks.

• joanheath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jhmarie. Love the pictures! Beautiful inspiration for wonderful bathroom. I also love the Roman shade for colour. SW sea salt is a beautiful colour. I have another smaller bathroom painted (in another place) in that colour and I will compare it with revere pewter before painting. Thank you for that suggestions.

• PRO
    TaLord Interior Design
    6 years ago

I have used Sherwin Williams, 6463, Breaktime. It's so pretty!

• joanheath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I will take a look at that colour, thanks. Is there a concern that green in a bathroom can affect the lighting when applying makeup?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

Your decor on the wall is so random. Nothing in design is random.

I would place the towels where they are needed and create a color block to balance the offset window. Then I would apply lath strips to your wall for texture.

Towels for the sink need to be placed within reach of the sink, not across the walkway.

joanheath thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • jhmarie
    6 years ago

These greens are more subtle. I have one bathroom with green (and two blue) - but it is my son's, so he doesn't care:) I've not noticed a problem, but all the bathrooms have either white tile or white beadboard wainscot - so the color is not all over.

These colors can appear different in different situations and lighting. Get some sample jars and paint some large pieces of foam board and set them in the bathroom. Put one close to where you do your make-up. Check at different times of the day, That might give you some idea of color and reflection.

joanheath thanked jhmarie
  • joanheath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Beverly, are the lath strips on the walls something's like shiplap? How wide would they be? It looks like 4" is that correct? Also, What do you mean by colour block? A piece of art or something painted? I've not heard that term before.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

darker color on walls. no blind. it's obscure glass, right? why cover it? get some artwork, the wainscot if you must,,,I still think a darker color would lend some contrast. greens/blues/charcoal gray,,whatever you prefer. heck, I'm loving the lavender tones now. I'd love to see this Amethyst Sky or something similar used with that marble.

too dark? try Raindrops on Roses BM, it's a gray/lavender.

do a dark gray bathmat,,,,white wainscot,,,,bring in a pink/purple/white orchid,,,,new towels....install a floating wood shelf to the left of window and put an orchid and trailing green plant on it. a little teak stool next to toilet.

for the warmth factor,,look at this pic,,,,if you took away everything brown, alive or wood, look how cold it looks. get a wood tray and put between your sinks. add some plants. a basket, the wood shelf w/air plants or something.

joanheath thanked Beth H. :
  • joanheath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jhmarie, thank you for your suggestions. This window is west facing and has a lot of afternoon light. I'm sure you are right is saying the greens today are more subtle so I will test the sample at different times of the days as well. Thanks.

• joanheath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Beth H, Wowsers. You certainly have given me something to think about. I do love the natural elements like wood and plants in the room. I'm going to look at the raindrop for sample and see what it would look like. Thanks.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

great! if you saw my bathroom, you'd understand why I'm a plant nut (its under my name)

this is industrial, but take away the piping.

some other ways for wood,,,some art,,an orchid..

this color orchid and white w/the lavender/gray wall color,,wood,,,lovely.

hang them in the corner

joanheath thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

Below is a room that relies on 'color block', so in this case I am referring to the towels which make a design statement as I have added them to the room.

Lath is wood or synthetic strip surface applied to the wall. 1" x 10' or 8' only about 1/4" in thicknes. I used your window trim to set the rhythm /spacing on the wall and that looks to me that the strips are about 12" +/- apart. See images below. It's a very inexpensive way to add texture and interest to a wall.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/8-ft-Pressure-Treated-Fill-It-Strip-0101952/202090614

• PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    6 years ago

You have done a great job with your bath. Simple and elegant. Artwork on wall for color and textured rug. Nude silhouettes or other artwork to your taste in scale to balance window on wall behind bath. Simple roman shade if you need privacy as below. Enjoy your new bath

joanheath thanked Jodie White Designs
  • joanheath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Beverly, thank you for your lath strip idea. I am going to see where I can put that as it adds a beautiful texture for sure.

• joanheath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jodie, thank you for your ideas. The naked silhouete, textured rug and simple roman shade are wonderful ideas.

• Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

I think I would start with art work. It is probably the cheapest and you can decide what direction you want to go after that.

I think if you start out by adding a color, in the towels and a large picture with that color repeated over the toilet. A smaller longer picture with that color between the tub and window or a patterned window treatment that acts like the window is centered on the wall.

Your bathroom is lovely. It just needs to be finished!

joanheath thanked Kathi Steele
  • joanheath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kathi, you have great suggestions. You made me think of a piece of art we had purchased while on a trip to the Galápagos Islands. It is a seahorse, about 3' high and I am wondering now if I can place it either next to the window OR above the toilet? I've attached - (not so great)'pic however,, since we moved, the art is no longer located in a wall niche and I needs a new home. I could add other accents with that aqua colour in a towel, rug or another piece of art. Is this crazy or a possibility?

• joanheath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I found a picture of one similar to the seahorse we purchased and wonder if I can incorporate this is the bathroom. thoughts!

• Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

See, there you go!! Yes, that looks great.

Pull some of the color for towels and wash clothes and step out mat from the shower or rug. Use one of the colors for some counter top accessories!

Try these and see if that was what you were looking for to finish your bathroom!

• joanheath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here is the new paint colour along with new cabinets. Not sure what window treatment now. White or wood? Suggestions?

• Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

How pretty! It turned out wonderful! I think white might not draw attention to the window, whereas wood would make it stand out.