Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ploapgusset

Aloe polyphylla seedling looks wilted/has a low leaf replacement rate

ploapgusset
6 years ago

Hello! I have an A. polyphylla plant that I started from seed last summer, but it seems to be having a hard time at the moment. It has a rather low leaf replacement rate and the leaves it has now are losing their turgidity and seem damaged.

This could be a coincidence but I noticed some of the wilting happening when I moved the plant closer to my grow lights for the winter, so maybe I stressed it out on accident/it's getting too much light somehow? So I moved it to the windowsill farther away.

I'm keeping it in cactus soil and have been adding water via squirt bottle to it once per day or once every other day since it's still young and I hear A. polyphylla prefers moister soil than other Aloes.

Thanks a bunch!

Here are some photos of it.

I also took a look at its root system but that seems to be looking alright as far as I can tell.

Comments (11)

• s g
    6 years ago

Looks OK to me, just leave it in lower light. I have 3 seedlings which started to suffer under too much light but are now doing well in lower light. Don't disturb the roots like you have unless you are sure there is something major wrong otherwise you may cause more problems uprooting such a small plant.

ploapgusset thanked s g
  • ploapgusset
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks! I'll try keeping it in lower light for a while then.

It's supposed to be on its 5th or 6th leaf right now, but it has been losing them at the same rate as they've been coming in so hopefully this will help!

• rredbbeard
    6 years ago

Bear in mind that this is the only aloe species (that I know of) that requires constant moisture, cool temps, and bright light. DON'T reduce the light level--that will kill it for sure. These should have a potting mixture consisting of perlite, pumice gravel, and any commercial potting mix, in a ratio of ~3:3:2, but this ratio is approximate. The mix you'e using would be ok if you add pumice/GrowStone, which should be available at most hydroponic stores.

This species requires cool feet, and nearly full sun, even as a seedling. Water it thoroughly every day with cool water. I don't know what part of the country you're in, but as soon as the evening temperatures are staying >35°F, place it outdoors in a spot protected from full noon sun, and shade the pot so that it doesn't warm up much. I've never planted any of mine in the ground, but I understand that they are slug magnets, and won't survive.

These grow very fast when they're small, and I suggest that the pot size should always be at least 2" wider than the plant. To save time, I'd start with a 5" or 6" terra cotta pot, not plastic. Later, repot into 12", and later into 17" or larger.

I'll be happy to give you more advice if you like, but hopefully this information will help your little plant to recover. Healthy roots are bright orange.

Here are some pictures of mine from last year. The snow shot was in early March 2016, and the largest pots in that picture are 22" and weigh close to 200 pounds. Once they're large, they're fine with a mild frost or borderline freezing conditions down to 25° at the lowest. The other picture shows a few of the others on a south stairway. I generally position other plants to shade the pots. Most of these are badly in need of larger pots!

I hope this helps!

Rick in CT

all images copyrighted

2016©RRedBBeard@yahoo.com

Same day, temperature ~29°F--they're lovin' it! The snow was almost entirely gone by the end of the day:

Most of these are badly in need of larger pots--my bad!! These are among those buried in snow, shown above.

ploapgusset thanked rredbbeard
  • ploapgusset
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone! I ended up giving it some fresh succulent mix, but ended up mixing Acid Lovers Mix into it as well since I also recalled reading that they like having a "tea" of organic matter around. I've also been keeping it much more moist and it seems to have improved a lot! It's able to hold onto four leaves at a time now. It's also been living on the windowsill, which has been keeping it cool as well.

• laticauda
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Very cool growing. I bought seeds but convinced myself not to try since they need such cool temperatures to be happy.

It's looking a lot better now!

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    6 years ago

Very bad to disturb the roots. They don't like there roots touched. I just purchased some seeds myself. Bought in US but supplier told me they got them from China. I never had any success with China seeds. Mostly wrong seed or dead seed. While after two weeks not one germinated. What do you expect for under $10 for a hundred seeds. I grew them and many other seeds before so I know it's not me. I think the X-rays used in mail shipping could be killing seeds. Possible it's old dead seed as well. I know they could sprout up to a few months but if no signs are visible in two weeks them they are dead.

Where do you guys buy your seeds from.

• rredbbeard
    6 years ago

I gave up several years ago buying seeds from China. I heard too many stories of people getting chia seeds no matter what they had purchased. If you see blue watermelons or incredible rainbow roses for sale on eBay, you don't have to guess where the ads originated.

Regarding a.polyphylla, the seeds benefit from being carefully nicked, or sanded, and then soaked and frozen for a few days. I kid you not! Sanding them involves taking two pieces of 120 sandpaper putting a couple of seeds on one and then rubbing the two pieces of paper together for a few seconds. Germination could take a month or so, but with this treatment they can germinate in as little as a week.

Laticauda-- your area is only a couple of degrees warmer than where I am, and I have no problem maintaining the aloes now. If you have a basement area that stays barely above freezing all winter long, you're all set! It's advisable to give them an LED light reflector when they're indoors like that. On warm days especially, with inadequate light, the leaves will become etoliated, which is the death knell for this species. I killed a couple of aloes this way when I first started growing the species 5 years ago.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    6 years ago

Red, Thanks for the advise. I did know from learning the hard way about China seeds. First time I got mixed aloe and hybrids (which wasn't too bad), the next time I got wild grass seed, the third time nothing. That's why I purchased them from a U.S. seller. Afterwards I asked where they got their seeds from, they said China. I informed the seller about my former mishaps but they said there seed was good. I used the method of soaking (about 1/3) of the seeds in warm water overnight with Rootone added to the water. I used this before and got about 1/2 germination rate. With 100 seeds to start with, two weeks I should have had at least 10, but I got nothing. Live and learn.

• ploapgusset
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This is the listing that I got my A. polyphylla from!

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1286774078

• rredbbeard
    6 years ago

I couldn't access that site unfortunately, or maybe fortunately!

Remember that warmth is not a friend of this aloe species. Cold soak, and freezing will enhance germination....

--Rr

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!