Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nidnay

Cannot procrastinate any longer with hardware choice

Nidnay
6 years ago
Ok, so I can’t put this off any longer. I’ve been waiting to decide on my kitchen cabinet hardware (finish), and I really have to make my decision now (need to install appliance pulls). It’s either black/ORB, or polished nickel.

My perimeter plumbing fixtures are polished nickel (with marble counter). My island is an oiled walnut top with copper sink and brass/copper faucet (two designers said this mix of copper was OK with the rest of the kitchen...am a bit nervous about it). Floors will be a medium stain. Will wait to do the backsplash and island fixture. I also haven’t figured out how I will finish the range-hood. Again, that will be decided as the pieces of the puzzle start getting put in place. I’m the type that has to see things develop....cannot make all these decisions at one time without seeing how they actually look together.

The adjoining breakfast room has Black/ORB lighting fixtures and all my door hardware is black. The kitchen is also open to the great room, and there are built-ins there that will have Black/ORB hardware.

I keep going back and forth between polished nickel and black/ORB. I am leaning towards polished, but that’s a lot of shiny for me.

I am also leaning towards this Currey fixture for the island but I’m open to anything.

Comments (8K)

• happyleg
    3 years ago

That's a nice rug and pillows and I like the puff nut day

• happyleg
    3 years ago

Nidnay

• Nidnay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hahaha....I was trying to figure out what “nut day” meant 😂

• ladma
    3 years ago

Nidnay, I love revisiting your beautiful home. Thanks fir the peek at the new pillows.

• ladma
    3 years ago

For the peek

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Nidnay-perfection. Just love everything you do. Definitely worth the wait. The colors are so calming and relaxing. Just what is needed these days!

Nidnay thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

that came out so nice. I'd love to be in that chair reading a good book. all that beautiful light. well done nut day....i mean, er, kidney, er nidnay ! lol

Nidnay thanked Beth H. :
  • shwshw
    3 years ago

Love your pillows! Each one is so special. Enjoy

Nidnay thanked shwshw
  • suzyq53
    3 years ago

Everything you do is magic. It's all really beautiful. Have a a very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy New Year!

We didn't do much as far as decorating just our pathetic little tree. I could have skipped it but Tom is recovering from ankle fusion surgery on the couch and wanted some cheer.

Nidnay thanked suzyq53
  • Nidnay
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@suzyq53....hello! Haven’t seen you on here for a bit. Fusion surgery...ouch....give him lots of cheer!

@Beth H. : haha.....kidney...I remember :)

@Flo Mangan.... YES! We definitely need some calming! (That’s a calm exclamation point BTW).

@RHM...so funny, but there was a package on my front porch that my husband just brought in from Rug and Home (where I purchased the rug a year ago) and this is the second “Thank you” batch of THE most delicious baklava I have ever had. I guess if you buy a crazy expensive rug from them, you can count on baklava for years to come 😂

• ngcurt
    3 years ago

Have lurked this whole time, stunning as always. I’m really disappointed that you’ve had that lamp for a long time, I was read to order it instantly. Happy holidays to all

• Nidnay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Molly & @ngcurt....Just realized there are two lamps pictured. The TABLE lamp is the one I’ve had for years. The floor lamp I’ve had about a year (which gives off really pretty light because of the shades)....

1 - New Build in Process... · More Info

• Molly
    3 years ago

Thanks Nidnay, I was talking about the floor lamp. It’s so unique!

• Nidnay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@ngcurt...haha....ok, floor lamp....Haverty’s. Here’s a link. The photo of it on their web sight is truly horrible (as you can see from my pics). I have white Christmas lights in a wicker vase placed in front of the lamp because I’m not a fan of the black base. .I do keep the lights up all year :)

• ngcurt
    3 years ago

Thank you!

• pink_peony
    3 years ago

One of my clients has that floor lamp!

pretty pillows Nidnay. 😉

I was on a 6 hour appointment trying to find a rug just like the one you have yesterday.

Nidnay thanked pink_peony
  • Nidnay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@pink_peony....rugs are HARD. You truly can’t tell how they’ll look until you get them in the space, and who wants to lug home a huge, heavy rug only to find out it doesn’t work. And buying them online is equally difficult because of computer color issues.

It’s actually a shame to cover the rug with furniture because it’s hard to appreciate the pattern and color when it’s all covered over. Here it is hanging in the showroom. It really is a pretty rug.

• pink_peony
    3 years ago

@Nidnay do you have a name for it? I typed in the number on the tag and nothing came up in the search. But if I had a manufacturer/brand I might find it. It is a beautiful rug. These colors have been hard to find. Found two beauties yesterday but it’s like I want to combine the two to get the right color combo 😂. I have a rug rep who brings up rugs from Nashville but he hasn’t had any im The color way I’m looking for. This was one beauty i loved yesterday but my clients wasn’t thrilled.

• Nidnay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Pink...why not call up Rug and Home (link above) and give them the number from the tag. Once you talk to them, you can actually email them a pic of it which will help them to locate one or something similar.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

That rug is so gorgeous. Next house! Lol

• Nidnay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@pink_peony .....Ha! Look what I found....

• Nidnay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Flo....ha....that should be soon. Aren’t you moving?

• Nidnay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Window Accents by Vanessa Downs...so....I bought these ready made drapes (don’t yell at me). How do I keep the rings from sliding on the rod and make the folds stay put?

Here’s a photo. I used clip-on rings (because that was easiest), but obviously this is not a great look (and they’re too long....I don’t want them laying on the floor). Is there a way the drapes can be spruced up to look more custom (hooks, pleating etc.). I guess the question is can a skilled person kind of redo them?

Ignore pillows and bed skirt and lamp...in process of replacing.

• zazfuzzroc
    3 years ago

Maybe a weighted hem?

No idea though...lol not a Pro. 😊

• kimjapinga
    3 years ago

That room is incredible. Love the windows, view and sconces. You have such a terrific eye for design. I would love it in the spring or summer for an update on the landscaping (if you don’t mind sharing)

• zazfuzzroc
    3 years ago

Your room looks pretty...those windows, geez... a dream. 🥰

So, fill us in... will you share the changes with us? I am pretty sure everyone would love to see what you do next...

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

What is the backer tape like? You might be able to take the clip on the ring and attach it lower on that backing. It would raise the panel probably close to enough that they wouldn’t need hemming. If that worked, you could fold and stack them and wrap them with ribbon or some material to keep them in place and have professional clearers press them into that shape. That would work if the fabric isn’t polyester. If poly, they won’t press up. Can you also use smaller size rings? Those are some thoughts to consider if you haven’t already.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Cleaners

• suzyq53
    3 years ago

You could try pleat hooks. If you can attach them lower without your rings, you might get the curtains off the floor.

• Molly
    3 years ago

Here is a hack I saw on IG (hope the link work). Worth a try if your tape looks like the video.
    https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxpZ2h0OjE3ODgyMTQxNDczNjAwNDc0?igshid=4gsvtx00yaid&story_media_id=2310640300300151098

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

Nidnay are the drapes functional or stationary?

A independent work room can take them and dismantle them hem them , weight them and pleat them with drapery pins so they will hang properly. But honestly the savings you may have gotten from buying ready mades is lost at that point because it is much more work to dismantle and reconstruct than it is to just construct them. Plus they will decrease by half if they are pleated so if they are functional I don't see how you will have enough fabric there for them to close over each window. If they are stationary panels once pleated and reconstructed they may end up looking a bit wimpy and lack fullness with the amount of fabric it appears you have.

Not trying to be a negative Nelly just what I have learned from experience. I know you hate covering your windows though so maybe you only want a thin width?

Nidnay thanked Design Interior South
  • PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    3 years ago

Sorry I’ve been sewing today! I agree with everything Pink said. You will pay a hefty price to have the panels reworked properly. I also looked at the hack Molly posted and that could be a possibility. You could set the pins far enough down on the header that it might raise them more off the floor. Relate a bit of a taller header so it hides a bit of your rod and rings. I take those clips off and use the loop to put the pins. Those alligator clips scream ready made!

Did the panels come with a rod pocket? If so you can run the rod through the pocket and eliminate the rings. That will get them more off the floor too. I still do rod pocket drapes from time to time and when dressed out properly, they look fantastic. When dressing them, use your hands to fan fold the panels and put a band of paper around them at the top middle and bottom (use tape to secure paper bands). Keep them banded for several days and you can use your hands to help softy crease the folds. Once removed they should look better.

This is a photo of single width rod pocket draperies with a slight drag on the floor. Hey are dressed out to have a pleated appearance.

Nidnay thanked Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
  • PRO
    3 years ago

I’m rereading my post and typing errors! Where it says “relate” I meant it will create

• Nidnay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks @zazfuzzroc....they are weighted, but obviously not enough. Yes, will update everyone as changes are made. But you should know by know....I am ....SLOW. I need to be more like Pink. She’s like a house on fire!

@kimjapinga .....will definitely update in spring and summer. I’m already itching for warm weather and for my garden to come alive again!

Thanks Flo, sq, Molly, pink, and Vanessa. You all have me thinking about my options.

@pink_peony...I don’t think youre being a negative Nellie at all. I agree with you. I’m just looking for stationary panels, so nothing operational, but I do NOT like skimpy panels!

@Window Accents by Vanessa Downs....panels do have a rod pocket, but I don’t care for that look, which is why I chose the lovely clip-ons that “scream ready-made” wah😭

This is actually the look I like (which is why I knew up front I should do custom, but chose not to because I didn‘t want to spend the money on a guest room). Also, they’re difficult windows to dress nicely/properly with minimal investment.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

So I think Pink, Vanessa and I are basically saying similar things. I didn’t suggest the “remake” method because I know that would cost more than you saved so what’s the purpose. I used the alligator clips behind the header as I described and spent 1/4 of what custom would have cost because we are leasing. They are in our master br and actually look very nice. So just depends on your needs and wishes. I love light from windows as you do and dislike most drapery except where privacy is needed. Would rather spend on art or furnishings! Like gorgeous pillows! Lol. Yes, we likely will be moving sometime next year. Our landlord lost his wife this spring and he relied on her for managing finances. He is getting pressure from her family to sell this place. We have asked him twice what price he plans on setting so we can do an analysis of whether we want to buy or move. He hasn’t responded as of now. I am very familiar with real estate in this area and I know what this house would appraise at so we will see what he says. I believe he is underwater because they bought high end of market and put highend systems in and probably will never get their money out. Even though the market has been strong here and prices have gone up, they haven’t reached the levels of 5-6 years ago. So I am not very patient and have been looking at homes for lease here but nothing very good has turned up. I suspect things will be slow until early February so I am hoping we have some good luck in the months ahead.

• pink_peony
    3 years ago

Just saying this for future......you can find beautiful fabric and get very reasonable priced custom draperies That look like you paid $$$$$. It’s the price of the fabric that runs up custom made price.

case in point.

• Nidnay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Flo Mangan ..I definitely appreciate the input about putting clips behind the header. I might give that a shot as a stopgap until I decide where to go with this. I just spent a pretty penny on motorized blinds in the master and master bath and have the guest room ones on order so wasn’t quite ready to go all out for drapes. Let me tell you, after living with them, I LOVE my motorized blinds! They’re on a schedule, so I don’t even have to think about them. Honestly, worth every penny. Hoping that somehow you’re not forced to move.....that would be a real pain since you haven’t been there that long.

@pink_peony....good point on cheaper fabric. Much of it is OUTRAGEOUSLY priced. Even the trim on my pillows was ridiculous. I loved how you did your master bedroom window treatments. Such a pretty room...you painted the furniture I think. Loved it all.

@Window Accents by Vanessa Downs....is there a trick in keeping drapery rings from sliding on the rod and make them stay put?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Love that leading edge trim Pink on the panels. That probably cost more than the panels?! Beautiful though. By economizing on fabric I have stretched many a budget to get those special features for a higher end look on a tight budget! Very pretty!

• PRO
    3 years ago

Nidnay I take it you won’t be using these drapes for privacy since you mentioned getting shades in there. One idea to keep the rings from moving is to apply double sided sticky tape on the top of the rod in the area of the first ring (leading edge). The drapery header you showed in the above photo that you want to recreate can be done using rings. You use double the amount of rings to get that column look. I’ll see if I can find a photo for you to help visualize it. It’s all about spacing the rings to achieve the look. I’ll find a photo and be back.

• Nidnay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Vanessa!! Photo would be GREAT.

• pink_peony
    3 years ago

@Flo Mangan that trim was more reasonable than you would think! My client was very happy.

for anyone looking for great trim prices ...Etsy!

thibaut just came out with a line of trims that are beautiful!

• PRO
    3 years ago

Your panels look to be a width so when you do this to them you may get 5 columns or less depending on the look you want. Note the rings on the rod and you’ll just have to play around with the clips on the panels to get that look. And sorry for saying those clips scream ready made! I can’t help myself.... ;-)

• PRO
    3 years ago

Basically two rings form each column.

• Nidnay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Vanessa.....SO helpful....thanks!

I’ve been ruined, I will never look at clip-ons the same way 😂

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

Nidnay, if you're interested in some tile samples.....Tile Bar currently had 5 free samples with zero shipping on their website with code 5FORFREE.

Nidnay thanked Design Interior South
  • Nidnay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for that pink!

• Nidnay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I started a little post for input on breakfast room chairs (just got a new table). Please come visit and give me your opinions! LINK

• niccidhg
    3 years ago

Hi , Nidnay. I just tried to post a comment on the link , but was not able to post. Here is my comment :

• PRO
    Kingston Brass
    2 years ago

Hi! Wow your room designs are stunning! You choose really great color palette's that the décor accents perfectly!