Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

S SPACECOAST daylilies only! 2018

Today is Spacecoast daylilies only! Watch the next week for more S's, there will be three more posts for S. Today's quote: “E Harmony matched me up with Jack Daniels.”

Sherry

Comments (19)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    6 years ago

LOL Sherry on Mr. Daniels.......I've not tried that many of the SC daylilies, and right off the top of my head the only one I can think of now is Spacecoast Irish Illumination. A pretty thing that in my conditions does best in part shade..........Maryl

Spacecoast Irish Illumination:

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • DebbieON zn4-5
    6 years ago

Spacecoast daylilies surprisingly do quite well in my garden. I have more but no photos of all of them. I will be adding more Spacecoasts this spring.

Spacecoast Blast Off

Spacecoast Blood Diamond

Spacecoast Cool Deal

Spacecoast Cranberry Kid

Spacecoast Freaky Tiki

Spacecoast Gator Eye

Spacecoast Krinkles

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked DebbieON zn4-5
  • DebbieON zn4-5
    6 years ago

Spacecoast Sea Shell

Spacecoast Sharp Tooth

Spacecoast Spice Girl

Spacecoast Starburst

• daylilybedmaker
    6 years ago

Here are the SPACECOAST daylilies I grow:

SPACECOAST FREAKY TIKI: I have had it for two years and the verdict is still out on whether or not I like it. It is vigorous and reblooms. It went from three fans to 8 fans in a year.

SPACECOAST THORNY DEVIL: I received this plant as a single fan. It took a year to settle in. This past summer was its second full year and the fan was huge and at the end of the season, I had three fans.

I also grow SPACECOAST STARBURST, but I guess I haven't taken a recent picture of it It grows well, but the bud count is rather low.

David Zone 5

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked daylilybedmaker
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    6 years ago

I really like that orange SC Blast Off. Had missed it somewhere along the line and I like oranges.......I saw SC Freaky Tiki at a show one time and it was one of those daylilies that I didn't quite know if I liked or not. It is different...............Maryl

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We grow quite a few of the Spacecoast daylilies.

Spacecoast Better Late didn't like our climate so it left the garden.

Spacecoast Blood Diamond hangs in there.

Spacecoast Brazen Bandit is planted in a bad spot and will soon be moved (when we get rid of enough daylilies to find it a new spot for it).

Spacecoast Color Scheme grows like crazy. It is a small-flowered one.

Spacecoast Golden Thimble is a small flowered one.

We photographed Spacecoast Grape Biter in a friend's garden.

Spacecoast Lemon Whiskers is a superb yellow.

Spacecoast Shellcracker has amazing color, but the sepals are often not very nice.

Spacecoast Thorny Devil doesn't increase much but blooms reliably every season.

We love the rich color of Spacecoast Velvet Valentine.

That's all I have good pictures of.

Nancy

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • Pat
    6 years ago

I also love Spacecoast Velvet Valentine Nancy.

SPACECOAST BOLD SCHEME

SPACECOAST COLOR SCHEME

SPACECOAST COTTON CANDY - reblooms here but it doesn't like our winters much

SPACECOAST FRANCIS BUSBY - I love what this has given me for seedlings

SPACECOAST FREAKY TIKI - reblooms here and increases well - low bud count

SPACECOAST HOT TOPIC

SPACECOAST MULTILEVEL DEAL - I'm, sure it sometimes must look a bit better than in this photo. Not great in my zone.

SPACECOAST SCRAMBLED - does not love our winters but does rebloom

SPACECOAST SEA SHELLS - reblooms but tender

SPACECOAST TECHNICAL KNOCK OUT - reblooms, good B+B and can sometimes look wonderful in a clump

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Pat
  • Pat
    6 years ago

SPACECOAST SUNSHINE - 4.5" flower on 26" scapes, reblooms, great branching, 30+ buds, good substance - love it

SPACECOAST TINY PERFECTION - perfectly formed 3" flower - reblooms here

SPACECOAST TWICE IS NICE

SPACECOAST VELVET VALENTINE - reblooms here, good branching, lovely color

Since we don't seem to have too, too many of these, here are some Spacecoast daylilies that no longer live here because I just didn't like them enough.

SPACECOAST CRANBERRY BREEZE

SPACECOAST CRANBERRY KID

SPACECOAST DRAGON PRINCE

SPACECOAST FANCY DANCER

SPACECOAST PICOTEE PRINCE

SPACECOAST STARBURST

• Brad KY 6b
    6 years ago

I have no Spacecoast daylilies but I am enjoying all of yours. My favorites of the above are Blastoff, Blood Diamond, and Irish Illumination.

I had one, Starburst, back in the late 1990s but it was pathetic and I got rid of it.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I’ve never had any Spacecoasts in my garden, I don’t think I’ve ever seen any available locally. I do have a few favorites today, Maryl's Irish Illumination, Debbie and Celeste’s Krinkles, 99's Dragon Prince. It seems in general that a lot of you aren’t overly impressed with a lot of these, or am I reading this wrong?

Sherry

• Pat
    6 years ago

They were bred in Florida, Sherry and probably many of the ones we are showing might prefer it there. I haven't bought any Spacecoast daylilies in recent years, so perhaps things have changed.

• signet_gw(6b)
    6 years ago

Spacecoast Seashells ....... I almost lost this one last spring with the sitting water that kept freezing and thawing . Hoping to see it has recovered this spring .

I also grow Spacecoast Starburst

and remember being so stoked about adding this one to my gardens years ago. Many daylilies and many more moments of being excited adding new plants since then , this one still makes me happy.

I added Spacecoast Sharp Tooth and Spacecoast Spice Girl last season but late in the season so really looking forward to seeing them bloom this year . The next Spacecoast I would like to add is Spacecoast Frances Busby .

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked signet_gw(6b)
  • tarheelgirl_7b
    6 years ago

SPACECOAST MODERN SYMMETRY - added in Fall 2016, bloomed in 2017.

SPACECOAST TIGERTAIL TANGO - also added in Fall 2016, did well in 2017.

Thanks for looking!

Lori

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked tarheelgirl_7b
  • hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    6 years ago

Now that Jamie Gossard has gone in with John Kinnebrew (the hybridizer of the Spacecoast daylilies), many of the Spacecoast daylilies are being tested in Jamie's Ohio garden. His website now lists the recommended zones for the new ones.

Nancy

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    6 years ago

Lori: I like SC Tigertail Tango. A nice orange patterned UF.......I did run across another Spacecoast daylily. When I saw it's picture I thought it would be more on the orange side. In person the red is definitely the predominant color.

SC Francis Busby:

Maryl

• DebbieON zn4-5
    6 years ago

I am adding more Spacecoast daylilies this year, but like all the Florida daylilies it can be hit and miss, just like the Stamiles, Grace, Smiths etc. I have never been able to grow Kirchoffs or Salters here. I like the form of the Spacecoast flowers generally, very elegant, like alot of Stamiles and Carrs.

• AaronK79
    6 years ago

Spacecoast Cranberry Breeze

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked AaronK79
  • shive
    6 years ago

Daylily99 - I'd love to see your seedlings from SC Francis Busby. I grow that one, and it does very well here.

SC Francis Busby is a good rebloomer.

SC Ojo Rojo is short, but was a super performer last summer.

SC Night Vision was new, and only one of the two scapes flowered. I hope it made it through the winter, since I planted it late in the fall.

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive