Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angela_smith7792

blank slate open concept - need furniture

Angela Smith
6 years ago
We are in an open concept home and need to furnish the great room (19x19). We need either a couch or sectional and some chairs. I know some people don't like sectionals but we're open to it. We'd like seating for at least 6-7 people. This is our only living space. TV will be staying but will be upgraded, as will the media console sole below.

The loveseat pictured is gone. So truly we're just working around the rug. Walls are SW Collonade Gray (warm gray). I like a monochromatic palette with accent pops of color. Prefer neutral furniture.

We are a family of 4 with two kids under 10. Thanks for any help!

Comments (10)

• Angela Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Close up of rug
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Turn the rug so that it is horizontal to the fireplace. That is how you would position the sofa, as well.

Good news is that there is a floor plug right there, so you can have a sofa table with lamps.

If you could reposition the rug that way, push the love seat out of camera range and take another picture.

You need a substantial media piece (I like the color of the wood with your rug) and alhang the t v.

Transitional Project 1 · More Info

• Angela Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We tried the rug facing the fireplace (with our existing furniture that's not pictured) and didn't care for it. We like the rug in it's current position facing the TV. I know it's not as "designer-y" but this is our main living space and we prefer to face the TV.

Our preferred layout would be for the sofa to face the TV, and then either a loveseat and two chairs facing each other, or two sets of chairs facing each other.

• User
    6 years ago

Sunset Stream · More Info
    Here's a nice example of a monochromatic palette, fireplace and television on a nice console. In your space I think there is room for yet another chair and tables. Rather than a glass topped coffee table, a large upholstered round ottoman/coffee table would be a good choice with this set up and youngsters. Look at sofas with removable/washable slip covers for comfy use with family. Some color in pillows, art and lampshades would also be considered. Here's a look at a slip covered sofa from the Houzz shop: https://www.houzz.com/products/sunset-trading-horizon-slipcovered-sofa-linen-prvw-vr~32091784

• Angela Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Vistas, I love the 'idea' of a slipcovered sofa but in real life, I feel like they always look a little sloppy, like you can never get the slipcover taught enough!

Beverly, thank you! We will try a few different arrangements. I just can't find a sofa I like for the life of me! ... well, in my price range, which is $1500 or less ... it will be a 5-7 year sofa, not a forever sofa :) And I need to be able to sit on it beforehand, otherwise there are some nice ones on Houzz!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

What retailers are in your area? You should be able to find a sofa.

• Angela Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I know, I'm just being overly picky. I'm worried about the quality of the <$1000 sofas I see as I do need it to last 5+ years. There's just not a lot in the $1000-$1500 range, and the quality is probably not appreciably better. There are two retailers near me that carry Lee Industries sofas so maybe I need to revisit them.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

Turning the rug to face the fireplace is not 'designery'. The position of the rug just makes sense for your overall room layout and the kitchen island position.

• Angela Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, Beverly, I understand what you're saying now! We may have found a
    sofa - the Ava Slipcovered Sofa from Grandin Road. I was not originally
    thinking a slipcover, but it was soooo comfortable and deep. Fabric
    swatches are on their way!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm