Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darren_harwood

Bare root roses bloom in first year?

Darren Harwood
6 years ago

Hey everyone

I was under the impression that bare rooted roses bloom in their first year? I’ve read on several peoples Instagram pics that they didn’t get any flowers in the first season. Is that usually the case? I had such high hopes of seeing my roses this year.

:-/

Comments (27)

• User
    6 years ago

Yes they will flower in their first year. As far as I know from your posts I don't think you have any once blooming roses - the old fashioned types - all your Austin's and modern roses will bloom this year, however, with the cold wet Spring, everything is a couple of weeks behind, so you may not see any buds as yet. I have several roses that are still to show any buds, but I know they'll bloom later on.

No worries !

Darren Harwood thanked User
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

Darren, yes, you will see blooms this year. Personally I believe that my bare roots Bloom earlier and heavier than my potted roses.

Darren Harwood thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • jc_7a_MiddleTN
    6 years ago

All my bare roots are putting out new growth, but the HTs are agonizingly slow compared to the Floribundas and Polyanthas.

Darren Harwood thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • Darren Harwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ahhh that’s a huge relief! Phew!

I do have a few old once flowering roses including Rosa mundi. Will those ones not flower this year?

Appreciate you all getting back back to me. Excited!! XXXX

• User
    6 years ago

You might not get a bloom on Rosa mundi this year, or if you do it may only be one or two flowers. I have some once blooming old garden roses planted bare roots and I'm not expecting any flowers on those this year, if I get one or two then I shall appreciate that. I also have some bare root Austins new this year, and they do not have any buds at the moment, it's just a bit too soon, but they will later..

• Darren Harwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks M!

I shall have to be patient :)

Hope all yours exceed your expectations and more.

D x

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Oh thanks Darren, I'm waiting to see all yours too, and if your new roses are more advanced than mine, I want to know about it... [jealous]...

oh here's a couple more while I'm at it..

this is 'Gloire de Ducher' .. new bare root doing well...

this is 'Pearl Drift' a hybrid Bracteata, with glossy 'Mermaid' like foliage..

probably my most advanced bare root from the winter season..

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    6 years ago

Thanks for posting, Marlorena!

It’s very helpful to new growers like me who have no clue what to expect.

Here are a couple of mine that I planted about 4 weeks ago. They were both bagged as Joseph’s Coat, but clearly they aren’t the same. I’ll be surprised I guess.

• User
    6 years ago

Oh those are coming along nicely, 'Joseph's Coat' is such a multi colourful rose, I like it actually... I presume it'll be the top one?.. the one below looks like being a climber though too... it'll be fun finding out, even though this pains me to say so, but it happens all the time - wrong rose, but hopefully a pleasant surprise on the way..

• Embothrium
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

On once blooming roses of sufficient size at purchase the main source of reduced flowering is cutting back of the tops.

Container grown roses would tend to be blooming less due to being smaller at time of purchase, and that is all. So a big enough specimen in a big enough pot should bloom plenty, will often be in flower at time of presentation for sale. And some retailers here pot their bare-rooted roses before presenting them to the public - they have nothing that isn't a potted rose.

Since bare rooted roses have usually been cut back pretty hard during the time of potting at a garden center, if not at the production facility then early in the year like this often the only roses that will be seen with flowers are container grown ones.

Darren Harwood thanked Embothrium
  • lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

We were just commenting this morning on how the bare-root roses in pots were doing even better and with more blooms than the ones that arrived in pots.

I didn't realize that I had ordered some of them bare-root, just own-root, so I was quite nervous about them!

I know that some of this is probably company dependent but hopefully all will be glorious for you soon!

Darren Harwood thanked lavenderlacezone8
  • Darren Harwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you dear M, for your pics. I’ll take a few pics of my bare root roses and post them up so you can see how mine are doing. In all honesty, I’d say yours look bigger. Not by much though, so I shouldn’t worry. It’s just trying to find patience hah.

D xx

• Darren Harwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ps - love your Camellia! X

• Darren Harwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks to everyone else who replied too x

• Darren Harwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Some of my David Austin bare root roses today .... they’re all roughly the same size except for Gertrude Jekyll .... she’s smaller. Golden Celebration being the most fullest followed by Harlow Carr and Jude the obscure.

:)

• User
    6 years ago

wow, those are great, doing really good, some are better than mine I think. So you will get lots of nice roses on those in June and later. Love the foliage on these Austins at this time of year, as on all roses actually I find..

You look as though you've got good soil there, and an open site...

6 years ago

Darren, those are so healthy. You will soon have lovely blooms

• Darren Harwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ahh I’m so pleased you think, both Marlorena and Kristine, being long time rosegrowers. Just to hear you think they’ll bloom this year has made my day! Ahh! Cannot waaaait!

You’re right, I’m loving seeing all the different coloured foliage on all the roses. Every single rose is different in leaf colour. Beautiful.

I spotted my first rose buds last week on Rosa rugosa and a climber that I’m not sure of it’s name.

Here’s hoping it’s a great summer of blooms for us all.

D xx

6 years ago

Darren, you will soon have tons of lusious blooms and beautiful pictures to share.

My Julia Child is just days away from her first bloom and Munstead Wood isn't far behind.

So, here is a bare root Olivia Austin 7 weeks after planting so that you know that bare root take off quickly

kristine_legault's ideas · More Info

• Darren Harwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh my goodness, Kristine! I didn’t end up buying Olivia Austin ..... I must try to find room for her next bare root season. Yours is stunning. Pastel pink. Love!! I almost see a slight lavender tone to her. I think it might be my eccentric artistic eye going a bit wild?

Thanks for sharing. Big kiss. X

6 years ago

I think Olivia is the color of wedding cake . She is a pretty girl but you also have some very very pretty roses yourself and we can't have them all not for lack of trying however lol

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    6 years ago

Olivia is a beautiful cool toned pink. Sometimes she has a little of a lilac hue. She is really pretty in the twilight hours.

I love your photos Kristine!

6 years ago

Thank you. I think she is really a sweet rose.

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    4 years ago
    Darren, I have never seen so many different colours of folliage. They look beautiful and I don't know how I miss this post. Can't wait to see them bloom :)
    Joseph coat was the first rose my husband wanted to buy but never did Bec we heard it won't be good in our climate. Looking forward to your blooms.

Kristine your Olivia looks beautiful. What a pretty, sweet pink. I been seeing that rose all over Houzz. I have to order some DA's this year. I can't wait :)
    jin
    4 years ago
    You have to updated on your roses. I can't wait to see them soon
    jin
    4 years ago
    You have been so quiet besides it must be Spring in England..lol
    jin