Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinakc95

Help a newbie design and decorate new home!

tinakc95
6 years ago
Hi everyone! I’m new to the forum and BRAND NEW to designing and decorating our own home! Always lived in rentals with temporary (ie not nice) furniture before, so this is my first time trying to make a home our own! Super exciting but super intimidating. This is our first home so it’s quite small. The ceiling is 9ft high I believe. We’re looking for ways to maximize the space and make it look bigger than it really is. The annoying thing is the TV cable is on the wall beside the front door so we’re limited in where the TV and media unit can go. Any ideas or suggestions on furniture placement, tips, etc., would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)

• suezbell
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

First -- don't over extend your budget. If you get stressed out about money issues, you'll not be able to enjoy your new home.

Second -- don't over crowd or clutter up your limited space. Move in only what furnishings you actually need and use regularly and get rid of everything else -- sell it, give it to someone you know or donate it to a charity thrift store supporting a cause you believe in.

Third -- don't rush to decorate for the sake of decorating. It's better to leave a wall blank than just adding whatever art will fill the space. Take your time and enjoy the hunt.

tinakc95 thanked suezbell
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

Is this your cable connection in the red circle? You could probably have that moved to the opposite wall. What are your favorite colors that you will be using? I'd want some drapes that I could close for privacy ASAP, but that's me, and you may not mind that nice big double window. :-)

Looks like you could use a table, stand or bench near the front door to place things as you come in, perhaps with a mirror above. Maybe a nice rug also to wipe your feet on when the weather is bad.

tinakc95 thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • tinakc95
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes, that’s where the cable outlet is. Is it expensive to move cable outlets? I was thinking of putting a couch perpendicular to the door to create an entryway, then add a small table or shoe storage cabinet for keys by the door. This means we would have to move the cable outlet or go without cable and just watch Netflix and Apple TV. We would have cable in the bedroom instead.

Thanks for the tip to not rush to decorate! We are adding pieces in very slowly. Just a couch and bar stools for now. We kept our old coffee table and small dining table for now.

Closet storage is another big thing. We will probably buy closet units from ikea.
  • tinakc95
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Regarding favourite colours, we want to go with white, grey, light blue, bronze, light beige, etc. Simple colours and we will dress it up with colourful cushions. We're thinking of adding wall paneling/wainscoting on some walls as well. Or maybe a textured wall? But no rush to do wall stuff for now.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz