Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnydrew

Has anyone used SORRELL color Corian for kitchen counters?

sunnydrew
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I want to re-do this kitchen's countertops with Sorrell color by Corian. I would like to see another kitchen done with this color first and hear what the owners think. There is only one I have found so far by Googling it, and the color is not well depicted. In fact there are many pictures online that are called Sorrell but are not it. I would like to see a large slab of it before buying it myself.
I also am considering putting in frosted type glass in my 42" upper cabinet panels. Any comments are aappreciated to hep update this 10 year old "builder" kitchen. The photo is the "before" with Formica beige counters.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Jacrda
    10 years ago
    Any solid suRface is great I like going With something warmer link lime stone marble but you are just fine with what you have chooses
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    Please take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I am not a professional designer. But I looked at photos of the Sorrel Corian and I find the pattern extremely busy. I don't mind a busy pattern when it is a natural stone (granite, marble, soapstone, etc.) but I have to admit that in solid surface counters (and even quartz) I prefer simplicity. So if I were choosing a countertop for your kitchen, I would pick a simpler pattern of Corian (it could still be a dark color, just more of a solid than the Sorrel seems to be). But that's just my individual, personal reaction to it.
  • sunnydrew
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I really appreciate the comments. This is why I am trying to find people who have actually used the Sorrell Color by Corian. The pictures online do not do it justice and no matter how many color samples i look at, I still come back to the Sorrell as my favorite to add some drama and be completely different than what I have looked at for 10 years. I would do granite, but for the budget... interestingly enough, my other half loved the Sorrell too. We picked out a very neutral basket weave, rough finish tile for the back splash. we are excited, but it is hard to go by a 10 x 10 inch sample.
  • User
    6 years ago

Hi Sunnydrew we are having the same dilemma. Did you end up having the Sorrel installed? I would love to know your thoughts.

• sunnydrew
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Mytym255, funny how long ago I first listed this. We went a completely different route after a lot of researching and discussion. I found Formica 180fx in the color "Petrified Wood". We had the countertops taken out and redone. We used some frosted glass fronts on the cabinets , new hardware, and found an all glass subway style backsplash in a stacked pattern. We got new stainless appliances and new paint color. The result was fabulous. Then we moved about 3 years later. I knew the look would not be for every buyer, but it only took the right one coming.
  • User
    6 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to reply sunnydrew! Wow, you really did go a different route. This seems like a braver move than the pattern on the Sorrel. We are also trying to keep in consideration what future buyers might like but in the end you have to go with what you really like. We are feeling more confident about our choice of Sorrel with being able to see more photos (found some on Corian's Facebook in visitor posts) and realizing that it really does look much better in person than it does in google images. :)

• sunnydrew
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Mtym255, having been through the process and then deciding to sell my home just a few years later, I will say that you can be cautious and do counters that are more generic, but why not just do what you love and then if you go to sell, take your chances.
    In my case, my neighborhood was full of homes that had not done any updating in 10-12 years.
    A lot of people looks at homes and know they will change things no matter how recently the seller did it. In a way it is crazy not to just do what you want to your home while it IS your home!
    Be sure to post before and after pics?