Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hdlytle0705

Help w design blue velvet sofa

Heather
5 years ago

Im totally starting over and my base is the Jonathan Adler Happy Chic blue velvet sofa And two of these pictures hanging over it. I want modern, bright design, thinking of getting white or cream accent chairs? I was thinking a dark Blue navy shag rug, blue or white curtains, and two white chairs, what about coffee table side table designs? White and chrome? I just want it new and glam! Any ideas are welcome!

Comments (28)

• User
    5 years ago

Any pets, children, or real life happening in that room? Or is it all going to be under plastic and appreciated as artwork?

• havingfun
    5 years ago

I love these only concerns are matching the blues. I love blue and blue and white more!

Raise the Curtain on Blue Sale | Joss & Main · More Info

7x10 Blue Rugs | eSaleRugs · More Info

Bungalow Rose Crosier Grey & Light Blue Area Rug & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

7' x 9' Area Rugs | Joss & Main · More Info

Modern Furniture and Decor for your Home and Office · More Info
    let me know, can ditch and/or get more.

• Heather
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Two kids and a dog and we need to it be functional/comfy. It will be our main living area

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I would now keep the rest of the blue to a minimum let the sofa be the star.I love the sofa but I have to tell you it will not stand up well to kids and pets no matter how well behaved . I would cover that sofa with a sheet for every day. I have all leather in my house for this exact reason it can take a beating so I would suggest at least white leather for the chairs and a rug that is multi colored

• User
    5 years ago

And yet you want a sofa that will show all of the dog slobber and fur. And WHITE chairs. What is wrong with that picture?

You can still do a blue and white room, and even a blue sofa. But get real about how you actually live rather than fantasizing that the dog never farts or that the kids never puke.

Look for a navy blue sofa from Crypton or Sunbrella fabrics. A blue and white washable more casual rug, white walls, and informal, maybe ticking stripe drapes. Something livable.

• lshack17
    5 years ago
    Hi Heather, Anytime someone says they want glam I think of Z Gallerie. They have so many inspiration pics of all the design elements that you describe. I believe they are doing 20% off in store and on the website through tommorrow as well. Don't mind the snarky comments. You can have both, a comfy family friendly space that is also an expression of your style.
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago

Some inspiration

2011 HHL Fireplace · More Info
    Modern New Home - Ground Up · More Info

Living Room · More Info

• beesneeds
    5 years ago

I don't think a velvet sofa or white chairs are a good idea with kids and a dog unless this is supposed to be a "company" room instead of a room meant to be lived in.

• Helen
    5 years ago

Silk velvet is delicate but polyester blend velvet is extremely durable.

However, dark colors (especially velvet) will show dust and every bit of shmutz. I have black mohair love seat and chair and they have worn like iron but do need to be vacuumed often because they are such dust and lint catchers.

I'm currently redoing my living area and having a teal blue velvet sofa but I am using pattern material for the chairs.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Christian Oth Studio · More Info

• PRO
    5 years ago

By Jonathan Adler

Jacques Cocktail Table · More Info

Scalinatella White and Gold Cocktail Table | Modern Furniture | Jonathan Adler · More Info

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Just to clarify..........do you have this sofa because from the checking I've done, it doesn't appear to be available anymore? Also what two pictures are you referring to because they do not appear in your post?

Heather thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Heather
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is nice!

• Heather
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes I bought it from someone else. I thought I uploaded the artwork but didn’t work I guess.

• Heather
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Heather
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Because of this I’m thinking of having two tan chairs instead I saw on all modern

• betttyloo
    5 years ago

ishack17, thank you for sharing the photos of your living space. It is beautiful. It is so refreshing to have someone chime in with their true experience, especially as you try to encourage someone who came here enthusiastically to seek advice.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Home-Dynamix-Oxford-Collection-Blue-Grey-Striped-Area-Machine-Made-Polypropylene-Area-Rug-710-x-102/11131117/product.html?refccid=3PG7JCOJGB5L66KHVM55KKOZ6I&searchidx=15

• Heather
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you!!! I love that the chairs you suggested are functional. I’m so scared of patterns so it’s helpful to have suggestions!

• lshack17
    5 years ago
    bettyloo, thanks for the kind words. I wasn't going to post my actual room because it's hard to open yourself up to all the not so nice comments. I just wanted the OP to know that you can have velvet, light colored fabric and pets and the world will not end. :)
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Keep the pattern on the floor and accessories.

Chair and ottoman from AllModern

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

ishack17,,,i love your room! i have a velvet sofa/chaise but I do keep a throw on the sofa.

Heather, just keep the dog off the sofa and it will be fine.

think about doing an overdyed wool rug. I have one and it's very durable

nourish graft navy blue. overstock

reverse color, Amazon

this is one of my fave blue velvet sofas and decor

Heather thanked Beth H. :
  • lshack17
    5 years ago
    Thanks, Beth!
  • PRO
    Lumar Interiors
    5 years ago

Here are a few rooms we have done with blue velvet that might inspire you.

Custom Family Room · More Info

Royal York Renovation and Decoration: Family Room · More Info

Royal York Renovation and Decoration: Family Room · More Info

• Fsal
    4 years ago

Hi heather! I’m looking into an Adler soda currently and searching for reviews of his furniture. How has your (gorgeous) sofa held up?

• rleenie16
    4 years ago

What color paint would you suggest for a dark blue velvet couch?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

rleenie16, this post is a year old. no one can give you paint advice w/o knowing other info. start your own post with pictures