strawchicago z5
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Comments (26)

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Today is June 7, 2018. Roses Unlimited is having 1/2 price sale, only $10 per gallon of own-root roses, starting today June 7 and ends June 21, 2018. Below is a short list of David Austin roses offered. I love my Christopher Marlowe, bought from them in 2011. It's drought-tolerant and survives seven of my zone 5a winters. I also have James Galway which blooms well in partial shade.

Also love THORNLESS Bohemian Rhapsody, it's a constant bloomer & smells fantastic, and survives my zone 5a winter better than Knock-out. Rabbits and JB leave that bush alone. Click on the below link for a long list of roses on sale, besides English roses:

David Austin (English Roses): Ambridge Rose, Benjamin Britten, Christopher Marlowe, Heritage, James Galway, Lichfield Angel, Perdita, The Mayflower

https://rosesunlimitedsc.com/

Pat Henry of Roses Unlimited e-mailed me back within 10 min. of my request for 4 roses, with a total bill of $69 (includes shipping cost) to my Chicagoland. Alas, that was last year's price. Pat sent me a correction today June 8: "I quoted incorrectly on shipping. It should have been $30. The total would be $74. UPS has gone up as gas prices have."

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago

Sorry for being needy, but how does their website work?

Do I just look at their list and email my selections? I am not sure what is in or out of stock, or how much anything is?

EDIT: Whoops, I found it: just scroll down on the home page for the lists.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    5 years ago

I'm dying here trying not to order. I do not have any room . I wild need to start a whole new bed. Gahhhh

• R pnwz8a
    5 years ago

Lilyfinch..I am ordering to grow them in pots... lucky you.. atleast you have a bed:)

5 years ago

Well I sent an email for 4 and one back up, and pots was my logic !! Haha plus , I am very sure I have an opening in first crush spot . I still haven't had a nice bloom and I'm waiting. Also these 4 were the last on my list of must haves ( if I don't think too hard! Lol ) . Well maybe she won't have them and I can reduce my guilt . :)

i think GW rules state we must admit what we ordered so here goes ;

compassion

floral fairy tale

cream veranda

jaquline du pre

johanne strauss is my alternate

strawchicago z5 thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • Claire Z5 IL
    5 years ago

So attempted, but I already have 10 poor roses in pots who couldn’t find a permanent spot in the garden....let’s see how I feel tomorrow...

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

I have space and plenty of pots, but am running out of money! Oh well, it's either this year or next so I might as well give them a head start! : ))

5 years ago

What did you order straw?

strawchicago z5 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    5 years ago

Love the hard to find Barni roses that she carries. Wish I had room for more of them. They are great roses!

• Janaina (Zone 6B - Maryland)
    5 years ago

@vaporvac I hear you! Same here lol

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cynthia (Nippstress): Really appreciate your recording the hardiness of each roses for cold-zoners. That save us lots of money, THANK YOU.

Vaporvac: I ordered Zeph. Drouhin (thornless), Shocking Blue (almost thornless), Savannah (thorny), and Orchid Romance (thorny). I place the thorny ones right below my windows, and the thornless ones near pathways.

Pat Henry of Roses Unlimited sent me a correction today June 8, it's NOT $69, but $74 total for 4 roses due to higher shipping cost. Pat wrote: "I quoted incorrectly on shipping. It should have been $30. The total would be $74. UPS has gone up as gas prices have."

Early spring, I found a rabbit nest of 5 bunnies, I left them alone and they are devouring my roses right now. Predfern is an experienced rosarian in Chicagoland. He sent me this excellent tip: "What I have found effective against rabbits is to get a roll of chicken wire or hardware cloth (2 feet x 25 feet?) and a roll of wire. Using the wire cutters on a pair of electricians plyers cut the chicken wire into five foot lengths. Then wire the ends together in three places using small pieces of wire to make cylinders. Place the cylinders around new roses and secure with sticks in the ground so they do not blow away. Leave these chicken wire cylinders around new roses until next spring when you get a new shipment of roses. I got tired of rabbits eating my new roses and killing them. This works." Predfern.

5 years ago

Great advice thank you for passing it along !! My total was the same as yours . Still , 4 roses for 74 isn't too bad ! I don't plan on participating in any other rose sales .

Pots it is for me ! :)

do you place your thorny ones for burgler protection? I have thought of that , but one of my irrational fears is having to jump from a window in case of fire ( is this crazy?! ) and into one . Oh the things we fear that will likely never happen . I do have drifts all over the foundation anyway.

strawchicago z5 thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lilyfinch: Yes, I put thorny ones below windows to deter breaking-in. The window-guy told me that my window-locks don't work that well. In the rare event of fire, if I jump out of the window, it's easy to leap over roses, but thieves would have a hard time climbing over them.

• Sun2shinie, Arkansas z7a
    5 years ago

I just emailed our order list to RU. We are excited because the ones we ordered from them this spring are SO pretty and healthy.

I tried calling a few times, but the line is busy. Seemed email was maybe the best way to order this time? Perhaps they are swamped with the sale??

We requested 6- Don Juan, Christopher Marlowe, Paradise CL, Shelia's Perfume, Mister Lincoln, and Chrysler Imperial

I did list a few alternates, but told them we deferred to their recommendations based on our preferences. They recommended Dark Desire in our spring order and we both LOVE it.

And yeah... I'm totally going to be looking for pots for most of these too. Again. O.o I have places for the climbers, but otherwise...? It's likely pots, a(nother) new bed for Mr. Al to build OR expensive deer food- not. Since he picked most of this order (notice all the red?), I probably have grounds to lobby for the new flower bed. mwhahahaha ;-)

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago

Because it's summer now, are you supposed to keep whatever you order now potted until next spring?

I think I want to order Tangerine Skies to intermingle with my Joseph's Coat that is already in the ground.

5 years ago

Jc , it is possible to plant with lots of water and care ! Also you could plant in the fall too . Of course fall here is 90s til October. Lol

nice order sunshine! I emailed, it's easier for me

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago

I'm gunshy since I killed 3 Crepuscule bands by putting into the ground too soon. Are these roses bands also? Or are they more substantial?

5 years ago

JC I think we will probably plant some of our order and up size the pots on the rest until it cools a bit in the fall. Or even hold them until next spring if it seems like we are going to go from 90s to less than 40 too quickly.

We have a baby Tangerine Skies that had it's first bloom last month. It's so pretty. Please ignore the ugly spots. It was a difficult month. Lots of ugly spots everywhere.

Thanks Lily! I ended up backing the email up with a phone call. Good thing too. She checked the greenhouse, but I think we might have gotten the last Christopher Marlowe! The other side is in talking to her I talked myself into 3 others. So 9 total. I added Crescendo, Granada and Headliner.

strawchicago z5 thanked Sun2shinie, Arkansas z7a
    5 years ago

Straw, that's what I'm doing with thorny climbers ... growing them up my downspouts to deter thieves breaking into my house AND stealing my downspouts. I'm growing them right up the downspouts! They're copper and it's ridiculous these days what people looking for a quick buck will steal. I've planted Florentina and will be adding Phyllis Bide when she's grown up a bit. I'm still debating on this sale as I have to get a couple that are expensive shipped and still have my gift certificate from HCRs. I'll be going there next week to pick them out so maybe I need to give this a miss until next year. I did really want Purezza and a couple of others so I reserve the right to change my mind. : ))

strawchicago z5 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • totoro z7b Md
    5 years ago

Thanks so much! I have been waiting...

5 years ago

Hi JC.

Al and I only started our rose adventure last year. We have ordered from RU once, earlier this spring. Our roses were gallon size and arrived very large and healthy. They had numerous buds and blooms between them straight out of the box. They were shipped UPS and we received them very quickly (3-4 days SC to AR). I also was VERY impressed with how they were packed for shipment.

Hope this helps!

Shannon :-)

• verdantcroft
    5 years ago

Anybody know how many fit in one box?

5 years ago

They told me today one large box holds 6.

• rosiewells7b
    5 years ago

I placed my order earlier today via email and then Pat called me a little later to get all my information. She mentioned that they have been slammed on the phones and thanked everyone for their patience. She was absolutely so sweet and wonderful to talk to and very helpful. I made sure to tell her that everyone I have heard talk about RU has been so complementary and I thanked her for everything they do as well. I also had visited RU a few months ago and had the best time.

I ordered:

1 Jeanne d’ Arc

2 Green Ice

1 The Fairy

1 The Faun (Pat said this is a two-year plant and she was amazed they had any left to offer for the sale)

strawchicago z5 thanked rosiewells7b
  • R pnwz8a
    4 years ago

Is this sale happening this year?