Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vanessa_twist

Please help me ID this pretty little plant

Vanessa T
5 years ago
I'm a beginner houseplant enthusiast. I received a plant from a friend and neither of us know what it it. It came in an undrained pot and I soon noticed its roots were rotting, but that roots were sprouting on healthy stem. I cut the rotten roots off, got a drained pot and planted them not too deep. This seems to have worked.
At first I wasn't sure if this plant wanted to crawl or climb. Now that it seems happier and healthier, I think it really wants to climb.

Anyhow, the leaves are thick and waxy. Doesn't seem to want too much water as the soil is slow to dry. It gets a moderate amount of indirect sunlight at the moment.

I need help to identify this plant so I can take better care of it!

Comments (18)

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    5 years ago

Hard to say what it is, being so stretched out; normally the leaves should be closer together on their stems. I'd try to gradually give it more sun.

• dbarron
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yes, without more sun, it's probably on it's way out...that's pretty bad.

Do it very gradually as suggested above, it's VERY susceptible to sunburn in it's very weak state.

Point of fact, I'd slowly get it growing more strongly in more like half to full sun, then take a cutting that looks normal (which this doesn't..this is like a stringy rope), and root the cutting. This plant will be too weak to bear flowering stems, they're too skinny and weak.

And put the cutting in a MUCH smaller pot...that pot is WAY overkill and probably stays far too moist for that size plant.

• Vanessa T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks guys! It was in more shade before. The spot it's in now has a bit more sun and I'll move it gradually closer to the window.

It's définitely a darker green than a week ago, and perkier too.
  • Vanessa T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    As for repotting it... I'm afraid to kill it since it's pretty fragile at the moment and I recently had to move it out of a really deep, undrained pot. Do you think it can survive another move right away?
  • dbarron
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Well, I would say yes, if you don't shake all the soil off the roots. You'll find that most of your soil is empty (remove it). Unless you're very careful with watering, that much soil is more than a waste and holds water that well succulents don't like.

Careful repotting when its a loose root mass, should not be a real disturbance. I would expect that plant to take up somewhere between and 4 and 6 inch pot. I don't think it'd suffer greatly being put in a 4 at this point. You may find you do have to get a little creative with stuffing it's roots into that size, but that's about where it should be, IMO.

What is the potting media? I'm not a big proponent of specialized soil mixes, but that looks incredibly peaty and water retentive for a succulent. Note, you can manage any media with careful watering, though most prefer to use something much more well drained like a cactus and succulent mix or the obiquitous gritty mix (you can google that or should find plenty of articles in soil or house plants forum talking about it).

I have used gritty on my aloes and citrus and it works surprisingly well, especially for winter inside when things are semi-dormant and can easily get too much water.

• Vanessa T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    dbarron, I used a cactus mix from the store. (though I was surprised to find that it has a REALLY similar texture to the general-use one)
    Could I add sand to it to make it more desert-like?
    Also, yes, I've been careful and sparing with the watering.
    I didn't mention in my initial post, but I'm in Montréal and it gets pretty humid and hot these days. My place fluctuates from 27°C to 32°C (approx) throughout the day, though outside it gets a bit hotter. Plus we get the occasional heat wave, reaching the low 40's. (just in case that's relevant too!)

*Thanks for all the detailed help! I'm super new here, and a beginner to boot! I appreciate it, and my little plant as well :)
  • dbarron
    5 years ago

Actually sand is not generally good indoors. Yes, lots of people make that observation that many pre-packaged mixes all seem to be the same (no matter what the bag says).

May I suggest you post a photo of your plant and ask about growing conditions and soil suggestions on the Cacti and Succulents group. I grow everything (more or less), but someone more specialized could probably give better advise over there.

I'm in Arkansas, I assure you that you have nothing over me in heat and humidity. I remember returning from Banff in July one year, and walking off the plane and thinking 'I can't breathe with this soup'.

• Vanessa T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oh man, I definitely know about heat and humidity. Spent 6 months in Northern Australia!!

It's not too hot here though, nice and mild in the mornings. I mention the weather and temp since it must be relevant to the discussion. Also, we had a streak of like 40° and up for a week, then dropped down to the low 20's overnight... Must be confusing for my plants?

But now that I know what kind of plant this is, and I have some advice from you guys, I'm on track to give this plant what it needs!

I'll for sure do my research about potting mixes and succulents!
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

Difference between nighttime and daytime temps shouldn't be problem; even 20's is pretty warm (I am assuming that is C). My daytimes are in 30'ties C, and nights drop to 12*C sometimes - I wouldn't mind if that was every night! :) Cooler nights are actually pretty good for plants. I am north of Toronto, On, and weather is quite similar to yours in Montreal.

Pls. do not use sand for potted succulents regarding what you read on some 'blogs'. Yes, it could be used for some, but only if you really know your plants. It is best if you just don't use it. Grit is great addition or pumice; but if you don't have (or not easy available), use lots of coarse perlite. If you mix perlite 50/50 with the Cactus & Succulent soil, that will be quite an improvement.

If you can, keep plants outside. But make sure you acclimatize it very slowly, since it is very etiolated and most like very weak. You need to get it into better light and water properly - sparsely is not proper for succulents. If you pot it into well draining mix, you can water thoroughly when needed. Pot seems to be very large for your plant. I would repot it into smaller pot.

Etiolated plant will not 'revert' even if you give it much better conditions. If my plant, I would trim/prune it extensively. If you want some ideas, pls. ask.

BTW, here is Cacti and Succulents Forum if you are interested to read more about succulents...

• Vanessa T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ten-four on the no sand! Thanks so much for all the detailed advice everyone!

I've already headed over to the succulents group, and even before asking my questions, I found that most of the time, ppl are doing 50-50 cactus potting mix and perlite. To be confirmed...
    Then I'll repot to a smaller pot.

I've been gradually increasing the sunlight it gets, too.

Here's hoping for a full recovery!
  • Dustin Davis
    5 years ago

This is absolutely 100% the variety of Kalanchoe referenced by the first reply. I actually propagate hundreds of these per summer. Your plant is fine but I think I may consider a smaller plastic pot inside your decorative one. I literally keep mine in 4 in pots until full grown or first signs of leaves yellowing at base of plant. Then I repot and begin to cut each branch back 2 internodes. If you repeat this regularly and give the plant lots of wind simulation you will end up with one like this in a few years.

• Vanessa T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hey Dustin!
    Thanks so much! I'm really loving all the detailed, helpful info from this forum
  • Vanessa T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Whoops, my whole comment didn't post...

Compliments on your gorgeous kalanchoe :)
    I'm taking all the advice from this thread and hopefully I'll have a super positive update in a little while
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

Dustin

Your plant is very good looking and you gave great tips regarding regular pruning.

I respectfully disagree with this part of your statement: ..."Your plant is fine"...Most are of opinion that is very etiolated, so while it looks otherwise ok (no blemishes-bugs-diseases), it is skiny, weak and probably of lighter color than it should be. So I wouldn't say it is 'fine'. Hope you don't mind me saying this, it may sound like nitpicking...and maybe my understanding of 'fine' is different. But OP should give it more light ASAP to grow more to what it should be, and prune to get plant growing to it's best potential. Then it will be fine specimen...

• Vanessa T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I'm definitely aware that this plant need some tlc. Very specific tlc! :P

I've been gradually moving to better light and I can see a bit of improvement in its color already.

I'll be repotting it tonight and I know I'll need to prune a bit. I'm a bit nervous about taking cutters to it since I'm pretty beginner here. But the goal is to help the plant; learn about it and put the knowledge into practice.
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

Don't do it all at the same time. First repot (smaller pot, well draining mix). Acclimatize to better light. That will help for plant to get established and stronger. After about 2 - 3 weeks, I would prune quite a bit - leaving just 2 sets of the leaves. Stretched stems will not 'shrink', but you want plant to get stronger. All pruned off pieces could be rooted for additional plants.

• Vanessa T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    OK, perfect! Got it :)