Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

New bed Extension and late blooms

organic_kitten
5 years ago

It was a problem to mow the little stretch between two beds, so I extended the left Front bed to include the difficult portion.

Tried to post last night, but I foolishly put two photos on. I will post a couple in the comments.

kay

Comments (20)

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well good. It went. Rosy is still blooming and has one more scape to go.

White Eyes Pink Dragon has another that hasn't begun yet also.

Tee Turtles has been blooming along and continues; This was at dusk;
    Morning:
    and Ancient of days still has a scape to go
    And Butterfly Season is finally through:

My season started in April. Surely it will finish by the end of the month. And they are finally predicting some lower temperatures at the end of the month. I have had enough nineties for the year.

kay

• Brad KY 6b
    5 years ago

Kay, you have about the longest season of anyone!

• shive
    5 years ago

All are lovely! Your season just goes on and on.

Debra

• lilykate7a
    5 years ago

Oh, Kay, we will use any excuse to put an extension on a bed!!! And yours works for me!! I used something similar to build a new bed for all these new lilies I ordered!! I know the feeling about the season--time for it to stop. I have several that just keep pumping out blooms too. That Sunday River I posted has sent up another scape and Spacecoast Bold Scheme has never stopped blooming!! I don't think I remember Ancient of Days. But of course, these days, I sometimes forget my name!!!

Kate

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes Brad and Debra. It just goes on and on. Kate, I know you do understand I am ready for this season to end. I don't always take photos...it is just on and on. I need cheese with this whine, don't I? Kate, I got by with that extension since it made it easier for him to mow. Ancient of Days has put on and bloomed more in September than its regular time. I have one more order from Petal Pushers and they will all be here. My single fan of Journey to Magic expanded to three fans in the pot! I couldn't believe it! I hope Firecracker Parade likes it as well, Debra. The plants came today and looked really good. Firecracker Parade is small, but it looks very healthy.

I am weeding when I can get out.. Heat index is 97 and it feels every degree of it. Got another 50 cubic feet of mulch yesterday and got my shoulder sore loading it. Old women always have aches and pains. We are supposed to cool down around the 24th. I hope so because it is still miserably hot at the end of the day. I sweat like a pig, no glowing here.

I hope alal your garding is coming along for fall.

kay

• shive
    5 years ago

Kay - I'm glad the plants were in good shape. I hope Firecracker Parade will take off you.

Debra

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

Hah! Any excuse to add more daylilies ; )

The new bed looks really nice, take care of that shoulder!

Sherry

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hopefully it will do fine. Sherry, you have to be inventive sometimes...Alex, no choice. I have so much to do. I try to go out early and again late, but I often stay quite long...kind of overdid it one day, but I recovered. I have worked less in the heat than ever this year.I am so looking forward to late September and a bit of a cool down. We have no break predicted before the 24th. I am tired of these 90s with the high heat index, I can tell you that. Spring and fall are short, but summer goes on and on.

kay

• samhain10 - 5a
    5 years ago

Kay - here it's Spring, Summer and Fall that are short; it's Winter that goes on and on!

Alex

• Julia WV (6b)
    5 years ago

Looks good Kay and you must be exhausted. Tree Turtles is one I really like and you've got so many still going. I'm sure your husband will appreciate having just a bit less lawn to mow. Great spot to add in some easy to maintain perennials.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Julia....but you know what is going there. I have a very three more to move from the old bed that I almost cleared last year in the back. And a few new ones as well. This year, I ordered tulips for the first time in about five years, and I look forward to seeing them in early spring, and I will have some of them in there as well. They are annuals ohere, of course.

kay

• avedon_gw
    5 years ago

Your bloom season has been amazing and soooo looong!!! You are right about summer in the warm areas, no matter if the flowers keep coming, sometimes we just want them to stop so we can stop and get out of the horrid heat and humidity. I like all your flowers, but WB Butterfly Season will always be a favorite.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Avedon. I realize it is hard for someone with a short season to identify with just wanting it to stop, but I am tired of hot weather with no end in sight. they put up the carrot; "next week a cooler time with mid to high eighties" then jerk it back. o cool air until very late in September...and they don't even add if then, but should. I need to stop whining. IUt is pretty, just too hot and currently too dry here. WB Butterfly Season has been one of her bet ones for me,

kay

• shive
    5 years ago

Kay - I know what you mean about being tired of 90-degree temps. I'm more than tired of them. We're supposed to have the next two days in the high 80s, and I'm excited about that. There are just too many days in the 90s for our September forecast.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Debra, they claim it will be cooler tomorrow, but then it is oops, the "whatever" didn't come in...low to middle 90s again. Alex, I have to work in it or nothing gets done. I have been remiss this year and not done as much as I should have, There are way too many 90s in September!

kay

• samhain10 - 5a
    5 years ago

Kay - you and the other Southerners have my sympathy about the heat. Right now for me, it's the mosquitoes. They are so horrendous, I can barely stand being outside any time at all. Fall cleanup will have to wait until the weather cools and the mosquitoes disappear.

Alex

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Alex, we have those little monsters too. I spray my hat and shirt with Jungle off and that helps. Even wiith the heat, I still have to be covered from head to toe due to being allergic to the sun.

kay

• tarheelgirl_7b
    5 years ago

Kay, your new bed looks good! You have had quite the season. White Eyes Pink Dragon and Ancient of Days are my favorites.

Lori

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Lori. I know if you have short seasons, it sounds bad, but I am ready for it to be over. And Indian Ripple has put up a scape!!! I may snap iot.

kay