Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiko_s17

smart fridge recommendations?

Kiko S
5 years ago

can anyone recommend any smart fridges that's compatible with google assistant?

Comments (10)

• Kiko S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

@joeT Yeah, I understand cuz I'm not completely sold on it them either - was hoping for some recommendations to hear about what others have experienced. I've read that it's good for tracking shopping lists (keeping track of what you've left in your fridge and what you need to buy) and also communicating between family members. I think you can text messages to the display on the fridge? I also think it displays recipes but I don't think I'll be using it much for that purpose if I were to get one. I already have a GA-powered smart display that sits on my kitchen counter that I use for recipe help.

• User
    5 years ago

No. Just no to a current smart fridge. Give it 5 years.

• Kiko S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@sophie Care to share why it's a no for you right now?

• kevinande
    5 years ago

I personally don't see the point, but that's just me. Everything in the house does not need an ethernet connection. Whatever you buy don't buy a Samsung. It's almost guaranteed to be broken in 2 years. To me the refrigerator is smart if it keeps my food cold and unspoiled. My eyes and brain are perfectly capable of determining if I am running out of eggs. One additional question is it worth another 1 to 2k just because I can connect it to the internet, In addition there is the potential for someone to hack your smart appliances. Not saying anyone will, but it is a possibility.

Kiko S thanked kevinande
  • M
    5 years ago

Plug in a Google Home next to the fridge. Then when you run out of things, repeat after me: "Okay Google, add milk to the shopping list."

If you need to look at recipes while in the kitchen, I find a convertible Chromebook in tent configuration to be more versatile, as I can take it to exactly where I need it.

I'm not opposed to tech in the kitchen. I just don't think the fridge is a natural fit for it

Kiko S thanked M
  • Mrs Pete
    5 years ago

This fridge is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

• User
    5 years ago

Early adopters penalty applies to smart fridges right now. It’s of dubious benefit, and overpriced, with poor security. If it cost $30 more, it could be a novelty. But it costs WAYY more than that, and the cost/benefit is extremely poor.

Kiko S thanked User
  • Kiko S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cool, thanks for all the feedback! I do agree that smart fridges are crazy expensive right now. Depending on future upgrades years down the road, I might consider one again. For now, I think I'll stick to my Lenovo smart display for all my kitchen help. I've been mostly using it for recipe help and setting multiple timers at a go. I actually didn't think of using my smart display as a shopping list but I'll definitely try that out sometime soon.

• M
    5 years ago

Try a Google Home for timers or for unit conversions, too. It's super convenient to be able do that without needing to touch anything. I just yell across the room, while my hands are dripping with ingredients.

It also makes for a great intercom when I want to call the kids to dinner, and a decent speakerphone when calling the grandparents.

These things make sense in the kitchen. But I don't expect my fridge to do these tasks

Kiko S thanked M