Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

House cleaners and insurance

dedtired
5 years ago

I just had a lady come by and give me a quote for cleaning my house. She hires individual women to clean. I asked her if she carries insurance and she does not. Do most house cleaners have insurance or do you you just depend on your homeowners insurance to cover something like having her fall down the stairs and break a leg? I'm not so concerned about breakage or damage to the house.

Comments (16)

• maddielee
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Depends on your state, check how Worker’s Comp covers people who might get hurt working on your property.

Your homeowners should cover any liability claims.

eta: we carry a large umbrella policy that gives us peace of mind when it comes to a worker injuring themselves on our property.

dedtired thanked maddielee
  • dedtired
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Maddielee. I guess unless they have a cleaning company, most house cleaners are not insured. I should look more closely at my homeowners policy to see if I am thoroughly covered, not that I am looking to spend more money!

• jellytoast
    5 years ago

If the "lady" worked in California, she would be in violation of worker's compensation laws ... employers are required to have insurance for their employees. I wouldn't want to use this person simply because she is making money off of people and not covering them for injuries.

dedtired thanked jellytoast
  • Funkyart
    5 years ago

Ive always hired individuals and they were never insured.. but I know a few people who own cleaning businesses with staff and yes, they are insured.

dedtired thanked Funkyart
  • dedtired
    Original Author
    5 years ago

No, not in CA.

• sas95
    5 years ago

You would be covered under pretty much any homeowner's policy for physical injury in your home.

I have never insisted on insurance for cleaners, but I have always used individuals. One person I had years ago made a big deal of being bonded/insured in the event of theft. She used to come with a helper, and the helper stole some of my jewelry. It turned out that the insurance was worthless, as the insurance company said I had to "prove" she stole it. Apparently it being there one minute and gone after she left the house was not enough proof. So basically, that insurance turned out to be worthless to me.

dedtired thanked sas95
  • jellytoast
    5 years ago

Who would you be paying, the "lady" or the person actually doing the work? It does not sound like you would be hiring an individual ... it sounds like you would be hiring a business, who would then pay their employee to do the work. I would check the law in my specific state.

dedtired thanked jellytoast
  • dedtired
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I would be paying “N”, the woman who owns the business. She has a few women who work for her. N arranges the details but it would be the same woman who would clean each time. I have two friends who use her service and have been happy with the job they do.

this is a perfect example of me overthinking things!

• maire_cate
    5 years ago

I don't think you're overthinking either. We use Merry Maids for precisely that reason - they have all the necessary insurance and we don't have to worry about someone tripping on the steps and suing us. I've used them for about 15 years and have developed an understanding with the young woman who manages the local office. I have the same woman who comes every other week and she does a decent job. Very few people will consistently clean the way you or I would - but I'm very happy with her work and we often give her a generous tip.

You may want to check with your insurance company - ours sends us a questionnaire every year to see if we need to change any coverage. One question they ask is if we hire someone to clean on a regular basis who is not a self-employed contractor or works for a company.

dedtired thanked maire_cate
  • User
    5 years ago

I would never hire a worker or service that was not insured.

dedtired thanked User
  • 3katz4me
    5 years ago

I’ve always had individuals and I never ask about insurance. I just get a solid referral and leave it at that. I have an umbrella liability policy but I worry more about workers up on ladders - painters, etc. The housecleaner I have now has an incorporated business with insurance but she no longer has employees so is the only person doing the work.

dedtired thanked 3katz4me
  • User
    5 years ago

You are not overthinking this.

How it works, and what your own liability is, will vary from state to state. So I could tell you exactly what the concerns are in my state (New York), which you may or may not find interesting (ha ha) - but it won't help you at all anyway unless you are also in NY.

I would call the insurance company who carries your home owner's policy. Hopefully you have a local office with a good broker who think about this a bit more globally than the average insurance agent. Just tell them what you've told us, ask if your current policy covers you in the event the cleaner gets hurt and sues, etc..

This sounds a little hinky to me. :) But all I know is NY and what you're describing wouldn't work here, at least in an above-board/official way.

dedtired thanked User
  • hcbm
    5 years ago

My father was an attorney and instilled in me a health respect for legal problems. He never hired an occasional laborer without checking on licensing and insurance. If they didn't have it he arranged for a small fee a rider on his policy. He also made me in the 90's get a million dollar umbrella policy and I never had a million worth of anything.. Imagine the amount one should have now.

In my current condo the organization hired a company to fix some outside flood lights. They arrived without the appropriate ladder and the super gave him the condo's. Of course the ladder slipped and he fell. The laborer claims he hurt his shoulder, but didn't lose a single day of work. He sued the condo and the condo insurance settled for $75,000. The condo is now having a hell of a time finding insurance because of this black mark. Now no-one works in the condo with out proof of insurance and our condo specifically included. In short you are not being to careful.

I would be leery of any company that had workers, but no insurance.

• Lars
    5 years ago

How many stairs do you have? Our house is on one level with just a single step down to the dining room/art studio from the hall, and no one has ever tripped there.

dedtired thanked Lars
  • dedtired
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lars, my house has two stories and stairs to a basement. Good advice about talking to my insurance agent to be sure I’m covered, including other contractors that I use, like the guy who cleans the gutters. Thanks for all the good advice. It’s always better to think of these things in advance.