Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shannon_kelleherscire

how can I make this space feel more homey

sskell skell
5 years ago
Here is my kitchen/dining area. It feels very stark and cold. I had a rug under the dining table but it looked odd to me. Maybe wrong style or color? Also... I like the open feel, but I need to add more of a comfortable feel. Are rugs the only way to go? What else can I do?

Comments (51)

• Laurie Gordon
    5 years ago

I love your kitchen dining rooms. I believe all you need is some greenery.

• Sammy
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I see what you mean, sskell. While your kitchen certainly ticks all the boxes on paper—it’s spacious (huge, really); very of-the-moment; light and bright—it’s missing personality and softness. I’m overwhelmed by iron and wood...and more iron and wood. Are you willing to change out any of those things?

• Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Lovely kitchen and dining. I think a big art piece on the wall by your cabinets instead of the two small pieces would look great. Potted plant for your table and bench. Needs brightening up with your personality.
  • salonva
    5 years ago

I think your space is gorgeous, and I agree that some greenery, some artwork, curtains, etc and STUFF will warm it up. I don't mean to say you need clutter, but there is something to the warmth of having Stuff you love around. It looks too measured and from what I can see, whatever stuff you have on the counters looks to be black and white and definitely not enough color.

• arcy_gw
    5 years ago

Carpet and drapes. I would also want color but I think you like your black and white and it is a very attractive perfectly "staged" looking space. Perhaps some personal touches, photos of your family, for instance. 'Homey' and the latest sterile, impersonal minimalist design trends are not a match.

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

This is a very pretty home. It is somewhat monochromatic. Herb plants in your kitchen window. A floral centerpiece on the dining table. Maybe a tall potted plant/tree.

Not sure what the rest of the rooms looks like, but if you have a sofa/chairs in the area where this photo is shot from, add some color with a nice throw and pillows.

Additionally, use warm white light bulbs (if you haven't already). I don't think you need area rugs unless you really want them. The wood floors are very warm looking.

• leelee
    5 years ago

Beautiful kitchen and home! This is a small detail but would look great for your table.

• leelee
    5 years ago

Irene is right. There is almost a complete absence of art. It's a great way to warm up your room and add color. Yes, replace the two smaller pieces with one large. You've taken the black and white theme as far as it can go.

Then replace the decorative door on the left with a huge vertical painting.

• leelee
    5 years ago

Can you show a picture of the living area, please?

• leelee
    5 years ago

A few well-placed live plants will warm up your dining room.

• leelee
    5 years ago

• sskell skell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you everyone for the great ideas and compliments. Sammy... we moved in the house in April. Things were still being completed while we were living in the space. So we were living in a mess, while the carpenters and tile guy were still completing their parts. I’m not willing the “change” any of the permanent elements, but rather soften what’s already there. I agree that it’s very cold and monochromic... I’m very simplistic in design right now so I feel that adding “stuff” would clutter it up (I’m not good add adding small details. Lol) I also don’t have a green thumb. Ha... but I’m def going to look into some softening pieces. Thanks again everyone!
  • Teresa Ccc
    5 years ago

This is such an easy problem to fix and such a beautiful space to work in! A bigger piece of art, as Irene suggested, to the right of the cabinet run on the wine fridge, or maybe two pieces of related art, hung one over the other. I would definitely consider wood frames to warm the space up.

I would add real plants, too. I love how the one tall plant Leelee posted was in a wicker basket; the texture will cozy up the space. How about a wood or wicker tray with potted herbs on the island (useful and pretty) - my grocery store sells fresh potted herbs for $2, so you can replace them cheaply if they die. Again, the wicker (or wood) will add warmth. I'm a big fan of taking cuttings from my yard of things that are green (philodendron leaves and ferns are favorites) and putting them in a vase.

• leelee
    5 years ago

Nobody is born knowing how to care for plants. You go to Home Depot and get a plant and water it once a week. Not that hard. It will grow or not and then you get another.

Stuff might mean a beautiful coffee table book or two. You have all the right elements but the things that will warm your home are personal. I don't think anyone means you should clutter up the place.

• housegal200
    5 years ago

Just some earthy, antique, or handmade touches mentioned above and the following bring more warmth to the room, which is very beautiful all the same. The feeling you want to go for--not decorative clutter--is that people come into the kitchen to share a glass of wine, coffee, tea, or grab an apple. So keep out a tray vintage wine glasses, a silver ice bucket with a wine bottle in it on an old tray. This is an invitation to sit on the kitchen island stools and share a glass of wine. If you're a teetotaler, put out a tray, a lovely old teapot, and antique cups. A beautiful bowl of fruit on the island invites someone to grab an apple. I know people groan about Martha Stewart, but do a Google search for "Martha Stewart kitchens" and you'll get the idea of how to convey the feeling that real people come into the kitchen to talk, share food or drink, etc. (Yes, a contradiction since Martha Stewart kitchens are likely overstaged.)

--If you have sunlight coming in through the windows, an herb garden or just a big rosemary plant in an earthen pot would bring useful, live greenery into the kitchen.

--Look for one or two small antique white alabaster table lamps to put on the countertops for ambient lighting.

--At flea market or antique shops, find a couple of beautiful old hand painted metal trays to lean against the black tile. Use them, so that they're not just visual clutter.

--Do you have an oversized wooden cutting board? Put it out with a big bread knife.

--Hang a great piece of art in the room. If you have children frame one of two of their drawings to look at in the kitchen.

--Find some large, antique candlesticks to keep on the table for beeswax candles.

--Keep a big handcrafted wooden bowl of fruit on the island

Handmade Rustic Round Fruit Bowl, 9" · More Info

You have excellent taste so if you have silver, china, or beautiful glassware hidden away, put them on an antique dishrack instead so they're out and being used.

You don't have to do to much--no clutter--but lovely, usable items add a human touch. What a treat to comment on a kitchen that doesn't need to be decluttered!

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

"Nobody is born knowing how to care for plants..." Not sure about that :) however, everyone can learn! A friend of mine described growing plants as a hobby, I said "no, it's a way of life." She now loves plants too... spread the joy!

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

FWIW, it doesn't read stark and cold to me at all. It's gorgeous! Yes to plants and/or art but not a fan of much else. It can quickly read as cluttered. leelee's table scape suggestion's is lovely. I'd be tempted to go with lighter coloured stools but that's me.

• Kirsten E.
    5 years ago
    I think it’s beautiful, but perhaps some more colorful barstools would help to soften the space a bit.
  • J J
    5 years ago
    following
  • Hill W
    5 years ago
    I love your space!! Can we see a picture of what the space opens up to? I agree plants will liven up your space. I recently added some hanging succulents to my wall and i think something like that would look great on the wall where you have the 2 art pieces hanging. I will attach a picture so you see what I am talking about, but your space is GORGEOUS!!
  • Hill W
    5 years ago
    I should add succulents need minimal care which makes them perfect for “non” green thumb people!
  • GardenHo_MI_Z5
    5 years ago

I agree it just needs some color...choose your favorite!

• sskell skell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ok... I can’t thank everyone enough! It’s our new home, so my daughter’s are trying to get used to something new. Our old house was more of a traditional style. Dark cabinets, more beige and cream color schemes. But I jumped head first into the modern/transitional style you see here. I’m going to attack this space using a lot of the ideas you have all suggested. Thank you!!!!
  • GardenHo_MI_Z5
    5 years ago

Go bold? :)

• sskell skell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Honestly... I think I’m having trouble with scale also. This kitchen is a lot more open than my previous kitchen. The last kitchen was a much smaller kitchen and closed off... I went over the top with a 9” island. By now means am I complaining. I’m blessed to have been able to do something like this. But it’s not what I’m used to, so I’m using my previous style in this space. Which does not fit. Thank again everyone. And Happy Holidays to you all!
  • sskell skell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Red, bold for sure! I think I’m going to play with color... something I have trouble with. Can you tell? Lol
  • Sammy
    5 years ago

When I asked if you’d be willing to change an iron or wood element, I meant it as in replace or swap out (to avoid cluttering the space) something more colorful/soft/personal/unique, etc. And don’t worry—I wasn’t suggesting you change anything permanent like your flooring!—I was thinking specifically of the bar stools, the antique-looking door (?) wall hanging and/or that window frame wall hanging (maybe even the chandeliers). I did write that in my original comment but then edited it out. (Yesterday was a long and tiring day!)

Am I making any sense? I slept until 10 this morning so I’m a little “off” today. ;)

P.S. Happy Holidays to you, too!

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    5 years ago

You should also think of tiling the backsplash on the cabinet run where the ovens are; it looks unfinished as is. Those cabinets are part of the kitchen after all.

• Sammy
    5 years ago

I know what it is: it’s that the entire space is decorated using items from only one genre—maybe modern farmhouse? (Oh, gosh, I hope you didn’t take that as an insult or in any negative way.) Everything works together very well, but maybe too well; it’s too put together, which might be a first here on this website!! I’d like to see something disrupt the cohesiveness: a very traditional/formal semi-antique Oriental rug or two; maybe a red lacquered secretary; an antique crystal chandelier; a mixture of art (a portrait painting, modern sculpture, pottery!)

Edited to add that I think housegal200 said what I’m trying to say...only a million times better!

• leelee
    5 years ago

You don't need to get rid of your bar stools or anything else. Just move the items hung on the walls and replace with art. Pick colors you love and add a few touches to the rest of your room. The window frames and door are not adding anything to your room. They really don't work with the rest of your decor. Put them in a bedroom.

• Hill W
    5 years ago
    Continuing the backsplash is a good idea....and possibly a different barstool so that there isn’t too much black. Whatever color you decide you like will look great in the space!!
  • wmsimons85
    5 years ago

My vote is for the right rug. It will definitely soften things up and would be beautiful imo. Also as others have said art. Beautiful space.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

I'd think twice about continuing the backsplash. Right now, it's a focal point. Is there any functional reason to have it on the other wall?

• sskell skell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I didn’t continue the backsplash on the other side thinking it was too much. I was planning on tiling a simple white subway tile instead. I have a difficult time with rugs. I love them! But feel having them in the kitchen is a tripping hazard (I’m one of those people who sees things happening before they happen. lol) I love oriental rugs! Maybe in front of the fridge? Or sink? Color is where I’m aiming my focus towards. The old windows I have on the wall were from a flea market, and I love them. But didn’t have anywhere to put them! But I see what everyone is saying. They’re almost disappearing on the wall. It’s amazing how taking a picture helps to identify areas that need a little help. Standing in the kitchen and staring at it has not been working out. ♀️♀️
  • Hill W
    5 years ago
    I LOVE the old windows. I dont see a problem with them. Your space is amazing...the only thing you are missing is some color throughout. Even some fresh flowers on the Island and kitchen table would brighten it up. Im picturing sunflowers on the island and table
  • wmsimons85
    5 years ago

If it were me I would have one under the table and chairs not the kitchen.

• erinsean
    5 years ago

Have you considered getting a round dining room table? Or turn your table the other way? With your bar and table running the same way, looks a little odd to me. Yes, a rug under the table would be nice, but hard to clean if you have little ones. A colorful runner with a large plant in the corner would look good, IMO.

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

I love your house

I love old windows too..(I have one..didn't find a place for it in the new house yet..and yes, it's just an old window with glass and all)..I think you can add color, plants, more whimsy if you want it, etc without taking off whatever you have..you can hang something right there..a plant that looks a bit..unkempt? a little art-can be some non-heavy sculpture-brass? ceramics?..(I put mine on my window when it was on the wall..well I also put on it a scarf-looked like it had a curtain lol)..you can stick postcards-if you love them-there, or in that iron door..don't have to be many..don't have to be vividly colored..just something that you really love, you know? something that's distinctively yours

and yes..bowl with fruits and vase with flowers usually take a very good care of anything that might feel cold)))

obviously I loved many other suggestions, and you read them already, so you'll take what you like from it all

it's very, very nice now..it'd be great)) don't be afraid to mess it up a bit

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Let a rug and lumbar pillows at the dining area set the color palette using your own favorite color. Fill the glass shelves with large decor items that echo that colorway. Two windows hung beside a real window don't work for me. The antique door looks out of place too and a bit too "big box store" for my taste. Here's some inspiration...

Large Green, Charcoal, Grey & Tan Floral Print Decorative Lumbar Pillow Cover · More Info

Contemporary Festive 8'x11' Rectangle Forest Area Rug · More Info

Modern Kitchen · More Info

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

Beautiful start! And lots of good advice above :-)

I will add: buy a tea kettle in your favourite colour (I could see red, turquoise, or pink looking spectacular against the black backsplash). Use it to make tea. Bake some cookies. Serve tea to a neighbour in your new neighbourhood. Leave the tea cups on the counter for awhile after your neighbour leaves! Don't wipe up the crumbs immediately!

As aprilneverends said, don't be afraid to mess it up!

• kmg11
    5 years ago

I think this is a really nice space, but maybe too many dark elements in the room.

Yes to some greenery, rugs, and color. More warm wood and warm metal accents, such as a crock with some wooden spoons, a wooden basket with some lemons or apples, some nice art with brass frames. What about some woven wood blinds at your window? Maybe a warmer paint color? Also, bringing in some color behind your glass cabinets with some china or pottery would be pretty.

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

• sskell skell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Kmg... in my mind I thought having white cabinets in the kitchen would automatically brighten up the space. I’m proving that theory wrong. I’m seeing it now as I look at the photo. I didn’t go with wood blinds... but looking back I should have. I had them in my last home and loved them. These are a little too minimalistic for me. But I spent the money, so they’re staying. Lol. I’m worried curtains would be too heavy... I know I’m overthinking it... but I live here so it’s in my face all the time. Ha
  • blondelle
    5 years ago
    I'm not loving the stools at the island. The bottom part is very busy and one next to the other creates a jumble of lines. I would usr something simpler. I like the idea of a sisal rub under the dining table. For more warmth I would slip cover the chairs and have them skirted to the floor.
  • Mel
    5 years ago

Sskell, Your kitchen is gorgeous! Not sterile at all. Don’t get rid of anything you paid good money for, it all looks great.

I would only change out the artwork. Something like these 2 vertical botaniCal prints would be classic.

Also I would definitely add a rug Under DR table and a runner behind island. It adds warmth and defines a space. Maybe something like a custom sisal rug since your table is large. Don’t cover your windows, they are beautiful!! The rest of your kitchen decor will evolve over time.

• sskell skell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Someone suggested upholstered bar stools. I like the idea... but I have a wish list of requirements: they need to swivel, have a back, and be a specific height. (Counter height). I bought these industrial bar stools... but after hearing from everyone, I think they are def giving the kitchen a cold feel. If anyone comes across a bar stool that fits my wants, I’d appreciate it. And... decorating for the holidays has given me an opportunity to experiment with different decor and design. I’ve been playing with some of the ideas everyone has offered. It’s starting to become fun, rather than stressful. Thanks!
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

That's great news :-)

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

If your current stools work for you, how about simply getting seat covers made for them? Probably less expensive than new stools and you'd get a pop of colour or texture. Round barstool covers on Etsy

Glad the process is become fun for you and not stressful. That's how it should be. You really have a beautiful space!

• Hill W
    5 years ago
    Pier 1 has super comfy barstools. I think its the mason chair. Comes in many colors and is super reasonably priced
  • Lea Dinell
    5 years ago

I would do two main things. When the dining table chairs have served their time, I would personally replace the set with something more cosy and eclectic. Secondly, I would replace the generic looking artwork (apologies if it's not - can't see it too well through the chandelier) with something that has meaning to you. Don't worry about staging it, or it will just just look beautifully generic once you're done - could be a favourite photograph you want to enlarge, the kids artwork, a family heirloom etc etc. The other stuff is easy - flowers, a nice table setting, etc. No need of a rug under the table unless something truly speaks to you - there is something nice and expansive and uncluttered about the flow as is. Enjoy your new home!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living