Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barcis

Hating our deck - Help!

barcis
10 years ago
We're building a fabulous house, but HATE our deck. Likely to hire a professional, but as I scour the internet for ideas on how to fix this, I can only find ONE idea that seems suitable for our very high deck (attaching pic of our deck and the idea I like). I don't really like the idea of turning the under-deck section into a patio. For starters, there are a lot of poles under the deck and I think it looks funny and secondly, from afar, I still think it looks terrible. Has anyone done anything with a really high deck or seen pictures to fix this that I'm just not able to find? The picture of the idea I like would be a little different because the right side of our deck is stairs going straight down. Also, there's a small (4x6) concrete patio outside of the walkout basement door. Should we build off that with brick or stone? I'm wondering if that will look terrible. [houzz=
DC Dream Porch · More Info

Comments (43)

• evierh
    10 years ago
    Do you think the height could be mitigated, by expanding with a lower level around 1-1/2 sides? That would eliminate the ability to have a patio underneath .. but you don't seem to like that idea anyway.
  • kadodi
    10 years ago
    I think the problem is not so much the deck but the height of the foundation. Can you shingle further down? I think it should be lower than the fabulous window. I do like the idea you posted as well.
  • barcis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I don't understand what you mean by "shingle further down"?
  • felixgrantham
    10 years ago
    Unless you're on a lake, no one is really going to see your deck from this angle. So, don't fret! Concentrate on making the side next to the patio as pretty as possible. I think you're on the right track with your inspiration pic. Lattice & landscaping will help a lot.
  • barcis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We are putting in trees along our property line, but the back and side is otherwise completely exposed. I agree that lattice and landscaping will help. I am beginning to think that's our only option - completely hiding the underneath part of the deck. I like the idea of expanding, of course, but the word "expanding" sounds much more expensive LOL
  • txreynolds
    10 years ago
    I think your idea pic is so pretty. I would enclose it as shown in your photo and use the space like a shed for storing lawn equipment and gardening tools and supplies. I notice they have an arch that allows access to underneath the porch.
  • barcis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like the path underneath also. Thinking we could pave that to match a walkway around and a patio and then put pebbles/gravel under the deck.
  • kadodi
    10 years ago
    My statement to shingle further down means your vinyl siding stops too high, you need the siding to go to a level below the deck floor.
  • hazeldazel
    10 years ago
    I have to agree with you, the decks with all the long studs showing just look crappy. Better to have a balcony or entirely enclose the thing as a screened in patio or something. Otherwise, it just always looks unfinished and the deck foundation just becomes a toy or tool graveyard.
  • barcis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh, when you said shingles, I thought you meant the roof. It's not vinyl siding, it's hardie plank and brick underneath. I am happy with the hardie plank and brick, so putting vinyl further down isn't an option. It's the deck I am looking to enclose and/or expand upon.
  • PRO
    Rehder Construction, Inc.
    10 years ago
    You could use a thick redwood, cedar, or PVC lattice (like a privacy lattice) to cover the under deck area which is less expensive than stone or brick and allows plenty of air to circulate. The photo of the finished deck you included looks to be lattice.

Best of luck with your project!
  • DIAspoton
    10 years ago
    the deck fights the lay of the land. it neds to be more integrated and the best way is a multi level deck. a good deck designer/bldr should be able to show you several options to fit within your budget.
  • mveasey
    10 years ago
    Having a covered hot tub is great, since you will be able to use it no matter the weather, especially in the winter.
    Not sure how exposed you are to neighbors though.
    I have seen people install swings on the lower half of their decks for kids (if you have kids...) or have a winding slide tube off the deck and have a big sandbox and a playhouse underneath.
  • barcis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    @rehder construction - that was another concern/question. We've used lattice before, but it was a very low deck and the lattice was a thin wood material. I think it would need to be very good quality material for this project.
  • whine
    10 years ago
    The best idea of all is a multi level deck. I had one in one of my houses, and it worked so well. Make sure each level can accommodate furniture.ie. one level should have a umbrella table and chairs,another just patio furniture etc., underneath we had lattice with a door. We stored our patio furniture there in the winter. The level outside my kitchen door we had the grill and a few chairs for the cook. good luck.!
  • PRO
    Heynssens + Grassman, Inc.
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    You have touched upon an all too common issue. If you have a lower level walk-out with a deck above, it is a challenge to decide what to do underneath the deck. Natural light in the lower lever rooms is significantly diminished, and the view outward (through support posts, or looking at the underside of the deck - full of cobwebs, etc.,) is not desirable.

If your budget allows, the ideal solution would be to make the deck surface solid so that water does not pass through, but is shed off. Then you can enclose the area underneath and make it into a usable room.

If darkness or unattractive views from inside the lower level of the house is not objectionable, then the lattice solution would work as far as the view from the yard looking back to the house. However, by going that route you may be building the perfect hideout for critters, fungus, mold, etc., underneath the deck.
  • barcis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Researching this has become an obsession for me. Once the house is finished (soon!) we'll be contacting a few deck and landscape professional for more ideas and estimates. I will be sure to post pictures. We are leaning towards a pergola over the walkout basement with a patio (to widen the deck area), a walkway underneath and using lattice to enclose the bottom part. We'll surround the deck with tall bushes, trees, and flower beds to scale down the height.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I think carrying the Hardiplank lower would help a lot.
  • barcis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That looks great, but removing our brand new brick to replace it with hardiplank isn't an option.
  • ruthmand
    10 years ago
    That's too bad as the siding stopping so high is what visually makes your deck look too high and unconnected.
  • PRO
    Rehder Construction, Inc.
    10 years ago
    rusticglam - Yes - most lattice is thin, but you can purchase a 3/8" thick lattice that is MUCH stronger in either a diagonal or rectangular pattern. The "privacy lattice" I referred to before just means a closer knit lattice.

Steve
  • barcis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm sure there are other solutions - just have to find them! :)
  • PRO
    Pro Touch Landscapes
    10 years ago
    I think that you are going to feel very different about it when you do some landscaping around the back of the home and you add some height from the ground up with plantings. This is going to soften the look of the deck. I would finish the project before you make and rash decisions. Good Luck!!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I would also recommend modifying the stairs so that there is a landing or turn mid-way. A straight shot down, as you appear to have, is dangerous and discourages people from moving from one level to the other (That's a long way down to take a tumble, with nothing stopping your momentum. See the following examples of what I mean about safer and more inviting stairs.

Sunroom and deck, Wayne, Pennsylvania · More Info

exterior · More Info

Rear view of the homes screened porch and deck from the backyard · More Info

Anthony Cusat of McHale Landscape Design · More Info
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    That's the problem with most decks and decking materials no matter what type you get you will always get water under the deck . Decks can and should be pleasing, practical, complimenting the style of the home and strong .
  • barcis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @ decoenthusieste...that is EXACTLY how we feel!
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    If you'd like we can design a conceptual drawing of what your deck will look like . You can then show it to a deck builder and they will make final adjustments to the drawing get permits and build it. Nothing this fancy of course.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Looking forward to how this dilemma is resolved for you!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    As I've also recommended to other homeowners building decks, consider modifying the stairs so that there is a landing or turn mid-way. A straight shot down is dangerous and discourages people from moving from one level to the other (That's a long way down to take a tumble, with nothing stopping your momentum. View this discussion: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/hating-our-deck-help-dsvw-vd~556123
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    You can have two levels and not cover the window, so light still gets in the house . Don't know where you are or ill build it myself .WWW.ebtdesigns.com. lots to consider when building a deck .
  • Vivian
    10 years ago
    Is it earth or concrete under the deck? My first thoughts are to build an outside kitchen on the ground patio as the divide between the patio and the large columns. I think Decoenthusiete's pic exterior slating would make a good background wall and by using wider spacing would save money on lumber. I would move or add stairs from the patio or make it a center entrance from the back so that guest could eat at either level. Now they have to walk around the the two area are absolutely not connected. If you leave it open a hard scape with sculputes and shade garden might be a possibility with plants like hostas. I love multi-level decks, they do not have to be huge, maybe even a mezzanine that gives you space for great planters and greenery. It also makes it easier for us older folk to climb rather than just a step straight up step set up like you have. If you have children, a screened in playroom would not necessarily need to waterproof from above if you use the right furnishing. First define how you want to use it and if you want low maintenance or like to garden a little. If the upstairs patio comes off the kitchen and you do an outdoor kitchen, I would still keep it on the lower level but would be sure I had easy access to the kitchen door with steps.
  • Laura Ricci
    10 years ago
    I had a deck almost exactly like yours. We added siding to the pillars under the deck and a gravel floor, and used it for storage. The door was also siding so it wouldnt stand out. It got the mower and gardening supplies out of the garage, and that made the garage much cleaner. I'm not a fan of lattice as it wears badly and then looks shabby or has to be replaced regularly. We also had french doors from the basement on that same side, and kept that small patio separate, without incorporating it with the storage shed under the deck.
  • barcis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @noiwh8...what did you use in place if lattice to enclose under the deck and hide gardening equipment?
  • Laura Ricci
    10 years ago
    We used the same siding as on the upper part of the house and trimmed it the same.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    A high-quality lattice, not the prefab panels from the big box stores, will retain its structural integrity and beauty for decades.
  • PRO
    Ginkgo Leaf Studio
    10 years ago
    Glad to see you are considering hiring a local professional, there are many variables involved in your project including the dimensions of the existing deck and how high off the ground it is. I agree with previous comments that adding a landing would make the steps more inviting and user friendly. Turning their direction at the landing and possibly adding a wrap around mid level deck would help to eat up some of the current deck's height. This is not an inexpensive option. Lattice by itself would, I think, look like huge sheets of lattice. Tall junipers or ornamental trees might help to disguise the height differential. Good luck with your project!
  • barcis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you. We are getting some estimates in early August!
  • PRO
    VizX Design Studios, LLC
    10 years ago
    If designed properly you could really get a lot of use out of your whole outdoor living area. I agree with Ginkgo by hiring a local professional. I would start with a designer then a installation professional once the design is complete. Keeping those areas separate will give you more design control of what you want built.
  • PRO
    Owen Landscape Architect
    8 years ago

deck way too high. Forget about patio space underneath. Maybe create a landing at door and integrate some steps to get the main deck lower - maybe 2-1/2 feet. The skirting design will be critical to the overall look.

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    8 years ago
    Old post 2013
  • baileysr
    8 years ago
    Omg, I saw your picture and had flashbacks, I think you took pictures of my old deck!!! It was identical to yours. We lived with it for way too long, but then tore it out and built new. The way I solved the height issue was to create a much larger, two tiered deck. The top tier is our main sitting and dining area, then there are 5 wide steps down to another smaller (but still comfortably sized) sitting deck, which then has steps down to our yard. I think the lower deck helps visually connect the upper deck to the ground. An unintended benefit for us is that the lower deck gives us new options for moving into the sun (or shade) depending on the time of day. Good luck!
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    8 years ago

I did this design for someone a while back, with a few tweaks you can make it work in your case.

Good luck