Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arosebyanyother

Lurker with garden rearrange questions

Arosebyanyother
5 years ago

Hi everyone, I’m a longtime lurker and I’ve learned so much from you all. I was hopeful that since it’s winter and maybe some of you were bored, you’d like to help me rearrange My garden. I would like to start by saying that I don’t have a computer so all my post are from my phone, and that’s why there will be so many typos lol.

Currently, my garden is set up in a way that it can’t be expanded on. I’m in zone 9b, around Houston, so my soil is hard clay. I currently have my roses in raised beds made out of fence pickets. I’m going to be changing to landscape timbers, and doubling the size of the boxes essentially. I’m going to start with 12 4x8 9in high. raised boxes. I’m going to put 3 roses to a box. I’m just unsure what to put where. Do I color code, do I mix match. I really don’t want to be moving these again for a while lol.

What I currently have:

Julia child

Crocus rose

(2) first crush

(2) sharif asma

Star of the republic

Madame Joseph Schwartz

Mr. Lincoln (I don’t know that I plan to keep this one)

Soul sister

Heritage

Lady of shallot

Abraham Darby

Eden

Koko loco

Distant drum

Blue girl

Cressida

Some apricot to soft orange walmart body bag, that I can’t remember the name of lol.

Double delight

What I have on order that will be here the end of February:

Munstead wood

Chianti

PAofK

Evelyn

Quietness

Spice

Mille franziska

Marchesa Boccella

Duchess de Brabant

Mademoiselle de sombreall

That’s 30 roses so far. I’ll have two empty boxes after, so if anybody has any suggestions for something that would look great with what I currently have I’m all ears :). My goal is to expand by 1 or 3 boxes every spring, untill my yard is a maze. I’m adding a pic of what my inspiration was for this project. Thank you all for any help your willing to give.

Jackie

Comments (19)

• Arosebyanyother
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is the other pic, that realllly made me want to change things.

• cecily 7A
    5 years ago

Try to group your roses by care requirements: some need fungicide and more frequent pruning, others (your antiques) don't.

Arosebyanyother thanked cecily 7A
  • Arosebyanyother
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It very humid where I am,so I spray everything with fungicide, because otherwise everything I have besides Julia would be completely leafless. That happened to me the first year lol. I don’t use any insecticide though.

• Arosebyanyother
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Deborah, what would you suggest I put with the reds? I’m not a fan of yellow and red together either, or red and white. Do you think a red would look good with Koko loco or blue girl? I could always buy some more ;)

It was actually sunny yesterday for the first time in almost a week so I actually got one of my boxes built yesterday. 1 down 11 to go. Lol

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    5 years ago

I agree with Cecily. Grouping roses by care requirements first will make happier roses and less trouble for you. It will still give you opportunity to group roses by color (or whatever way you decide) within their care groups, But if you are sincere about not wanting not to move your roses again, this is your best bet.

Signed- Someone who learned something about this

Arosebyanyother thanked Kes Z 7a E Tn
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

It seems like 3 roses in an eight ft. Long planter will be tight.

I think that Blue Girl will look nice between Koko Loko and Distant Drums.

I like Quitness between Chianti and Munstead Wood.

Good luck. I cant wait to see yoyr beautiful new yard.

Arosebyanyother thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • littlesmokie
    5 years ago

Fun project! Misc thoughts:

A significant consideration is growth habit/ultimate size. I’m also concerned 4x8 is not enough space.

What are your plans for supporting your climbers/shrubs that want to climb—Eden/Abraham Darby/Lady of Shallot/Evelyn etc.?

Could you put some of your (hopefully no spray?) tea roses —Mme Joseph Swartz/Duchesse de Brabant/Mlle Franziska Kruger— elsewhere in landscape?

I’d group your hybrid teas together —similar upright growth habits and most likely to need spraying attention. I like Kristine’s suggestion above to put Blue Girl with your “coffee” colored roses.

Could your big box ID could be brandy/just Joey/medallion?

Arosebyanyother thanked littlesmokie
  • Arosebyanyother
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I decided to go with 4x8 because it’s the most economical size, by price. 4x8 equals 9 landscape timbers. Going any bigger adds more to the price, which is why I decided on that particular size. I also really like the look of when roses sort of overlap.

I have a bunch of lattice and metal supports for the climbers. I’m even thinking about throwing an arch in a box, with a climber on either side. I guess it makes since to put the growing types next to each other. I honestly haven’t thought of that. I’m always so focused on color sometimes I forget everything else.

• Arosebyanyother
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I hate when y’all are right lol. I just planted the box I built yesterday and 2 per box is perfect. It’s just going to take me a little longer than i had planned. Oh well it’s always good to have projects .

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

I planted too closely 2 years ago and then I had to move so many roses, what a job .

I usually do 4 ft on center and then I just might have room 4 some other cool flowers

Arosebyanyother thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Arosebyanyother
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I started laying out my boxes (5 of them) yesterday and hated the way it looked. New plan is now(6) 4x24ft boxes. So 6 roses per box.

In one so far I have:

sharif asma

julia child

im considering these roses for the same box:

soul sister

first crush

other sharif asma (they would be at opposite ends)

Does anybody have a recommendation from my list what the sixth rose should be?

• toolbelt68
    5 years ago

Here is what I suggest for your climbers:

Three 4x4x8’ posts spaced 8 feet apart in 24' beds
    Two 3/8 in. x 8 in. Zinc-Plated Eye Bolt with Nut (one for each end post)
    Two 1/4 in. x 7-3/4 in. Turnbuckle Hook/Eye (one for the 3’ level the other at the top level)
    24’ of 9 ga wire (hard to bend but strong enough to hold up climbers) Drill hole through center post so wire can continue on to the next post without a need for a turnbuckle.

U-bolts for attaching the wire to the turnbuckles.

Install wire on posts starting at the 3’ level. Add another wire near the top of the posts as the climber grows.
    If you go horizontal when the climber reaches the 3 foot level you will end up with a ton more blooms. If you decide to go this route then replace the 8 foot posts with 10 foot posts, cut in half. (2 feet in ground 3 feet above). Also, start bending the rose canes right from the get-go as some will break if bent to late.

Don’t forget copper caps for the tops of each post…..

Three Waddell 4 in. x 4 in. Copper Top Pyramid Post Cap

Have fun.

After reading the above you may not be able to see the forest for all of the trees. If so, let me know and I'll draw you a picture.... lol

Arosebyanyother thanked toolbelt68
  • Arosebyanyother
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think I get the gist, but I’m not sure what an eye bolt or turn hook are. I really wanted to do like an entire lattice backing to one of the boxes, kind of like a semi privacy screen. I like the idea of the 4x4 in the boxes but I think I’ll go across the whole box with lattice instead of the wiring. You’ve definitly given me a better idea of how this will work!!!

• Arosebyanyother
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I’ll have to do 10ft and bury 2ft in the ground

• toolbelt68
    5 years ago

Climbers bloom at the top, the same as a low growing bush. So, if you have them growing horizontal they will put out more limbs (laterals) thus more roses….Something like this:

Here is quick drawing of what I suggested:

The turn buckle is used to tighten the wire.

In case you don’t know, they sell a 8ft long cap piece for lattice so the ends don’t get broken off. Pick up two, one for the top, other for the bottom of a 4x8 sheet of lattice. Make sure all pieces are pressure treated. Also, use 1/4 inch lattice.

Arosebyanyother thanked toolbelt68
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Thank you for those instructions! ; ) Alternately you could plant them in the middle and have the wire at the ground ... then grow them over to the posts. It's really pretty when the posts are tall and the roses swag. You might also want to take a look at Cori Ann's old post as she grew many of hers in raised planters up large obelisks.

Arosebyanyother thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Arosebyanyother
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yalls ideas sound amazing! Thank you for the drawing toolbelt, your really living up to your name right now :) that is a gorgeous picture.

• Arosebyanyother
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Do y’all think 50/50 sand, compost would be ok for the beds. I’m teying to think of the most economical easy to fill them. Since I need double the soil I currently have.