Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mswheezy

Quartz or granite?

mswheezy
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I currently have brown speckled granite tiles for a kitchen countertop. I'm sick of the dark brown look and the grout lines. I want something lighter with little to no movement in the pattern. I can't decide if i should go with quartz or granite. Quartz has "calmer" patterns/colors that i like and the granite slabs i find locally are too busy for my taste. With granite I love that i can set hot pots directly from the stove and oven onto it and I have a bad habit of slicing veggies directly on the countertop. (I know, i shouldn't do that with any countertop surface) I've brought home several quartz samples from different brands and put them through torture tests (put them in the wood fireplace, set boiling water pots on them, stabbed them with steak knives, left soy sauce and lemon juice on them overnight). The ONLY test that didn't pass was me forcibly stabbing them with the knife. You could see little pits on the lighter colors but not on the ones with patterns. Other than that these quartz samples look brand new! I'm very confused. Please advise!

Comments (20)

• chispa
    5 years ago

You really shouldn't place hot pot/pans from the stove/oven directly on top of a granite counter. Although granite can be more forgiving, there is no way around science and physics ... thermal shock is a real phenomenon.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    5 years ago

Quartz slabs will not withstand hot pots placed on them. You will void Your warranty have have a major expense on your hands. I would stick to granit if I were you. As for cutting directly on a countertop, you are harming your knives terribly.

• mswheezy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

i think the reason we've gotten away with placing hot pans on the granite is due to it being tiles, so basically the heat doesn't make it past the 12 x 12 square.

• Lisa G.
    5 years ago

Quartz, hands down.

• chocolatebunny123
    5 years ago

I had this same dilemma and went with quartz only because I preferred the consistency in pattern. I almost went with granite (blue pearl) but the quartz I went with went better with my cabinets. I'm happy with my choice.

mswheezy thanked chocolatebunny123
  • Aglitter
    5 years ago

What @Susie said, the most durable granites are dark. If you don't want dark, go with quartz. If you like cutting on the surface, consider placing a butcher block countertop on part of your surface or using something like The Galley sink that has a surface cutting board incorporated. You can't put hot pots on quartz or it will burn a spot into the surface which will be unrepairable. Bright sunlight will cause quartz to yellow over time if you have a window to the kitchen. Quartzite is different from quartz and comes in lighter colors and is harder than granite.

mswheezy thanked Aglitter
  • User
    5 years ago

You have to decide if you are willing to change your two worst habits. You may very well of not done damage to the samples yet but that does not mean you won’t at some point . And the damage will be far more noticeable on the light quartz. I use to do the exact same thing to my granite with Zero problems for 19 years. Wouldn’t think of ever doing it to the new quartz I have.

mswheezy thanked User
  • mswheezy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Susie and chocolatebunny123, how is your quartz holding up in the kitchen? Any chips or scratches? How long have you had it? any problems with melting by the stove?

• tackykat
    5 years ago

I have had quartz in my kitchen for five years. Melting by the stove? have never heard of that happening.

mswheezy thanked tackykat
  • mark_rachel
    5 years ago

When we were looking I really wanted to like quartz, but I just couldn't. It's just not my style. I like it in other people's kitchens, but not for mine. I love it in my bathrooms though. Its a personal choice & you have to find something YOU like. I've never had an issue with any of the granite or quartz that I've had. I wouldn't suggest putting hot things on either of them though.

mswheezy thanked mark_rachel
  • tackykat
    5 years ago

As mark-Rachel says, it's a matter of personal preference and what you like best. Both surfaces are extremely durable and will serve you well in a kitchen. I was the opposite of mark-Rachel. I looked and looked at granite but did not see a pattern I liked, so I went with quartz. You can't go wrong either way on the merits, so its really a design choice, I think.

mswheezy thanked tackykat
  • jhmarie
    5 years ago

I have older oak cabinets and found most of the granites too busy with the wood grain of the cabinets, so some of the decision will depend on your cabinets. I went with a light quartz and I'm very happy. I have always been one to use hot pads, so I don't lay hot pots right on the counter. I've had my quartz 2.5 years and no problems so far.

mswheezy thanked jhmarie
  • Toni Hamlett
    5 years ago
    I agree with Tackykat - personal preference. As for putting a hot pot directly on the counter - you should not do this to any counter. A trivet is in expensive and most people have a few close in hand so go for what you like. Personally I went with quartz due to consistency in pattern but I have friends who did granite. All of us are happy with our selections
    mswheezy thanked Toni Hamlett
  • Susie .
    5 years ago
    My quartz is only a couple of years old. No issues near the cooktop (it’s gas and I cook a lot). No chipping anywhere (my granite in my previous home chipped a lot). I use cutting boards and trivets. I did have one stain when cooking guajillo chilies, but that even stains my porcelain. It finally cleaned up with magic eraser and hot water. It’s really low maintenance, since it doesn’t need to be sealed and doesn’t need to be babied when cleaning it.
    mswheezy thanked Susie .
  • chocolatebunny123
    5 years ago

I've only had quartz since August and so far so good (knocks on wood). No melting near the gas range. I have one teeny tiny chip on the island but can only feel it when I run my fingers over it. I can't even see it. We always use cutting boards and trivets and did so when we had laminate.

mswheezy thanked chocolatebunny123
  • mswheezy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

well, i would choose granite because of the durability. the only downfall it has in my opinion is i can't find a slab that isn't 'busy'. in other words i want a granite that looks like quartz. FYI - i don't make it a habit to stab my countertop - i was just testing worst case scenarios.

• PRO
    D Old Granite LLC
    5 years ago

By touching natural stone (granite, marble, quartzite) our senses get in touch with minerals we so much desire in our diet through plants (that get these nutrients through soil/broken rocks).

So I like getting home and touching a rock, hugging a tree or taking a shower: getting in contact with natural elements.

• PRO
    D Old Granite LLC
    5 years ago

Also, today we have available the natural quartz (igneous quartz), many times mislabeled quartzites, like Kristalo, Lumix.... these have a minimalistic look in trend today

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    5 years ago

"In other words i want a granite that looks like quartz."

Yep, this is exactly what I want, too! I have been reading these countertop threads with interest since mine desperately need replacing and I'm starting to plan. The problem is DH is careless with hot pots. I've told him countless times not to set hot pots right from the stove onto the countertop -- he does it regardless. Quartz wouldn't last a month in my kitchen, if what I've been reading about heat damage is correct. (we have ceramic tile now -- heat doesn't phase it so he thinks all countertops are heat-proof)

mswheezy thanked mxk3 z5b_MI