Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_48933839

Help- black or white granite for counters?

User
5 years ago
Hi all! Ive received solid advice here before so I'm back with another question.

We are installing a natural birch wood butcher block on our island. It will not be stained, just oiled so it will be a light wood color. The backsplash will be a pure white basic 3x6 subway tile. Tile will go to the ceiling around the kitchen window.

The cabinets are a dark java brown, nearly black. Also the whole kitchen is open and visible from the LR so I want the island to be the star. Also kitchen gets tons of natural light.

I'm trying to narrow it down to a black granite vs a white granite before I go to see all the slabs. Natural stone is my jam so I already know I'm going to love every stone and then be overwhelmed with choices. If I can narrow it down beforehand it will save me some stress!
Black granite
White granite

Comments (15)

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

pictures would help!

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

1 more

• skmom
    5 years ago
    I voted white because I always prefer a contrast between the counter and cabinetry, plus I think the white counter will do better to help it feel brighter in there. (I personally have white cabinetry with steel grey leathered granite, looks dark grey to almost black depending, with a dark grey island topped with walnut, and a white backsplash with white grout, I love how it looks because it’s a lot of contrast and texture.) But I’d do a white counter in your kitchen if it were me.
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes contrast and texture is exactly what I'm going for! Your kitchen sounds lovely! I will likely pick the leathered granite too.

My pics do look very dark, usually the kitchen is brighter but its a dreary day today. But I don't want the kitchen to look too dark on dreary days either so that's plus one for white counters. Thank you!
  • K R
    5 years ago
    You say the kitchen gets a ton of natural light but it seems dark in the pictures...you may want to look into more lighting, possibly under cabinet lighting. Either way I would definitely do white counters. Black on black would be like a cave!
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes it usually does, we actually don't have a ton of lighting because on bright days we get lots of light but today is unusually dark. We did order some under cab lighting and will be getting that installed as well. We needed that for sure. I'm definitely thinking white is the way to go. thanks!
  • skmom
    5 years ago
    I love my leathered granite! I love the way it feels... I originally wanted soapstone, but we couldn’t find a piece we liked that we could afford and then I came upon the leathered granite (had never heard of it before then) and I fell in love and it gives me most of the things I had wanted from the soapstone. Now I have heard that the white granites are more porous than the dark granites... my steel grey leathered granite is practically bulletproof, but be sure you get a sample of any white granite you think you might get and try your best to stain it so you know what you’re getting into. (I used to have a cheap slab of polished granite that looked like a salt and pepper pattern... it was here when we bought this house. I lived with it for five years... and I was able to stain it, so I know it’s possible to stain some granites.) Anyways, that’s my advice... but I sure do love leathered granite... it’s probably what I’m going to put into my master bathroom for the countertops once we start that remodeling project in a couple of years. I just love it that much!
  • M Miller
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

If you are getting dark cabinets, then a dark counter would be too much dark. Also I personally find working on dark counters to be difficult on my eyes. Either there is too much bounced reflection of overhead lights, or there is not enough contrast between the food I’m preparing and the dark counters, unless the overhead lighting is on full blast, leading to the reflection problem. But your eyes may be younger than mine...for now ;)

Check out Alaska White granite - lots of white, but also has dark chunks so the best of both worlds. It’s also quite stain-proof and etch-proof. Alaska White granite slabs vary a lot, some are busier, some more quiet, some with more black, some with more taupe, so if you are interested, it’s best to go to a few stoneyards to get a slab you would like best.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    ah great tip M Miller!! I have a lazy eye so eye strain is a deal breaker for me.

The Alaska White is so pretty and I love the mix of light and dark. Y'all have settled it for me!

And I will definitely pick up a few samples to check for stain-ability.

Thanks all for your help!! Now I will feel confident passing on the black slabs even though I know I will love them, haha.
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Great point on the backsplash- This is my biggest kitchen update so far and the only one I'll get for a while so I don't want to make a mistake!
  • PRO
    Focal Point Hardware
    5 years ago

you mentioned that the cabinets are a dark brown almost black. I don't like the look of black with almost black. it doesn't match up well and it looks mismatched by accident. I like the look of white granite with butcher block wood and It will be very pretty!!

• Donna E
    5 years ago

Check out Viscount White granite too

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Focal point- you are so right. I did a mock up and noticed that I immediately thought the black looked off. Too hard to match to java cabs. It looked much better in my head!
  • PRO
    Door Corner
    5 years ago

We voted the white as well for contrast, good luck!