Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccwatters

Double Oven or Micro Oven Combo

ccwatters
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

My 80 year old parents are moving into a ranch after 55 years in the trilevel I grew up in. I am redoing their kitchen for them and am struggling with where to put their microwave.

My mom has had a single wall oven for 55 years and likes that height for maneuvering and viewing. The new kitchen has a double oven. We are redoing the whole kitchen and I planned to just give her new double ovens (in a new cabinet). But with the microwave being a challenge to place, that double oven cabinet is one option by going with a microwave/oven combo instead. For the sake of function, I am not a fan of this and she doesn't really want it there because she rarely uses the microwave and uses her oven much more, prefers the oven at eye level. So I'm tentatively planning on a different location, but I'm wondering what people's opinions are of the micro/oven combo: love or hate? Why?

I will also post a pic of tentative placement of micro next to the kitchen sink window. Unlike the rendering, it would actually be in a 12"D X 27"W cabinet with an extended ledge for part of microwave to sit on (NOT the 21"D cabinet as shown). I have experience with the microwave in both types of cabinets and the 12"D is better for this layout as the 21"D is too bulky.

And just fyi below is the placement of where double ovens are:

(It's not shown, but there's 42" of clearance on other side of island)

Comments (11)

• Helen
    5 years ago

I just finished a remodel in which aging in place and ergonomic functionality was paramount.

I went with the Bosch side opening oven with a Sharp microwave drawer under the oven.

The side opening oven is placed at the optimal height for me and is even more functional than a standard wall oven at the identical height would have been because I can access it from the front instead of the side.

My microwave drawer has a tilt up control panel so I can easily view the controls without stooping or peering. The drawer is at a good height for placing and pulling out any items I want.

Any other configuration didn't work for me in terms of maximizing accessibility.

ccwatters thanked Helen
  • ccwatters
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I like that idea Helen, it's smart and definitely something to consider!! Did you have to use custom cabinetry, or modify standard cabinetry for that configuration? The line we are going with (because cost is a factor) is standard.

Also, I'm very familiar with the Bosch oven, but would you mind sharing the model# of your Sharp microwave if you happen to have that info?

• Helen
    5 years ago

The wall oven and microwave drawer just fit into a standard 30" tall cabinet that is generally used to house wall ovens. I would imagine any cabinet line has that kind of cabinet.

I went with the 30" model since it didn't seem to make sense to get the 27" drawer and a trim kit to fit a 30" cabinet. I guess if one is not specifically placing it in a 30" cabinet, having the smaller size makes sense as some people install the microwave drawer in an island.

Sharp Microwave Drawer

I think this is my model - there really isn't that much choice when you determine exactly what you want. I wanted the tilt up control - I wanted 30" and I didn't want (or need) the wave technology. I didn't pay list price for this as I was able to negotiate a good price since I was buying a lot of appliances at the same time. Bosch doesn't permit discount pricing but they often have rebates AND stores will provide a deep discount on another brand (e.g. the Sharp) so the net price is a discount.

Sharp manufactures all microwave drawers so there is no point in spending more for a fancier name plate. It looks fine below the Bosch oven and matching appliances wasn't a concern for me anyway as I selected each appliance based on functionality.

30 IN. 1.2 CU. FT. 950W SHARP STAINLESS STEEL MICROWAVE DRAWER OVEN (SMD3070AS)

You didn't ask but you might consider induction cooktop for your parents. It's highly recommended for seniors because there is no heat generated so it's safer to use. It's also much easier to keep clean because there is no heat so things don't get burned on the way they do in a standard electric stove and of course far easier to clean than any kind of gas cooktop.

• catlady999
    5 years ago

Instead of regular microwave, they now offer microwave/convection oven combinations. Your mom might like that option.

ccwatters thanked catlady999
  • ccwatters
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Helen, thank you so much for the detailed information. I just wonder how they installed the heavier full oven above the microwave in a standard double oven cabinet. The standard cabinet allows the weight of the double oven to sit on top of the bottom of the cabinet. I wonder what they have your Bosch sitting on top of.

I did consider induction. I think it's a great option for older people as well, but at 80, my mom doesn't want to switch from what she is used to / have to learn a new way, and they are pricier (tight budget)....not to mention a whole new set of pots/pans. I'm trying so hard to make this transition as calm as possible/ keep things familiar so that it doesn't overwhelm them and create any health issues.

Catlady, thank you so much for your input! I know they offer convection-microwaves now, but at her age it is daunting / she really doesn't like the idea of learning to operate something like that (she even refuses to get a cell phone ;)....I'm trying to keep everything as basic as possible...if possible :)

• wdccruise
    5 years ago

Why don't you just put the microwave oven above the stove? Then both the regular and microwave ovens can be at eye-level.

ccwatters thanked wdccruise
  • Helen
    5 years ago

Installation wasn't an issue at all. Obviously I wasn't doing the installation but neither my GC nor my installer brought it up.

It is now not uncommon at all to have a wall oven placed over another type of wall appliance. You can take a look at the installation instructions for wall ovens but I don't think they are installed just by being stacked on top of the other appliance. I think they are attached to the walls and sides. Some people have only ONE wall oven.

ccwatters thanked Helen
  • Kristin S
    5 years ago

For aging in place purposes, my first choice would be a microwave that sits in a hutch that runs to counter level (it can be hidden in an appliance garage or framed in), so that it's on the counter with space in front of it. That means that hot food can come straight from the microwave onto a counter surface. If that's not an option, my next choice would be a microwave drawer under a counter surface, so you just have to lift the hot food up and onto the counter. I wish I had a picture of my parents', but since I don't this is a pretty good image of the general idea.

I would also want a counter surface next to the oven, so that the user can pull out a hot pan and immediately place it down without having to pivot to a counter behind him/her. Pivoting seems easy for the young, but I know it's one of the things that trips my grandmother up the most and has resulted in falls. I certainly wouldn't want one of those in the kitchen with a hot pan of something.

ccwatters thanked Kristin S
  • Helen
    5 years ago

I found a picture of my wall oven cabinet which was taken before installation.

I gave the appliance specifications to my kitchen designer and so whatever was needed internally for my configuration was done. It didn't seem to be any kind of issue. As you can see there is some kind of shelf which holds the oven and the microwave drawer is below that.

I opted for blue laminate or matching blue painted interiors on my cabinets instead of the more standard white or wood tone - except where I have a few glass cabinets and those are stained to match the cabinet doors.

I used laminate for all shelves and the interior of my sink cabinet for easy cleaning and paint for interiors which I didn't feel would need the same level of protection for dirt or whatever.

• paddykk
    4 years ago

@afcgirl - What double ovens did you get? And no issue with them? Happy with them?