Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Artichokes in pressure cooker

Lars
4 years ago

We bought artichokes at the farmers' market, and I decided that it would be a good idea to cook them in the PC. Has anyone done this? The ones we bought are quite large and have long stems, which is why I bought them - I always eat the stems, although they do have to be peeled.

Should I cut them in half before cooking them?

Comments (10)

• sushipup1
    4 years ago

I've never bothered using anything but steaming. Are you in a PC sort of hurry? If they are nice and fresh, just steam them. Maybe 45 minutes.

Lars thanked sushipup1
  • Lars
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The pressure cooker instruction manual says to cook them 9-11 minutes if they are large (and they are), but it also says to cook them without leaves, and I am not going to remove the leaves.

I've always boiled mine before, with a lemon in the water, but I want to use the PC this time because it preserves more of the flavor. I also do not want to heat up the kitchen, and the PC is good for avoiding that.

I used to have an artichoke plant in my back yard in Venice, but it got really huge, and so I got rid of it. It was nice to be able to pick the artichokes with stems as long as I wanted, but at this point, I am content to buy them at the farmers' market. I do miss my fig trees, however.

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    4 years ago

I always cook artichokes with leaves in the pressure cooker. My mom cooked everything in the PC, but I mostly just use it for artichokes!

Lars thanked JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
  • Islay Corbel
    4 years ago

I always cut the stem off so it sits flat on the plate. I boil, then eat with vinaigrette or boil, then mix breadcrumbs with parmesan and some herbs and push that between the leaves and bake until the cheese melts. Yum. They're not ready here yet.

Lars thanked Islay Corbel
  • sushipup1
    4 years ago

Here's some info from the California Artichoke Advisory board.

http://artichokes.org/cooking-artichokes

and Ocean Mist Farms has lots of recipes, all sound delicious.

https://www.oceanmist.com/recipes/all

• Sooz
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I just made these in my Instant Pot on Wednesday. I had two very large Globe artichokes, left the stem on (I peel & eat them, too), trimmed off the very top and then used scissors to cut off the pokey parts of the leaves that the initial trim didn't get. I did not remove the leaves.

I did not cut them in half. I put them on the IP rack (they were on their "side"), added 1 C of water and a couple squeezes of lemon, and pressure cooked for 16 minutes, using Quick Release when the 16 minute timer went off. Delicious and perfectly cooked! HTH.

Edited to add: they were 88 ¢ each at Windmill Farms--a wonderful bargain!

Lars thanked Sooz
  • Lars
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Those recipes look good! I had forgotten about deep fried artichoke hearts - I've only had those in Castroville (north of Monterey). We did go to the Giant Artichoke Restaurant when we were there, but lots of restaurants there had them.

The microwave method looks good, but I would not use plastic wrap in the MW.

I cooked mine, cut in half so that they would be in the PC, and cut the stems off to cook make them fit in the pan as well (cooked them 12 minutes). I did cook the stems. I made a mayonnaise sauce for them with extra virgin olive oil (from Paso Robles), cayenne, mustard powder, and extra lemon juice, to thin it down. I thought I would have more mayo left over than I did. I used an EVOO with a strong peppery flavor. I'm going to have to consider more of the Ocean Mist recipes and maybe buy some baby artichokes for deep frying.

They were cheaper at the farmers' market than at the grocery store, which is not usually the case for most produce.

• Islay Corbel
    4 years ago

Yotam ottolenghi does magic things with artichokes and broad beans.

Lars thanked Islay Corbel
  • BlueSky Susan (10b-24)
    4 years ago

Like some others said above, I use the pressure cooker, about 1 cup of water, about 10 minutes. Nice and fast. I judge whether they are done by the smell - it changes as they cook. 2 big ones can about fit in my pot, without stems. I leave all of the leaves on. Now that they barely have thorns, I don't even clip the ends of the leaves either. Now I am hungry for artichokes . . .

Lars thanked BlueSky Susan (10b-24)