Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ann9bnapa

Last blooms of my 2019 spring flush

Ann9BNCalif
4 years ago

It's been a weird spring in the northern Bay Area with lots of rain and a weak sun. Some of my roses performed as usual but many are paler (Munstead Wood is a dark pink, Olivia Rose Austin is nearly all white). The quantity of roses was about the same but the size of some blooms were noticeably smaller and some roses were late in blooming. Other flowers have been impacted too. My hydrangeas which are normally in full bloom by Memorial Day are still green buds that are just now bigger than a quarter. I need to start deadheading and I'm looking forward to the second flush.

Here are some highlights from the last few weeks.

William Shakespeare 2000 looking much purpler than usual which I really like.

More to come.

Ann

Comments (30)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

SO Beautiful! One of my favorites! I have one in the ground that got smashed by a tree limb that is coming back slowly. I ordered another this spring since people were saying he would be discontinued from DA. Mine are often more magenta than red in our heat.

Ann9BNCalif thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The Endeavour Rose - I love the color and it has a moderate scent. He's also a good bloomer!

Thomas a Becket surrounded by Princess Alexandra of Kent. TaB has one of the best fragrances of all my roses. I can't figure out what to call the scent but it might be a fruity, honey, and jasmine scent. Benjamin Britten is the right rear and displays this partial whitening of the outside of the petals which I also saw with my Yves Piaget rose due to lack of sun.

More...

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Princess Alexandra of Kent was very late in blooming but I'm glad she's finally here.

The Wedgwood Rose

More...

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The Reeve with Leander and The Pilgrim in the background.

Another dark pink Austin with violet undertones is Bishop's Castle.

More...

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I planted three standards this year to complete a row of them along my fence. One of them was Violet's Pride which has lovely shades of lavender with some pink and is nicely fragrant.

Another new rose I just got from Palatine is Diane Loomer. Here's her very first bloom, a bit battered by rain.

More...

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Another new rose that I know everyone seems to love is Augusta Luise. She's a very good bloomer with lovely colors and a good scent. She's still only about a foot tall after being planted but that's normal for 90% of my roses. They take a long time to root and establish.

Neil Diamond starting year three and enjoying a sunny day.

More..

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

Your roses are a delight Ann! Love the color of William Shakespeare 2000 and I think that’s the prettiest bloom I’ve seen of Violet’s Pride, a beautiful bloom of Augusta Luise too! All of them are gorgeous!

Ann9BNCalif thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Spiced Coffee starting year two. I enjoy this rose's lovely shades and fragrance.

Ruth Clements's first bloom. This rose has a good scent too.

Hope you enjoyed the pics!

Ann

• Krista_5NY
    4 years ago

Thank you for the garden tour. Violet's Pride is a great rose, I've been happy with it, good repeat bloom and tolerates a cold zone.

You have so many beautiful roses, Princess Alexandra of Kent is superb.

Wonderful photos of gorgeous roses!

Ann9BNCalif thanked Krista_5NY
  • BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    4 years ago

What a beautiful collection of blooms you still have. The first flush comes and goes too quickly for me!

Ann9BNCalif thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • cyndita (west coast zone 9)
    4 years ago

Fantastic, Ann!!! Wonderful roses & photos.

Ann9BNCalif thanked cyndita (west coast zone 9)
  • sharon2079
    4 years ago

What lovely roses.... thank you for sharing them....

Ann9BNCalif thanked sharon2079
  • User
    4 years ago

.. a beautiful garden of roses.. I think you and I are the only people in the world who grow 'TaB'...

Ann9BNCalif thanked User
  • Jaime 7a NY
    4 years ago

Wow, so beautiful!! Impatiently waiting for my first flush to open

Ann9BNCalif thanked Jaime 7a NY
  • Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone! I've really enjoyed many your roses and photos this spring and look forward to seeing pics from rose lovers who are just clearing away the snow and getting buds!

Marlorena - thanks for your comment. What do you think TaB smells like?

FYI - forgot to add a couple of pics.

Jubilee Celebration - submitting this one to the American Rose Society calendar contest.

Reine des Violettes - also sending to ARS for 2020 calendar consideration.

Ann

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

Such beautiful roses, Ann! Thank you for sharing! :-)

Ann9BNCalif thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • User
    4 years ago

Beautiful! With all the rain you have had, must be an especially good year for roses.

Ruth looks so unqique

Ann9BNCalif thanked User
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

Your photos deserve to be in a calendar, Ann!

Ann9BNCalif thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    4 years ago

Oh my those are delightful! I love them all. All the colours look so vivid. I've always admired your variety of roses, I like seeing some of the less common ones. I cannot pick one I like more than another because they are all great!

Ann9BNCalif thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
  • Dave5bWY
    4 years ago

Spectacular, Ann! I would love to stroll down the walkway lined with such beautiful roses!

Ann9BNCalif thanked Dave5bWY
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    4 years ago

Soooo gorgeous and beautiful photos as well !!!! I couldn’t choose a favorite if I tried!!

Ann9BNCalif thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

Love your gorgeous garden :) Helen

Ann9BNCalif thanked bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
  • dianela7analabama
    4 years ago

Ann WOW your roses are spectacular. Your William S 2000 is amazing. They are all beautiful. I particularly love your Wedgwood rose and bishops castle. AL is looking great, I am so glad a lot of us were able to get it this year from Palatine’s. Ruth Cl is one I had never seen before and it is very nice. Please keep sharing with us your beautiful roses.

Ann9BNCalif thanked dianela7analabama
  • jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    4 years ago

Wow Spectacular photos Ann! :-)

Ann9BNCalif thanked jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
  • User
    4 years ago

Ann.. re scent of TaB... I think as you said it.. sort of old rose with a hint of citrus... mine isn't blooming yet,.. another week or so I think... I wonder if the scent is stronger for you, being in a warmer climate..

Ann9BNCalif thanked User
  • Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks again to everyone for your kind words!

Marlorena - I want to say it's been like England the past week or so with rain and gray days. It was 49 degrees when I went to bed and only 50 degrees outside right now at 8AM. I find that while I live in a warmer climate, my little patch has very low humidity due to strong winds that dry out the air. Right now humidity is up so while it's "cold" for me, the scent of a lot roses is a bit stronger which is awesome!

Ann

• sautesmom Sacramento
    4 years ago

Myself I have been finding our weather delightful, a real spring for once with no fried roses, but we have 90s forecast this week, so I think the party's over LOL
    How does your Spiced Coffee do in the heat? I love the ruffles!
    Carla in Sac

Ann9BNCalif thanked sautesmom Sacramento
  • Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    4 years ago

HI Carla - I did check the forecast and noticed that 90s are expected in a week or so. I guess that's ok since my flush is over and the roses are about to recalibrate. The average summer temperature in my area is about 85-87 which is pretty good for roses!

My Spiced Coffee is growing under a tree so I can vouch that it's somewhat shade tolerant but I don't know about super strong sun. It's a lovely fragrant rose with varying shades. Here's a collage I did last year when I first planted it.

In my experience roses in their very first year can show a lot of variability as this one does. I'm wondering if Spiced Coffee will continue being variable in year two or will it start to standardize in appearance? I guess time will tell!

Ann

• jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)
    4 years ago

Ann - how absolutely beautiful. I enjoyed every one of the pics, and the two that you are planning to enter for the ARS calendar are just stunning. Good luck!

You have such gorgeous roses and your garden looks wonderful.

Jo

Ann9BNCalif thanked jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)