Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
80sgirlatheart

Window treatments for 2 story great room windows?!

80sgirlatheart
4 years ago

It has been suggested to put panels from the top of the windows to the floors on each end. Any other ideas or thoughts? I feel like super long curtains can sometimes make windows look castle-ish for lack of a better word. If panels win out, what color(s) would work? We are trying to go for a more earthy theme. Also contemplating blinds of some sort on the lower windows.

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Lindsay Lausch Interior Design
    4 years ago

In your space, I recommend plantation shutters!

• homechef59
    4 years ago

I have similar space, but I don't have the half round shapes on top. My top windows are rectangular. I have opaque blinds on the lower set of windows. Nothing on the top section. This gives me privacy, but does not remove all of the light. When the blinds are open, you really have to look to see that I even have anything on the window.

My suggestion is to keep it as simple as possible. The windows themselves are the focal point.

• Lisa Lester
    4 years ago

We did plantation shutters - pls ignore sewing projects in progress :-)

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Panels on just the ends will look skimpy and out of proportion. I would treat only the bottom windows and probably keep it simple with cellular shades. If you want to go earthy, you might do woven woods or Roman shades.

Belgian Opaque Linen Flat Roman Shade · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

pretty room.

custom motorized blinds would work

or simple white drapes

• 80sgirlatheart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@homechef59 I am thinking that I may stay simple as you suggest.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I think solar shades on the top windows for sure to protect the furniture and floors from fading and some heat control and then motorized blinds for the lowers. I never like drapery panels unless full enough to close and still look nice even if you never do it anything else just looks skimpy and cheap. BTW the solar shades still allow light just not the fading UV rays and please no plantation shutters on those windows

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Do you need window coverings over the tall windows for function or aesthetic?

If it's for aesthetic I would leave them uncovered. I would do beautiful roman shades for the lower windows.

If you need them for function I would only cover the rectangular portion of the window with motorized shades (that match lowers).

• 80sgirlatheart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We don't need anything on the windows for light; we don't get direct sun. It is more so for privacy. I think I may look into shades or blinds for just the lower windows. I want something that I barely know is there when they are up all of the way.

• PRO
    Gordon's Window Decor
    4 years ago

We had the pleasure to work in this beautiful home with two-story window design.

Designed EcoSmart Solar Automated Shades for the upper windows and manual Solar shades for the lower.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I would leave the upper windows bare. You can put shades on the lowers, or use a drapery rod across the wall with panels between each lower window for a softer look.

Western Springs Living Room · More Info

• 80sgirlatheart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I appreciate all of the input. I am thinking I will do some sort of shades on the lower windows only. I'd prefer something with a very low profile, something you can't tell is there when retracted. Anyone have brands, products, etc. that they like and that are economical?

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    4 years ago

How about a ceiling mounted ripplefold semi-sheer drapery? Two story is beautiful and the tracks just visually disappear.

Master bedroom · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Contact Smith and Noble. They have several good value products with many choices in looks and reasonable pricing and installation. Just used them in a home I'm working on and they did a great job and their designers are very helpful on the home visit and have samples and can do mock ups on their hand held computers. Very efficient use of your time too.

• PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    4 years ago

Hey There: My suggestion for your windows are motorized roller shades. I believe you don't have power to the windows, so a lithium battery operating system (the charge lasts 6 to 9 months) with a remote control is a great solution. Minimalistic style to keep the openness of your windows. You will cover only the squared part of the upper windows though - the roller shades will line up with your horizontal bars in the window. The different height in the window give a nice variation in design. The roller shades are only 2 1/4 and not bulky - no casing is required and you can operate them from your smartphone. To charge the roller shades, just plug them in like your tablets and recharge them over nite - done.

Roller Shades Made in Germany · More Info

(no chain though)

• PRO
    Angelica Angeli ❤ Interior Design Journalist
    4 years ago

Maybe this will help you out.

Custom Drapery · More Info

• 80sgirlatheart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Angelica Angeli ❤ Interior Design Journalist Those drapes are beautiful. Not sure I can get my room to look like that. :) The window is much nicer in your pic.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

If you want something simple that disappears when open, use solar roller shades on just the lower windows, interior mounted. No need to motorize them since you can reach them.

Drew McGukin Interiors - Chelsea Apartment · More Info

• Holly
    2 years ago

WhAt did you end up doing?

• 80sgirlatheart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

See pics.