Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_adams3049647

Some random pictures from this morning;Mel’s Heritage, Wild Edric, etc

Lisa Adams
4 years ago

I looked around this morning to see how everything was doin. The wind is gone, but the humidity is still at 6%. It’s been harder on some roses than others. It looks like Mel’s Heritage and Wild Edric haven’t been phased at all. A few others are definitely showing the effects of the harsh weather we’ve had for the past two weeks or so. I did move as many potted roses as I could lift to the west side yard. The wind normally comes from the coast. but during Santa Ana events, the hot dry wind comes from the eastern desert. The roses in the backyard fared better than the roses out front. Just the fenced in backyard was enough to give many roses a small wind break.

I gave this Mel’s Heritage cluster a shake to release a few faded blossoms, and it looks so fresh.

Usually, Mel’s Heritage blooms in clusters for me, but this single bloom caught my eye. It’s a nice contrast with the silver foliage of Lupinus albifrons around it.

Hopefully these will post, and more will follow. Lisa

Comments (94)

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 years ago

Lisa, I've just about decided on Louise Odier instead of Baronne Prevost. I'm not sure Baronne P would repeat well here, however her enormous blooms are hard to ignore. Did you ever decide if your mystery rose is Louise O or Grandmother's Hat? BTW, that last photo is heavenly.

Lisa Adams thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
    4 years ago

I got The Faun (thanks to Lisa's pictures) last year from Burlington's. Whoever is interested could try emailing her.
    Burling of Burlington Rose Nursery burlingtonroses@aol.com

Lisa Adams thanked maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
  • katyajini
    4 years ago

Vap, there you are suggesting on air something fabulous. I looked up Summer Romance. I think I would love it! How do you know so much? So its a bloom machine with great fragrance? How big did it get for you?

flowers what made you decide LO? I think thats a beautiful rose. But everybody says BP is easy ans repeats well?

Lisa thank you so much for you recommendations and encouragement. what are the white flowers amidst BP? The combination is just lovely.

Lisa Adams thanked katyajini
    4 years ago

Katyajini, I love both LO and BP equally and should get both. I think LO might bloom more and I like the color. BP has super hardiness and huge blooms going for it. Tough decision, for sure.

• Krista_5NY
    4 years ago

So many beautiful roses and companion flowers, gorgeous garden.

Lisa Adams thanked Krista_5NY
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Flowers, I never did get a definitive answer about the ID of my super star rose. I always refer to it as my “Not Louise Odier-maybe Grandmother’s Hat.” It’s hard to believe the true Louise Odier would bloom as heavily in my climate as my plant does. The spring flush is unbelievable, and it keeps blooming all summer. Mine usually slows down around September, although there are still a few blooms on it today.

Jeri says Grandmother’s Hat isn’t as prickly as what I’ve shown, but StrawChicago told me that roses growing in very clay soil will become more prickly than usual. Whatever I’m growing, it’s a keeper. I was also able to root one for my bonus daughter, Sarah. So, this rose roots easily. It came from Rouge Valley as Louise Odier.

Here’s a full plant photo. I do cut her back to keep her in her place.

Katyajina, the white flowers you’re asking about are the annual , Orlaya grandiflora. It has self sown itself to excess in my garden. It started with one plant, and now I pull up seedlings by the handful. They do make wonderful cut flowers and look great in the garden.

It’s beautiful, but a mess to clean up once it’s spent. The rose amongst the Orlaya is Comice de Tarne-et-Garonne, a real beauty.

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, Krista and Vap. Starting this thread has at least gotten me out there doing a little deadheading and weed pulling for pictures:). Lisa

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

Wish I could grow that one, Lisa, but it might be taking zone-pushing a zone or two too far! I also have a gifted Comice deTetG so welcome any info. on it. : )

Concerning Wild Edric, Freedom Gardens will custom propagate this rose. Peter informed me that one or two people order custom propagation each year but he rarely has any extras. So go ahead and email him and get one for next year. I say this for almost all the old Austins. It's worth asking. There are some already on his list such as Bibi Maizoon, CONSTANCE SPRY, COUNTRY LIVING, Fair Bianc, Fisherman's Friend, Jayne Austin, Lady Salisbury, Mayor of Casterbridge, MORNING MIST, The Endeavor and the oft mentioned The Prince for current delivery. Had I thought I would have asked about Potter and Moore, but I'm betting he grows that one as well. He also has a few of Paul Barden's rarities and a wonderful selection of Louis Lens' roses which are also hard to find.

He mentioned that according to his records Heirloom has not offered Wild Edric for more than ten years as it does not appear on their website or the printout of what they propagate that they send him for The Combined Rose List. Apparently, Austin never introduced it in this country because it was incompatible with the Dr Huey understock they use (this was before they were doing own-root roses). I know we all do our bit to support these smaller growers who specialize in hard to find roses, but I often worry that they will stop propagating so many if the demand isn't there.

Lisa Adams thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • katyajini
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thank you Lisa, uuhhh the white flower is an annual! I have too much to do now to grow annuals but I am going to try it from seed next spring. I will get my Louise Odier from RVR! But that does not mean they will send me the same clone as yours, right? Yours could be the best happy mix-up. But I could get the same! Do you think the pink of your plant is a little too dark for GH? Comice is very beautiful too. I thought that Comice was nearly identical to Deuil de Dr, Raynaud and so a very big plant but no its small. The color is lovely! Does it bloom a lot for you and very fragrant like all bourbons?

Thank you for sharing your garden! I feel I am right there next to you walking about learning from a friend. :)

I am glad you decided to get out and also connect with the forum.

• katyajini
    4 years ago

Thank you for the info about WE Vap! You are a gem. I really want that rose. I will contact FG. maybe I will want some of the others at another time....

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    4 years ago

Lisa, your post is wonderful and all the roses pictured are truly glorious. You are an inspiration and I love how others are wanting to grow the same roses that are found in your garden. Thank you for so kindly remembering me. I can "best" you in the humidity department: For at least three days in a row the humidity here was 1%! That's never happened before. The fire danger up here in the hills is acute since it's still in the mid eighties, and thankfully the one fire we had that was about a quarter of a mile from us was put out the same day due to the truly heroic efforts of the fire department.

What a pleasure to scroll back up and view your stunning roses. Cornelia and Baronne Prevost are especially lovely.

Lisa Adams thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for your kind words, Ingrid. I think of you and Cecil quite often, and was relieved when the news said that particular fire hadn’t taken down any homes. I’ve only shown the roses that are looking good after the weather conditions. I have plenty that aren’t fit for picture taking, but the ones that look good, look really good.

I’m very surprised at how well Baronne Prevost has bloomed in my warm climate. I didn’t really expect her to bloom off and on all summer long. She stays pretty clean due to the dry climate. Cornelia has become a huge monster of a rose, that is blocking access to others on the hill. Her blooms are lovely, now that she’s finally well established. She’s one I probably should have researched a little more before purchase. I had visions of Cornelia wrapped nicely around an umbrella obelisk. Well, the cockeyed umbrella obelisk still sits somewhere near Cornelia’s middle, and not a single cane remains wrapped around her. I never show pictures of the full plant, mainly because of the leaning obelisk in her middle. She’s growing in a fountain shape, and taking far more space than I had anticipated. I’m not quite sure what to do about her, and I keep ignoring the situation. I don’t really look forward to doing whatever it is that Cornelia needs. That slope is becoming more and more difficult to work on. She’s lovely, but not a rose that I’m overly attached to. How I wish I could do the “I dream of Jeannie” blink, and get things done!

Katya, I saw both Comice and Dr. R growing in someone’s garden (Cliff) who was downsizing, and giving away much of his vast collection. I had already chosen Comice, and my sons had her cut back and dug up. Cliff was SO kind and generous, he began offering me roses that weren’t on the list to be given away. I was tempted by Dr. R., but didn’t have the space. IIRC, Dr. R was a redder color than Comice. The fragrance was incredible. I reluctantly had to turn down many roses, due to lack of space. I think Comice will grow much larger. She’s only been here for 2 years, and she was cut down to almost nothing for transport. She has long canes that I need to attach to the fence. She’s larger than she looks in that picture. As it was, it took two days with two strong sons to bring home those roses. We had to leave a few behind, but that’s probably a good thing. My garden filled up at an alarming rate with those roses, but I received some wonderful, rare roses. Lisa

• gdinieontarioz5
    4 years ago

Lisa, a bouquet combining daffodils and roses. That is just crazy... I cannot imagine having both in the garden at the same time. Different worlds!

But I hope to touch your and Ingrid’s world with Wild Edric. I need a healthy, fragrant rose for the spot where my lovely Heritage used to be, and I think Edric might just be the ticket. Both you and Ingrid love it, and a rugosa should do fine here. I am only hoping that either Hortico or Palatine will offer it some time soon. Otherwise it may have to be another Fru. Which is no hardship either ;-).

Lisa Adams thanked gdinieontarioz5
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

Peter Schneider (Freedom Gardens) could root one for you. He's great!

Lisa Adams thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

What is Fru. I know I'll hit my head when you tell me! : ))

4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Dagmar Hastrup. I thought Fru was lovely in the cold climates too gd. Here, I think Wild Edric would look better and great for you too. Pale colors wash out here.

• gdinieontarioz5
    4 years ago

Sorry, Vaporvac, it was late, I was too lazy to type out the whole name. I have her in the front garden, and she is a beauty here. Nice fall foliage too.

Sheila, thanks for the tip. I wish I could, but that might be difficult, as I live in Canada. I am within driving distance of both Hortico and Palatine, and the former has had WE in the past, I think. I can ask them if there is a chance they will have it again.

Lisa Adams thanked gdinieontarioz5
  • mjkjrobinson
    4 years ago

I love your roses, are they fragrant?

Lisa Adams thanked mjkjrobinson
    4 years ago

Sheila, I don't believe Peter currently ships to Canada base on a post at garden.org. However, I think he may now ship in the Spring. His site originally stated shipment in the fall only, but it no longer says that AND someone on this forum said he was shipping them roses come spring. So perhaps with greater demand he's changing that policy. Let's hope so! : ))

• Kevin Parr
    3 years ago

I have both Louise Odier and Baronne Provost growing in November snow zone 4 happy as Mudlarks flowering until late December. Wild Erdric is a Rugusa rose bred with David Austins Eglantine .Not tried as yet but should come up to the mark we need here as hedging. I reside in Latvia northern near Baltic sea Sweden across from us. 6 acres English gardens hard won from farm pasture and built a house on it with my ex pat British nerve formed garden rooms and wide allees. Big metal gates and all one would expect to see of arts and craft styled design. Been a hard work job on my own. Then cant say how proud and happy I am I started against odds and made it work on my terms. It can with time only become better.

Lisa Adams thanked Kevin Parr
  • slumgullion in southern OR
    3 years ago

Lisa, Thanks for sharing such beautiful photos, and so much info! Your roses are just gorgeous. I'm curious about your plant tags - what kind of paper and ink are they printed on? Do they last well in the sun and rain?

Lisa Adams thanked slumgullion in southern OR
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

What a pleasant surprise to see this post pop up today. Keven, your garden sounds wonderful. Some of my roses are between flushes, and some had their green leaves (and blooms) ripped off of them by our recent 60mph winds. My fence came down in the process.

I wish I had made those tags, or at least knew how. I have some roses that were given to me by Cliff of the former Eurodessert rose nursery. He gave me those tags with each rose he gave me. It’s been years, but they’ve held up better than anything I’ve seen before.

It’s aged some, but still readable.

I just took a picture of this rose 2 days ago. It had one perfect bloom. Thankfully, I took a photo. Lisa

If you chick the picture below, you’ll better see the gorgeous petal arrangement of this rose. Our humidity was down under 15% on Tuesday. I could still smell this one, loud and clear.

3 years ago

Wow, interesting. Thanks! Sorry to hear about your fence!

• Kevin Parr
    3 years ago

Lisa Adams you are more than welcome. Garden design has long been my passion but had to retire form lawyer to start my dream here. My wife died some 12 years ago which made me want to get away from UK . She was my world. Thank you for your reply .Sir Kevin Parr Bt

3 years ago

Thank you Kevin for reviving this thread. Lisa, your Mel's is always a welcome sight. After reading through this and another thread with your Mel's and Annie, I've decided to try one or both, depending on what is available.

Kim thought Annie might be too tender for my climate, but, the times, they are a'changing! It's been a few years since this has been a real z5. I believe it is at least a 6a, maybe even 6b. I'm sure they wouldn't have survived my winters a few years back, but now I think they might. I won't know unless I try.

I hope your fence is back up and all is right with your world.

• susan9santabarbara
    3 years ago

I just happened to read through ALL 49 pages of the roses currently in stock at Rogue Valley Roses this afternoon, and they have Mel's listed as available.

Lisa Adams thanked susan9santabarbara
  • Kevin Parr
    3 years ago

David Austin jnr. Is obeying the virus law of lockdown again as law says he must .So can only ship worldwide again when signs of virsus leaving us. He ships to me bare root but stopped in early December saying take my more orders online until sure we can operate fully. So Canada will not ship to Europe a single Morden rose but all the world ships to Canada. Seems rather unfair to me. Morden Blush , John Davis and many more roses of Morden research station did I spend weeks on every nursery in Canada could I locate but no will not ship to Europe only Russia and America. Russia on sanctions by several Governments yet Canada breaks law by shipping live plants to Russia and admits it to me on email. My cousin was Canada first minister in 1954, Lord Charles Parr who would have had a fit if he knew what was going on now. Morden roses and made to survive zone 3 and having only one from England know how good they are. Lots of Parr family live in Canada so will now bring in big guns to sort this out as will move heaven and hell to get hold on Morden roses now

3 years ago

Kevin I admire your determination!!!

• Kevin Parr
    3 years ago

Thank you .To me the world is one peoples. We are all Gods children so will not accept that one nation can produce a rose that rest of cold north would love then say dont ship to Europe but will to Russia.? That to me is red flag to a bull .My mind says these are not right and so want to change it to the hands of all you wish to buy Morden roses that are designed to adorn a northern gardens as only rose that will stand the climate for the many who love gardening and live if zone 3 and cant enjoy the roses we can grown in zone 5. What Canada is doing is keeping its toys to itself and will not share with rest of family.Slap on the arse is best to cure that.

3 years ago

I do love Canada. The border will open when our crisis is over.

• Kevin Parr
    3 years ago

One hopes your right dear lady as it will be great to deal with Canada again

• Kevin Parr
    3 years ago

You are all so welcome .Great to think you are able to take my comments as helpful.

• Kevin Parr
    3 years ago

Being an Englishman I hardly know some of the mentioned roses here.French and British I have all information collected on but not heard of so many you have talked about in this forum. Must be good few more Canadian roes I must try ordering once the virus is dead

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    3 years ago

LISA -- we had some crazy winds here, too. @flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA -- I bought my Mel's as a band from Rogue Valley -- and I think Burling Leong said she will have some more in spring...I was just impatient and wanted to get a band going as soon as possible. It's now in a 3 gallon pot, but not doing anything yet. I know it's winter, but it's a Santa Barbara winter...so I thought I'd see something by now...

3 years ago

Thanks, Deborah. I was browsing and saw that, too. I'd better go ahead and make the order. It seems so early since I don't start gardening for about 5 months, but I don't want to risk them selling out. I'm hoping they restock Annie Laurie McDowell. Probably too tender for here, but I want to try.

I bet your Mel's is storing up for a big burst of growth and blooms this spring. Even in year round good weather, they seem to know when they're supposed to start new growth.

• Kevin Parr
    3 years ago

I would love to have Mels in my gardens but Im in Europe so how can I buy this rose and Morden explorer roses .Has any one any idea who will sell to me living in Europe Canadian roses. I have tried hard over last four years but still cant find a rose company that will ship to me. What happened to world trade for gardeners

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    3 years ago

@Kevin Parr - "World Trade" and "free markets" are for big business, government, and the privileged few only, much as laws and their enforcement are for the people opposite of that (you and I).

We must bear the responsibility of mistakes made by nurseries/people of the past.

If it weren't for them, we wouldn't have things like White Pine blister rust fungus, phloem necrosis, Dutch Elm disease, emerald ash borers, Japanese beetles, chilli thrips, citrus greening, zebra mussels, kudzu, Eurasian water foil, and so much more.

Did you know black currants are ILLEGAL without permission from the government where I live?
    So what do I do?
    Well- I've already gone off and collected a couple specimens of our native (Michigan) species black currant (which apparently, is illegal as well and efforts were actually made to eradicate it/make it extinct- gotta love the "intelligence" of those in "charge").
    I'll grow whatever fruit I want. ESPECIALLY if it's a bloody native species.
    My second option is to simply cross state line- I can go four miles, be in Indiana, buy the darn things and come back.

Did you know that here in my Great Lakes, we have the highest foreign invasive pest species levels of any freshwater system?

Honestly, it's so bad things may as well be a free-for-all because regulations NEVER happen until damage has been done, and by then it's much too late. I have virtually no respect for any governing authority because of things that actually happen versus the party line they give.

Life is short, humanity will destroy the planet unless we cease to exist because nothing we do benefits nature unless we're attempting to correct other problems we've made. It's an inevitability with our excessive numbers that continue to grow.

I try to distract myself with the beauty, awe, and miracles of horticulture because if it weren't for pleasures like these, there are minds that would collapse upon themselves if we were to dwell upon the truth.

Happy gardening, and good luck in your quest sir!

Steven

• Kevin Parr
    3 years ago

My noble friend we are similar in thought .Trust not in Governments read my blog on Government murder in England. sirkevinshistoricfacts.com on Wordpress will surely bring you to it. Life is short and if not careful laws will take even our gardens off us. We are run like rabbits into cages made by greedy politics and evil men and women who want power at any cost. Keep on gardening and what ever it costs love it as God know all their sins but no man can destroy this planet man is a weak link in nature and has tried with atomic bombs wars and moon shots to destroy the fabric of mankind to keep us down .In England we executed a King for treachery to his own people but what replaced him was 50 times worse later on and calls itself an elected Government .Once in can send us to war can jail us hang us and give is virus with no prove it exists . Once we are nailed down with failed business we are dog meat and will be what Governments need too busy existing to see what is going on around us G5 is radio active and kills more Im told by electical minded engineers who deal with power daily . I dont have all the answers Steven but you are right mankind is on its way out as it is civil war may sort all nations out but will God care.?

3 years ago

Thank you Paul.

3 years ago

Paul, thank you for the further support of why these regulations are in place.

In some instances, they don't always do what they need to, as we have recently had ANOTHER foreign invasive pest arrive in the Great Lakes- it's some kind of spined/barbed plankton they consumes the plankton left after things like zebra mussels filter out all they take that our fish need to survive and support the ecosystem.

May I inquire, Paul, what is your opinion regarding the regulations you're thankful for when said regulations target North American NATIVE species for eradication and extinction to attempt and protect an industry versus the more needed protection of what needs it?
    (I'm referring directly to the White Pine blister rust fungus and the Ribes species that were/are targeted. I understand the Federal Government gave up their futile and wildly wrong eradication efforts years ago.)

I understand things aren't perfect, but we can still work to correct the bad parts! It's bewildering to think we must ignore/accept those parts only because we don't like them.

Then again, I'm not one to accept things as "it is what it is, deal with it". If something is wrong, I have no problem defying it and voicing my opinion. My previous employer (optical) told me to lie to patients to boost sales. I flat out said I wouldn't be doing that.

Like my mother says- "... and then there's Steven. He does what he wants."

Thanks again Paul!

Steven

• monarda_gw
    3 years ago

The Eastern White Pine is a uniquely beautiful species -- -- so soft and feathery and distinctive, and with beautiful wood, too. There is nothing like it. It is a North American treasure. It would be tragic if it were to go the way of the Elm and Chestnut -- and the magnificent Hemlocks that are under threat, too.

I understand it cannot be grown in Europe and Asia because of the fungal diseases there. I would willingly forgo black currants if that would protect it. I have heard that red currants are not as much of a threat to it as was once thought, however.

• Alana8aSC
    3 years ago

I just ordered these from Amazon. I'm going to write on them with a tag pen. But I know there are other ways to do them. I don't have no other way though. But I'm guessing a label maker of some sort?

3 years ago

Or a paint pen if that's different from the oil-based pen.

• Alana8aSC
    3 years ago

I'm going to use a Alflex Tag pen marker. It's oil based, I believe. It's the longest lasting I have found.

3 years ago

Indeed, the hemlock wooly adelgid is a terrible evil.

Those tags look nice! I've considered getting some, but they'd be more for the infrequent guests than myself.

@Paul, how many references would you like that flat out state eradication efforts directed at black currants were part of federal and state efforts?

I can understand that it's something that wouldn't be as prominent knowledge in the west, but so much information is available to us, I most definitely don't appreciate your claim you "can't find anything to support" that and I seem to be detecting some attitude which is so unfortunate!

eradication- the complete destruction of something

From a nursery: http://www.twisted-tree.net/white-pine-blister-rust-and-ribes

From Missouri Department of Conservation: https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/field-guide/american-black-currant

UofMA: https://ag.umass.edu/landscape/fact-sheets/white-pine-blister-rust-ribes-species

http://landsteward.org/page.cfm/8886

There are plenty of references that cite the fact that state and federal government were involved in the planned eradication of ALL Ribes species in the east.

CANADA did not participate in the madness from what I've gathered.

Also, just in case these other facts are needed for an educated opinion:

1. Ribes are NATIVE to my area and if I wish to grow natives in the interests of the natural ecosystem because I want to, I will.
    2. White Pine are native, but NOT naturally occurring in my area but exist only as ornamental plantings (too far south).
    3. These efforts were more to protect an industry that brought this disaster than to protect the magnificent Pinus strobus itself.

This isn't about being "that guy" erroneously "railing" against anything in a self-idealized notion of what I've imagined.
    What you've done in my mind's eye currently is equal to telling someone they're directly responsible for a RRD infection happening because they planted a Knock Out despite feral R. multiflora all around (and it's not even responsible itself!) and that's tragic to me.

I'm sorry.

Steven

• Kevin Parr
    3 years ago

READING Paul Bardens comments I find an air of nastiness hidden behind his every statement. If im told by legally not to do something and I want it I will, is just one thing, now suggesting Steven is looking for a fight is sinister.

3 years ago

Anyone arguing with Paul or Kim (roseseek) is on the wrong track, Sir Kevin and Steven. Sorry.

• monarda_gw
    3 years ago

I was under the impression that the currant that was banned is Ribes nigrum, a Eurasian plant that used to be widely cultivated here. Not the native flowering one, which is not banned as far as I know. There were some flowering ones in the Brooklyn Botanic Garden at one time. But perhaps I am wrong.

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    3 years ago

This rose forum is incredibly fortunate to have two such expert rosarians as Kim (roseseek) and Paul here.

• monarda_gw
    3 years ago

++++ Indeed, Stephanie.