Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tryingtounderstand

Kitchen remodel process questions.

tryingtounderstand
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We just purchased a home built in 1985. It is a Lindal post and beam house. So apparently no interior load bearing walls (yay) It needs a kitchen remodel, with the goal of creating an open concept layout, hence taking down walls.

My question is, how many designers/contractors do we interview regarding this project. I am thinking 5-6, is there an industry norm on how many to interview.

This is a big project and want to do it right.

(We purchased the home at the right price, knowing it would need work.)

What questions should I be asking. Thank you

Comments (25)

• MizLizzie
    4 years ago

Much depends on where you live and what the economy is like. The last two remodels we did, both in busy building areas, you couldn’t find 5+ contractors to show up. It was grim. We finally landed two of the best, but in both cases, we had to wait a long time to get them.

tryingtounderstand thanked MizLizzie
  • live_wire_oak
    4 years ago

You only need 1 interview if you do your homework and pick the best qualified Kitchen Designers to talk to. You won’t be lost searching for apples to oranges cost comparisons from 17 different contractors who won’t even show up . You’ll be searching for ability, quality, and interpersonal compatibility. Their portfolios and past projects will be the points of discussion, not how to cut 40K off of a ”bid“.

You’ll already know that a home like that will require a structural engineer and above average expensive alterations. And you’ll know that the average mid range kitchen will be 60-80K tacked on to whatever those big structural costs will be. You’ll know that this is a 200K+ project, before you make a phone call, and you’ll accept that, and just try to find someone you can work with.

Finding the right designer will lead to the right contractor, who uses the right structural engineer. Find the right Kitchen Designer. Don’t ask for bids from contractors until you have actual design plans created. When it does get down to talking to 1-2 of your KD’s trusted partners, here’s how to be perceived as a serious and credible job prospect. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5332686/10-tests-for-you-and-your-contractor-s-first-meeting

https://www.remodeling.hw.net/cost-vs-value/2019/

tryingtounderstand thanked live_wire_oak
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

I started with calls for estimates from four local kitchen places; one was a kitchen design/cabinet shop, one was an Amish kitchen company, one was a large local custom cabinet maker, and one was a small custom cabinet maker. The Amish guy was sent pictures and measurements and was to email me a ballpark figure. After multiple attempts to contact him and his internet address no longer being good, I dropped him. Only one of the other three ever showed up or even called to tell me they were not coming.

Needless to say, I went with the local kitchen design/cabinet shop who actually showed up. I could not be happier.

tryingtounderstand thanked Anglophilia
  • Pam A
    4 years ago

Your home sounds AWESOME. I was lucky in that I knew the GC I would use, I had used him on 2 prior projects that were similar in size. I met with a kitchen designer and paid for a design, but at the end of the day I couldn't use her. Despite all of our discussions on budget, she couldn't meet our cabinet budget (blew past it by 2x, and yes we did talk money up front). So ... we wound up buying cabinets from a local cabinet maker for under our budget (in quarter sawn oak). All in, we redid a kitchen, first floor bathroom, mudroom, and added two steel beams for about $115k. Cabinets were fully upgraded (soft close hinges and slides, plywood boxes, solid wood doors, frameless) and counters were quartzite. Flooring is where we saved a ton, we needed LVP and it happened to be inexpensive.

I would start by thinking about what is super important vs. what is icing on the cake. And look at what you can afford. A great layout leads to great utility which leads to loving your kitchen (even if you have to go with laminate counters or can't swing the hardware you wanted. Start collecting pics of what you love and what you want to avoid (in two piles, lol). Walk thru a granite yard or two if you want granite counters - find your inspiration.

Talk to some kitchen designers - we should have talked to more and asked to see examples of kitchens they had done in our price range. If I had pushed and said, "No, really, show me a kitchen with a $40k cabinet budget" I could have saved myself SO much time on the first designer. The KD should help you with the functional and visual aspects of the kitchen design.

Ask locally for recommendations on kitchen contractors. Sometimes a kitchen designer knows someone, but sometimes not. It takes a long time before they start demo, and then it all moves so fast. Good luck!

tryingtounderstand thanked Pam A
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    4 years ago

One suggestion often made here for kitchen renos -- live in the house and use the kitchen for at least six months, preferably a year, and get to know well what works and what doesn't, while you plan your remodel. You'll have a much better idea of what needs to be done, which will help you explain the job to the designers and contractors you speak with.

tryingtounderstand thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • Aglitter
    4 years ago

There is an active Houzz thread right now where a homeowner had a completely disastrous remodel experience, and this person shares in detail what went wrong about the selection process for the contractor and subsequent monitoring of the work. There is much to be learned about precautions to take throughout the selection and building process from reading through this post and the successive comments: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5834619/thoughts-on-a-bad-contractor-and-a-bad-experience

tryingtounderstand thanked Aglitter
  • tryingtounderstand
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Aglitter Thank you for the link. This is exactly, what I hope to avoid. I feel so badly for these folk And anyone else caught in such situations.

@Becky, good advice. However, this kitchen is beyond dysfunctional. I.e. no hood vent for the stove top, I will attach pics below.

@anglo always love your thoughts and love your kitchen. @Pam, thsnk you for the compliment and great advice. @live wire, hopefully not 200k, there are only 2 walls to be removed and I believe not supporting. yes, I am doing my homework (:! @MizLizzie I hear what you and Anglo are saying about pros ditching customers. ):

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    4 years ago

The internet is a great tool for pre-screening designers and contractors. If you use it effectively, you shouldn't need to interview more than three. If you feel you need to interview more than three, consider the message you're sending. For designers and contractors, a 1 in 3 chance of landing a job is better than a 1 in 5 chance.

tryingtounderstand thanked Charles Ross Homes
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

When I found out you were shopping 5 contractors for this project, and I would in our first phone call, it would be our last.

tryingtounderstand thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • Seabornman
    4 years ago

I contacted 5 contractors for our addition, had 4 show up, had 2 who then wouldn't return my calls, 1 who wasn't interested, and 1 who actually looked at the drawings and gave me a reasonable number. Hired!

tryingtounderstand thanked Seabornman
  • jane__ny
    4 years ago

I'm in a similar situation. We need our kitchen redone, we need walls moved and removed. We live in Florida and have no idea where to begin. Kitchen designers??? Where do I find them? I don't want designers connected to cabinet places or contractors.

We had a contractor 6 yrs ago who was recommended to build us a laundry room from part of our garage. He did a wonderful job, his subs were top notch and he was honest and diligent. I want to use him for the kitchen.

I am trying to find a designer to reconfigure our old kitchen. I would be happy to pay just for their design but don't want to involve their connections.

I need to know if we need an architect because this work involves walls and reconfiguring a bathroom off the kitchen.

I'm not sure how to proceed or where to begin finding these people.

Jane

tryingtounderstand thanked jane__ny
  • Aglitter
    4 years ago

@jane__ny I believe you would want to consult a structural engineer for changes to walls. Also be aware that this level of work is going to be quite expensive. Some people, after getting quotes for structural changes, have scaled back to figuring out how to re-design within the existing structure. Others have even chosen to move to a house more suited to their needs rather than get into that level of remodeling. It would be a good idea to keep an open mind going into the process about different ways to achieve the functionality you are seeking.

tryingtounderstand thanked Aglitter
  • tryingtounderstand
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Quick update, one of many more to follow. In my area, there are a few cabinet makers who manufacture their own cabinets. These companies are generally family owned, and mostly local to the area. They are able to produce, exactly what is needed for the kitchen remodel. They also, have their own kitchen designers.

• live_wire_oak
    4 years ago

Buyer beware on both those “kitchen designers” and “local custom”. Neither is a synonym for quality, or a good result. Often those are the worst products, from the least knowledgeable people.

tryingtounderstand thanked live_wire_oak
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

" I would be happy to pay just for their design but don't want to involve their connections."

So you're turning away the most valuable thing they bring to the deal.

A designer has had several subs blow up in her face, has finally found some reliable ones, and you want to start where she started?

• roccouple
    4 years ago

Ask everyone you know for a recommendation. Word of mouth is best. if No personal recommendations find a lender who financed remodels and ask them. Then get an estimate from 1 or 2.

tryingtounderstand thanked roccouple
  • tryingtounderstand
    Original Author
    4 years ago

above Advice, well taken and will be considered. @livewire, not necessarily in this case. Long well established (30+ years) and with excellent reputation. https://www.ottawavalleykitchens.ca/index.php

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    4 years ago

I am trying to find a designer to reconfigure our old kitchen.

jane, this is something the good and talented people, amateurs and professionals, at the Kitchen forum have been very helpful with over the years. Start a new post over there with your situation and a measured layout, and go from there. And read this too,

"New to Kitchens? Read Me First!" (Kitchen forum help request FAQ)

While the FAQ thread has a lot of useful information in the first few posts, that information is not visible b/c this thread has more than 50 comments (an issue with Houzz). If you're using the App, I"m told you cannot get to those comments. So, please use a browser on whatever device you use. Then, select/click on the "See xxx more comments" repeatedly until you get to the first comments.

Also, Houzz no longer recognizes the old GardenWeb URLs that do not use "https". This includes many of the threads in the Read Me thread and the FAQs. To find the equivalent Houzz URL, search using the message # and title as it appears in the old URL -- use a Google or similar search engine, not a Houzz search.

tryingtounderstand thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • tryingtounderstand
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@livewire, thank you so much. (: You are totally correct, how does one know whst one doesn’t know? clearlly, I don’t have professional experience and knowledge, nor do I have an eye to gauge quality workmanship. But with the help of this community and yourself, I am learning and will continue to learn,

this is a huge expenditure and a big project, can’t afford to muck it up. @ livewire, can you list production questions, or where can I find them, there are a few local companies who make their own cabinets. Some are very small while others are quite large.

• tryingtounderstand
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Quick update, met with 2 pros. Thus far. First guy, presented as a kitchen remodeller, contractor and designer. Showed up 20 min late, albeit he called me 2 minutes before scheduled time to advise he is on his way. Nice and polite though, turns out he is a civil engineer, started his own business. Sheesh!!

Guy no 2, turns out to be a draftsman, who was just going to draw out what I suggested. Further, he suggested to put stove in island...NO! You don’t wanr to know his fees either. Lol

Yes, their websites clearly indicated kitchen design. And the first guy was recommended.

Let’s see what tomorrow brings!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

"Often, designs that are strongly client driven do end up with design issues in order to satisfy client requests."

And this shows a lack of experience on the part of the KD. You have to have the guts to tell clients "No." occasionally and save them from themselves.

Sure, the client is writing the checks, but it's my job. I'm never going to worry about any job of mine posted anywhere on the interwebby. Any pro with any brains will do the same.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    4 years ago

Our company has been designing, building, and remodeling homes for 37 years. We consider the word "custom" to mean designed to meet a client's unique needs, preferences, and budget.

A designer can offer a variety of alternatives and recommendations based on their experience, professional judgement, best practices, and local market norms, but ultimately, it is the client who makes the decision and and pays the bill. That's how it works in the real world. That's why "custom" designs typically include some idiosyncrasies. Unless there is an issue of safety or failure to meet code requirements, if we are unable to convince our client otherwise, we yield to their wishes. If that means we lack brains, you can catalog us in that category along with kitchen designers who do the same.

tryingtounderstand thanked Charles Ross Homes
  • gabbythecat
    4 years ago

We only interviewed *1* contractor. This was for a whole house remodel/addition - including the kitchen overhaul. We called several contractors; they told us to call them back after when we had completed drawings for the project. This contractor ("GC") asked to be present at our first meeting with the designer. This first meeting with the designer took place during the house inspection (we were in the process of buying the house); GC attended that meeting. He arrived on time, gave advice about the project; he acted like we had already signed the contract with him, even though we had just met.

Shortly after we had the drawings, GC asked to do a walk through with his subcontractors. He brought them out, handed them their sets of plans (that he had printed for them), and discussed the entire project - again, acting like he had already signed the contract with us (he hadn't). A short time later he stopped at the lumber yard and brought us a borrowed set of siding samples to help us make a decision about which siding to use.

I know that the "rule" is that you should get bids from at least 3 contractors for any project, but GC has a great reputation, and although we did trim a few things from his bid, we think he is being fair. We aren't builders (although we have some knowledge of the process; my husband is an engineer), so we couldn't completely evaluate an estimate. And - GC has been an integral part of this project from the very beginning, effectively edging out any other contractors (in a nice way). Frankly, I admire his technique! I think he'll do a good job.

We still haven't signed a contract with GC - expect to do that this week. Which is a good thing, since he has been busy getting his subcontractors in place - we need to make the deal official before he actually starts work. :-)

Short answer: I don't think multiple bids are necessary. Ask around. If the contractor has a great reputation and if you are comfortable with him, that may be enough.

tryingtounderstand thanked gabbythecat
  • PRO
    Morningstar Stone & Tile
    4 years ago

Some excellent advice in the comments. I would add that one of the most important areas is all the work you do before contacting any professional. We call it the path to purchase. Review web sites of tradespeople you are interested in, check out Better Business Bureau for any adverse claims. Spend time on Angie's List, Home Advisor and Yelp (to name a few) for client reviews. To expect five professionals to submit quotes when your ready is setting yourself up for frustration (Joseph's Corlett's comments are accurate in that when someone hears you are getting five quotes, some will not bother to work up a quote). Additional, you're hiring a professional who has (or should have) strong working relationships with quality subcontractors and manufacturers. These subs want to do an excellent job so they can secure future business. Also, a reputable contractor, kitchen designer, or architect will let you know when a design choice doesn't make sense. One of the reasons you are hiring them is for their years of expertise. With our business (founded in 1986), there is nothing we have not seen or experienced before. So we are confident in steering our clients down the right path. Best of luck with your project and have fun with it

tryingtounderstand thanked Morningstar Stone & Tile