Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anja_pozni_

Should I give up on my Calathea Crocata?

Anja Poznič
4 years ago

I bought my first Calathea in the summer, and since then it has been slowly withering away.

I probably messed up in many ways (I'm sure my cats nibbling on it at the beginning didn't help), but lately I assumed it could as well be my tap water problem, which is very hard. I was watering it with tap water (that I let sit for 24 hrs). Rain water can be a problem to come by due to drought, would it be preferable to water it with distilled or bottled water, water that has previously been boiled?

It looks almost pathetic now, but what gives me hope is it continues sprouting new leaves, they grow until they are a couple cm tall, then they start to brown and die.

I water it when the top of the soil is dry(ish), but never let it completely dry out, during winter approximately once every 2 weeks, mist it occasionally. I had it in the bathroom during winter to help with moisture levels, on south facing window, about 2m away. It received a bit of direct sunlight, but the winter sun isn't so strong here. I tried putting it further away before and the leaves started to brown even quicker.
Should I cut the dead stems away? Should I try repotting it into a smaller container, since this one is now way too big for what is left of it?

I almost gave up on it, but it gives me no satisfaction to buy a new one without knowing what I did wrong with this one.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Comments (4)

• Anja Poznič
    Original Author
    4 years ago

A photo for a better idea.

• hc mcdole
    4 years ago

Yes, do cut off the dead stems - they aren't helping the plant at all and they are a major distraction for you every tie you look at it.

I don't have this Calathea but the ones I do have are often so ugly in winter (I move them outdoors for summer) that I cut all the leaves off and let them sprout new ones. I barely water them with the leaves off so the roots/tubers don't rot.

Here are 3 photos of one of my oldest Calathea (at least 18 years old in the same pot and same soil other than topping off) this winter. I normally don't take photos of bare pots and growing tips (kind of boring and ugly) but for documentation purposes only.

Jan 29

Feb 27

Mar 9

end of August last year

Don't give up on it. Do cut back on watering until it starts responding in a positive manner. Give it some light (I put mine under T8 lights for 12 hours a day in winter).

• Mike the Fiddle Leaf Fig Guy
    4 years ago

Try putting it inside a coke bottle. Like a 2L one.

Anja Poznič thanked Mike the Fiddle Leaf Fig Guy
  • Anja Poznič
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much for your suggestions and your documentation photos are very encouraging! None of the many "how to care" articles mention the sad state these plants look like in winter, so I had no idea this was a thing.

I cut of the dead stems and it already looks more promising. I am still worried about the browning leaves that have inevitably happened under my care - although it's possible, from your response, that I have been overwatering it. I'll look into the t8 light.

Would surrounding it with plastic fix the possible issue of humidity, or the sun burning the leaves?

• hc mcdole
    4 years ago

I wouldn't worry about humidity unless you are in the desert. If the sun is burning the leaves then you need to move it a few inches away (I assume you are talking about having it near a window). In summer I place mine near shade trees or shrubs to protect it from the hot midday sun.

I got tired of the ugly leaves so started cutting off just the worst of them and last year I cut them all off and the plant sent up all new foliage so I did the same thing this year. Most plants will regenerate as a means of survival mechanism in the wild. Now they are indoors and are pampered to death. Sometimes a little harsh treatment may be the best thing?

Pretty ugly back in 2005 when it got frost damage.

Let yours dry out some and watch for new growth. Careful watering during the winter months should help out a lot.

Anja Poznič thanked hc mcdole
Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022