Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_dzierwa

Help my 1960's Ranch get some street cred! (exterior remodel)

Kristin Dzierwa
4 years ago

This is our first house, and we originally had grand plans for updating our exterior, but we are short on funds due to interior remodeling.

So we need ideas for a short term fix (i.e. paint, landscaping) - and then a long-term fix (new garage door - painting the brick?). The biggest concerns we have include the ugly metal poles and how prominent our garage door looks. please help :)

Comments (18)

• flopsycat1
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

New landscaping definitely. I’d also paint the garage door ( and the downspouts ) the color of the window trim so that it recedes. Paint the front door a color that increases its presence. MCM house numbers. Maybe beef up the porch supports If you hate them? Nice house! I’m sure you’ll get helpful suggestions on this site.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

you can wrap the poles in wood. Do not paint this house. Look up mid-mod houses on google for ideas.

• houssaon
    4 years ago

Really cute MCM! I like the idea of painting the garage doors to match the window trim, if you can. A modern wood door would look good. But the biggest bang is in the landscaping, which you have a good start on with the existing plants.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

Easier inexpensive way for short term is painting. I would go with mid century modern style with charcoal/bronze trim, wooden door

• Sigrid
    4 years ago

It's a cute house, but that beige is doing it no favors. Windows across the second plank of the garage door would do wonders for it, along with a darker color. The house has a very simple form, typical of mid mod. That means the multi-colored brick plays an important role. You might find painting it will make the house look like a box. The poles are a mid mod decorative element, too. I like them. If you don't, put some trellis between the metal poles and grow a climber up them. If it's a shady spot, which is probably is, there's a shade-loving, climbing hydrangea.

But, really, it's a classy little house and learning to love Mid Mod and your house is probably a better bet than removing some of those elements.

It's hard to comment on your landscaping in March, when nothing is green.

• flopsycat1
    4 years ago

Celerygirl’s rendering looks great! Is a new door in the budget?

• fissfiss
    4 years ago

If you have a good plant nursery near you, take them a scale drawing and some pictures...for a minimal charge, you can get a planting plan. I’m not a huge fan of clipped shrubs...there are lots of evergreen shrubs out there that are bred to stay small. They tend to be more expensive up front, but lower maintenance long term.

• housegal200
    4 years ago

celerygirl has given you a great roadmap. I hope you never paint the brick, but definitely match the garage door color to the window trim for now with a brightly painted front door in an MCM color--turquoise, orange. And, yes, wrap the poles in cedar. And get a small nursery to help you deal with celerygirl's landscaping.

• Kristin Dzierwa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for all of these wonderful ideas! The trim of our windows is currently a beige color that matches the actual window (and then the garage is a more yellow beige that is similar in color but also lighter). Would I paint the window and the trim, or just the trim? I assume I should do it throughout the rest of the house as well?

• flopsycat1
    4 years ago

I think that just painting the garage door and downspout the color of the window trim would make the garage less prominent. Leave the window as is. Most cost and labor saving. Or paint it all a darker color as per celery’s rendering. Great house. So much you can do on a limited budget.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Go with facade first, then you will see.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Go with this as inspiration for landscaping and work toward this over a couple of years. Get a great garage door and I like them matched to the front door the post are easy to have clad . Do not paint the brick it is a nice neutral and can be easily worked with

Kristin Dzierwa thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • richfield95
    4 years ago

I like the darker color celerygirl has in the first mock-up, but your beige trim color is nice too. Which ever you choose, can you paint the gutters too? They look white.

I also wanted to say that your house is really cute. I’m not sure what you were thinking of with your “grand plan”, but I think the few tweaks that celerygirl suggested ally enhance your house without doing any massive changes

• PRO
    4 years ago

Wow! What a great modern landscape Patricia found!

Kristin Dzierwa thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • suezbell
    4 years ago

Really nice house and yard.

Agree ... don't paint the brick; do wrap the porch post and do darken the garage door (if painted, it should be one of the darker colors in the brick. If it is in your budget to replace the garage door and front door w/wood MCM doors, do.

You might also consider a short wood privacy fence in the same wood finish on each side of the house set in a straight line with the front exterior wall with a gate for access to the back yard on at least one side.

You might want to paint the downspouts so they better blend with the most dominant color in the brick.

Don't clutter the house attaching a lot of trim without actual useful purpose.

Don't clutter the wide open spaces of the front yard. Instead, create a hedge beneath the windows on the left side and trim the tops in a straight horizontal line beneath the window sills. Outline the planting area for these with pavers with their tops at ground level to make mowing beside them easier.

You could leave the row of shrubs alongside the driveway and add a sidewalk straight forward from your porch alongside the shrubs (on the side opposite the shrubs), thus creating an outlined planting area for the shrubs.

Unless you truly like doing detailed yard work in the summer heat and winter cold -- or paying someone else to do it -- then primarily focus on creating the most healthy lawn possible rather than adding a lot of other planting areas to be tended.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Here is charcoal with your existing brick.

Kristin Dzierwa thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

The starting point for me would be to widen the walk and landing, and then remove all of the planting bed along the drive and in front of the walk, replacing it with lawn. Even the drive could be widened. The whole picture will not look good until the grass has a nice, rich green, weed-free complexion. I'd paint the trim white and consider painting the porch interior walls the same in order to lighten the entrance up. It's a lot less inviting, and somewhat gloomy, when it's dark. A small tree off of one or both house corners would make the house look protected and better integrated into its surroundings. If you could add a window panel to the garage doors, the would give it an upgraded look.

A tree, or more, might could be added out closer to the street, but we don't have that broad view at our disposal in order to make a judgment.