Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
n2hostas

Thank you, Hosta Forum!

I am working at home and wait for it... answering phone calls about unemployment.

I usually help people get jobs by discussing interview skills, writing resumes and talking about local job opportunities. A state agency handles unemployment but sends job seekers to my state agency. However since we work directly with the public, the public looks to us for answers.

So I am getting the calls wondering how to file and WHERE IS MY CHECK!

I feel the pain.

How to I relieve my stress? ... I look at gardens.

In winter when I have anxiety, I look at pictures and think. Sometimes I try to name the plants I see, or pick out the details that make that garden look so beautiful to me.

In the better times, (growing seasons) I look at my garden. Weed and plan.

Today at lunch, I wandered checking on the pips. (Wu La La, no pips yet.) I have determined a front yard garden needs hosta in it. Three mediums will do.

So I am checking this forum frequently and delight when there is something new.

Thank you for helping me in this time of stress. You are here in the good times and the bad times.

Comments (16)

• bkay2000
    4 years ago

I don't envy you your job right now. It's a tough one.

Think about all the lovely hosta that will be filling out soon.

bkay

n2hostas (Kansas) thanked bkay2000
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Nw, I do feel for you right now. What an awful job to have at this moment in time.....it’s a helpless time for so many people. I am happy you find relief from stress, by looking at gardens and pictures in the Library. Make sure to check in with us everyday for pips, flowers and everything else! 🙏🏽

n2hostas (Kansas) thanked djacob Z6a SE WI
  • popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    4 years ago

There are some really nice hosta tour videos on youtube as well. Youtube, pinterest, and houzz have helped to keep my spirits up. I love my plants.

n2hostas (Kansas) thanked popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

n2hostas..you're knee deep in the problems created by the pandemic..I'm glad you found a way to escape from the stress of your job..

aren't we blessed to have a garden?..weeks at home but the day goes by because I have sunshine..fresh air..space to stroll around..and garden activities to stay busy and active..

we're so excited to see our hosta again..the barely there pip makes us happy..my state of mind would be so much worse without my plants..

n2hostas (Kansas) thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • frankielynnsie
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I also escape into others posts in between working in my yard, I can only go 30 mins at a time then must lay down for an hour due to a 'not perfect outcome' from spinal surgery. My wish is we would have more posts to read. They encourage and inspire me.

n2hostas (Kansas) thanked frankielynnsie
    4 years ago

frankielynnsie..I'm sorry to hear about your spinal problems..I hope you improve..I wish the same thing..more activity more posts..the change to Houzz hasn't helped..

• frankielynnsie
    4 years ago

It has been 2 years and this is my new normal. I don't let it stop me. It was 8 mins up/1 hour flat 2 months after the surgery and I have built up to 30 mins. I would go out and lay 8 bricks in my bed line border in those 8 mins and I got around the bed line in a week and felt a sense of accomplishment. My husband would rough out the little ditch for the bricks and I would level them out and fill around them. I can go 90 to nothing for those 30 mins and my husband says he is a little glad I have to take a break since he gets one too.

n2hostas (Kansas) thanked frankielynnsie
    4 years ago

we've been married 45 years..we're so slow compared to years ago..it is what it is..I wouldn't be able to do what we've done here if I started now..hang in there..🙂

• Esther-B, Zone 7a
    4 years ago

My 38 hostas on my balcony help to keep me sane, especially since I had a personal tragedy last week. Saturday, I found my beloved Maine Coon cat dead on my couch, still in the same sleeping position I left her in around midnight Friday night. She was a month shy of 12, and the vet found absolutely NOTHING in the post mortem which could have been a COD. He surmises it was something like an aneurysm. She went very peacefully, just curling up next to me to sleep on the couch and never waking up. It's a nightmare of grief for me, and going out on the balcony to tend my hostas and heuchies is keeping me sane.

Add to this the COVID isolation, and the balcony is the place to be. Not only can I monitor the growth of my beautiful hostas, but I can greet my fellow residents using the courtyard sidewalk to get some exercise. My other cat, little Zizu, enjoys coming out on the balcony with me and is getting her own fan club among the other residents.

I have already started my search for a tortie and white Maine Coon kitten, as that is a very rare color for the breed and it could take months to find my new baby.

Tomorrow, it's supposed to be violent windy weather and t-storms, but if I can bring it off, I'll try to take new pics of my hostas. They are almost all unfurled now; only a few are still at the pip stage. Appletini is already magnificent, as is Dinner Mint. Since about 8-9 lost their I.D. tags during my move, perhaps some kind person here can help me I.D. my NOIDs. A couple of them have gotten big enough that I can see they are offshoots of my known hostas, but some of them are anyone's guess. I will post the list of the hostas I have on the balcony to narrow down the NOIDs. Thanks in advance.

n2hostas (Kansas) thanked Esther-B, Zone 7a
  • n2hostas (Kansas)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry about your kitty, we are truly grateful for our kitties in our house. May you fall in love with another kitten. I glad you have ZiZu and the hosta balcony.

4 years ago

Esther..I'm sorry about your cat too..my nephew just lost his 10 yr old Rottweiler..my nephew took him out one morning..they came back into the kitchen..the dog laid down and that was it..my nephew was happy that he was home when it happened and that it was fast and peaceful..your experience was similar..I'm glad you have your hostas and your other cat to help with your grief..

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    4 years ago

n2hostas, I agree you have a stressful job at this time. I feel for you. And frankielynnsie, your perseverance is commendable! I am glad you both enjoy the hosta forum. I, too, would like more activity, but perhaps more activity will come as the gardens come alive.

Esther, my best friend has had many cats in her life. I believe her cat now is a Maine Coon and she says it is the best cat she has ever had. I am sorry for the loss of yours. I remember reading an article in the newspaper. It is a first person narrative where people write in about their own experience on just about any topic. This article was written by a woman who lost her cat. She writes about how it felt and how she dealt with her grief. I am providing a link to the article in case you are interested in reading it.

I had to give myself permission to mourn my cat

n2hostas (Kansas) thanked newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
  • undertheoaksgardener7b
    4 years ago

I am sorry for your loss, Esther. I try to remind myself that we have a mutual relationship with our pets, that we give/take from each other. It sounds like your Maine Coon had gratefully accepted the last loving cuddle last week as the last thing she needed to complete her life's journey. She left life in her favorite moment. Peace.

n2hostas (Kansas) thanked undertheoaksgardener7b
  • Karin Black Cat
    4 years ago

n2hostas, I can understand what you are going through. I'm working in wholesale and have people on the phone all day long who live in fear of loosing their existence. All non vital shops are closed in Germany and many will stay closed after this crises.

Esther, I'm so sorry for your loss. I remember the days when I lost my Mietze after 19 years. I cried all day long. But it is good that she went peacefully...and it's good that you are already looking for a kitten that will bring back joy...

As for all of you my garden is my island in these troubled days.

n2hostas (Kansas) thanked Karin Black Cat
  • sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    4 years ago

frankielynnsie, your tenacity is inspiring!

Esther, so sorry to hear about the loss of your Maine Coon cat. Sad that she didn't have more time, but she was well taken care of while she was here. At least she went peacefully. Good luck on finding a new friend for you and Zizu. I hope it will ease the pain of your loss and bring some happiness for you and some lucky new kitty.

n2hostas (Kansas) thanked sandyslopes z6 n. UT
Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio