Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankielynnsie

What to do for Failure to Thrive Hosta

frankielynnsie
4 years ago

When you have a hosta that is declining or one that is not getting any bigger what do you do with it to help it succeed? Do you dig them up and put them in a pot for some TLC? What would you include in the TLC?

Comments (8)

• frankielynnsie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I dug them and some seedlings up and put them in post of miracle grow garden soil. I will keep them in the sunroom this summer so the slugs won't eat them. Maybe by next year they will look better.

I also dug up some sported bits and put them in pots. One of the odd bits didn't have many roots so I put him in water and am hoping he will make more roots. He is 2 shades of green like the original with a little white on the edge--I hope he makes it.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Give it away? Put it where you won’t notice it declining? I have Tropical Storm...it was a tissue culture failure I think...it has been limping along for years and years... I keep hoping it will sport a healthy eye, but so far nothing.

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    4 years ago

In my experience it's a gamble.

I always dig them out, inspect the roots, clean and give them a soak in a 10% bleach solution.

Repot in a good potting mix in the smallest pot I can get away with.

Here in the UK it then goes into the greenhouse under the bench where it is well shaded.

After that it's in the lap of the gods.

I've had some succeed and others fail.

Sometimes you just get a tc struggler.

Get another and try again.

Move on and try something new, there's so many to choose from.

Dave

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

in post [sic: pots?] of miracle grow garden soil. I will keep them in the sun room this summer

==>>

many peeps in the forums do not like miraclegrow potting media ... you can probably do better ...

they are not houseplants ... i dont know what your sun room is.. some very large growers line them out in full sun... in mother earth ... and they multiply and grow like rabbits.. but the growers dont care if they burn up and look ugly.. all they want is the extra growth ...

didnt you talk of planting rogue seedlings free range ...???

hosta take 2 to 7 years to mature ... and with seedlings of unknown history.. you are left to the fates as to how long it will take ...

im wondering about your failure being attached to some level of instant expectation ...

someone above mentioned sprinkling bare roots with hormones... never heard to that before ... but i do recommend the driveway ...

ken

• frankielynnsie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ken--I garden in pure red clay so miracle grow garden soil is my go to soil helper. It use to be nature's helper that I could get by the truck bed load but it isn't available anymore except in bags. I mix the garden soil with clay in every hole I dig and several bags get mixed into any new beds I make. I keep it on hand and it gets used for everything.

I have watched this clump go from getting real big, maybe 2 ft in size to dwindling to 2 sprouts this year over the last 10 years and it is in the oldest hosta bed in front of the porch so it gets lots of attention and routine watering. I don't know what its problem was but I have a new plant in its place now so I will see how it does over the next few years.

I am patient. My problem is I hate to kill anything so if it takes root, comes up from seed or what ever I dig it up and put it in a pot until I can find a place for it. I am trying to let some things die but it is hard. I have a few day lilies that I just don't like and I am going to get rid of them this year. I tried last year but didn't make myself pull them out and toss them. I am planning on putting them in a box at the end of our 1 lane gravel road with a sign for free day lilies....Maybe someone will help me out.

• bkay2000
    4 years ago

I have a hosta like that. It's a Blue Angel. It's had anthracnose for years (it even survived the root rot problem that killed 90% of my hosta). It's the only hosta I've ever had that has had anthracnose. I still haven't tossed that plant. It's hard to toss anything, even if it's diseased, if it's not contagious.

bk

• zkathy z7a NC
    4 years ago

Take a good sniff of the roots. An unpleasant odor can let you know where the problem is.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional