Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junebugbrit

Interior design of rectangular family room

Brittany Hammond
4 years ago

We just bought this house and now I'm trying to figure out how in the heck we're going to configure space in the family room. The room is 12'x15' and has an open layout that leads into kitchen. I'm thinking about experimenting with not having furniture right up against walls as I have in the past. I don't know where we'd put the TV - I really don't like the look of a TV over the fireplace. I'd also love tips on how to enhance the unique cathedral ceiling which is something I love about this room. Help! Newbie here.

Comments (6)

• latifolia
    4 years ago

Congratulations on your new home. It may help if you provide more information: how many people in your family; what furniture do you currently own; are you considering new furniture? Do you have a spectacular view?

One possible layout is a couch facing the fireplace, with a chair on each side. Put the TV to one side of the fireplace on a console type table, or hang it on the wall.

On the other hand, if you have a sea, lake or mountain view, then you may prefer for that to be your focus.

Not a big fan of the grey on that wall. It doesn't work well with the floor, in my opinion. Others will have excellent suggestions on color, I'm sure.

• Brittany Hammond
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! The view is of our backyard. Nothing too spectacular but some nice greenery is back there. We are going to be merging our belongings so the furniture part is a bit trickier. I have a couch we'll definitely keep. We still need to buy a TV. He has a coffee table and some side tables that are really not my style so we will see if we keep that. I really like the idea of buying 2 chairs to accent on one or either side and then putting the TV in the corner. Good idea!

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

you have a lovely open space to work with. i would take advantage of that gorgeous window and place the sofa facing out the window. sofa should be placed away from the back wall and still create a seating grouping in the middle of the room. agree with the idea of putting console table flanking fireplace and put tv on the console to the right of the fireplace so you can see it from the couch. place chairs across from the couch in front of window at angle and perhaps another chair or two facing fireplace. idea below. dont need to have built ins, just showing furniture placement idea. could place some art behind sofa, perhaps one huge statement piece of art. would love to see the pieces you have to work with too, if you get a chance to share. may change concept, depending on scale of pieces.

Bettendorf, Iowa - Jennifer Home (by Windmiller Design) · More Info

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

I agree with putting the TV on the right with a console under it. Then add a matching console to the other side with art over it. Couch on the left wall with a sofa table behind it and two lamps. One or two smaller scale chairs facing the fireplace and a third in front of the windows with a small accent table beside it. The t.v. can go on a swivel mount for better viewing. Then an area rug to pull everything together.

• Brittany Hammond
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I can't believe all the help!! Thank you so much. I think you all are right on the money. I'll post pictures once we move in and take your advice! Thank you again!