Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Do sweet peppers do well in pots?

I got some from from a plant swap. Supposed to be sweet peppers but not bell peppers.

I also got a "Habanera" which is supposed to look like a hot pepper but be sweet. I have very little full sun except on my deck. So they would get more sun if potted versus grown in the ground.

Thanks.

Comments (10)

• rdback
    3 years ago

Sure, lots of folks grow peppers in pots. Although you can use a smaller pot, I recommend using a 5 gallon or larger. Also, use a good, well-draining potting mix. 6-8 hours of full sun is fine. Enjoy your peppers!

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked rdback
  • zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    3 years ago

Agreed. Peppers can do really well in pots, provided that the soil is fertile & the pot is large enough... the larger the better. Eggplant do really well in large pots too.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

That cultivar name is 'Habanero' and it's a HOT pepper! Very hot!! Right up there with the Scotch Bonnet.

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    3 years ago

Could be this one ... supposedly sweet version of habanero ...https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/peppers/pepper-sweet-habanero-habanada-prod500129.html

Anyways, I haven't grown this specific one, but I grow all my peppers in pots, and they do quite well. If the plant will be large, like Nikita, we select a large pot/planter (around 5-6 gallon), but for smaller plants, such as lunchbox, we go a bit smaller (11" or 12" pot), so they can sit on the stairs and then come inside at the end of the season. They obviously prefer outside, but we have some that keep producing throughout winter and go back out the next year.

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yep, a "Habanada" looks and tastes like a Habanero, except it's NOT HOT. You know, "haba-nada". I suspect this is what the OP is referring to. I just learned that. Might try them. I believe they're easy to find. I think it was just developed a few years ago. https://smallfarms.cornell.edu/2015/04/habanada/

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    3 years ago

Large fruited peppers, as many sweet peppers are, tend to suffer from a lot of blossom end rot when grown in containers if you don't watch the watering carefully. Pots dry out pretty quickly, especially when packed with mature plant roots and then wen doused with water it creates really inconsistent moisture levels which leads to BER. I have not noticed this to be as big of a problem with small fruited peppers like habaneros (or, in your case "habanadas").

That being said, I have grown all my peppers almost exclusively in pots with great results in the past (last year was a bust since our incessant wind out here on the wide open prairie kept snapping the branches off).

• donna_in_sask
    3 years ago

I always start way too many pepper plants and a lot of them end up in large pots on the deck. They do really well but you need to have them in fairly large pots, stake them and mind the watering needs. I also mulch the soil surface with chopped up leaves to conserve moisture.

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    3 years ago

if you don't watch the watering carefully. Pots dry out pretty quickly, especially when packed with mature plant roots and then wen doused with water it creates really inconsistent moisture levels which leads to BER.

Self-watering planters can be helpful if you're having trouble keeping water consistant. We use them mostly for our tomatoes, but the larger pepper plants have also gone in them (like when we grew nikita). We usually grow little peppers and just use a normal pot, though, as I mentioned above.

I always start way too many pepper plants

Yes! This is a classic here. We start enough to assure we'll have one of each if not everything germinates, and then they all come up, and we're scrambling with how to plant everything. We started getting a mix of seeds and ordered plants, but we still manage to overrun ourselves with plants. There are worse issues to have.

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
  • linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Looks like I will need to repot those peppers. I did not allow enough space. It’s been so many years since I grew any, that I can’t recall how big they get. The Habanada got it’s own pot. With all the heavy rains we’ve had, I couldn’t do in-ground planting, so potted up a lot. The peppers and the tomatoes will be fighting for the sunny spots.

How do peppers handle a hanging basket? My absolute sunniest spots are hanging on the western side of a pergola that covers part of my deck.