Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

What height windows should be used in a new build with 10' ceilings?

nhb22
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Building a home with 10' ceilings. I know that I want windows that come close to the floor...about 16" up (not including the window skirt.). I just don't know how far from the ceiling they should be hung.

We currently have 9' ceilings in our existing home. The window placement is approx. 2'4" from ceiling (includes window trim.) We have about 9" of crown, and will have the same in the new house with 10' ceilings.

With what we have currently, if it were not for the crown on ceiling, and some extra crowning embellishments over the formal windows, I would think the windows are hung too low from the ceiling.

Is there a standard? I am trying to figure out what size/length of window to have the architect put into the plan. I have already caught a few windows that were too narrow, and not long enough to the floor. Just want to make sure we are getting the lengths we need for 10' ceilings.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    3 years ago

Your current home has the windows set approx 80" or standard door height.

Home we build with 10' plate height (base ceiling) have window tops set at 96" (8') along with 8' tall doors. There is always exceptions.

• chispa
    3 years ago

If you like the look of the proportions of your current windows, but think they would look better a few inches taller, than add a foot+few inches to your new 10 ft ceilings.

I'm sure there are some rough guidelines, but a lot comes down to preference and house design. Technology also comes into play, such as much larger doors and windows being used in hurricane areas due to newer window glass that is designed for the higher wind speeds.

Some people don't like windows close to the ground and some do. Custom homes tend to have more and bigger windows than tract homes or spec builds.

Do you want furniture in front of some windows? Adjust the sill height accordingly for those windows. Also consider the look from outside the house.

• PRO
    PPF.
    3 years ago

Ask your designer for some 3D renderings showing various sizes. Consider the exterior too.

All 16" off the floor. 72", 78", 84". 9" crown, 7" base.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

What is the style of the house? What is the site like? What views are there to be had?

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    3 years ago

Google "when do you need tempered windows".

The higher the window head the more natural light will enter the space. If the rooms face south, this can be a good thing. If the rooms face west, this is a terrible thing.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all!

I did not notice, until mentioned, that the door and window heights are the same in our current home. ;)

We like the longer look and frequently put furniture in front of the windows. With blinds or shutters, the backs of the furniture are barely noticeable.

Traditional 1 1/2 story. Smallish lot in an established neighborhood of older character homes. No real views except of the neighbors. I like a lot of light. We are good on the direction of the sun.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Is an 80" high window a standard size? Or would I need to drop down to 78"? If we used 84" high, they would be too low to the floor (12"), I think.

• shead
    3 years ago

We did 72” (6’) tall windows with an 8’ header height. I could’ve done 7’ tall windows but those would’ve required tempered glass.

• David Cary
    3 years ago

Tempered glass throughout a house gets expensive.

I have 10 foot high ceilings and 6 foot tall windows. That probably puts them 24 off the floor (to avoid tempering if memory serves) and lines up with 8 foot doors. That is the standard value choice. 6 foot tall windows are pretty common size.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    3 years ago

Like Jeffrey Grenz advised, we would typically set the window height at 8'0" to align with 8' interior doors. I would, however, recommend you take a look at the exterior elevations before making a decision.