Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_76155898

How long did your renovation take?

John Lane
3 years ago

Just curious. For a full reno, kitchen, bathrooms, floors, etc etc etc.

How long? How much did it cost? How many people worked on it? Any details you wish to share.

Thanks.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

This would be totally unhelpful. All of those things can be very different from job to job, area of the country , way too many variables to answer .

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

Bought our house may of last year, moved in this week. Of course we only kept the front wall and the roof.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

It takes what will seem FOREVER, no matter how extensive or minor: ) It costs what it costs, and that depends how extensive or minor. It will exceed whatever you THINK it will cost, or plan that it will cost.

Your answers will come from a ton of planning, in all ways. Budget, style, drawings, selections, details, location in this country or another, quality of materials and workmanship and more.

Nobody can answer your question.

• Melissa R
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

1,900sf house. Hubs and I did it ourselves and we are 50+. Both worked full-time (and the hubs wasn't the most motivated lol) took 3 years and about $20,000

We did two bathrooms (tore down to the studs and the ,master shower was down to the sand in the ground), wood-look tile throughout, scraped popcorn off ceilings and re-painted all ceilings and walls in every room, tore into a kitchen wall and opened it up, my hubs made the kitchen cabinets even, installed can lights in kitchen which involved running new wires, built a deck.

• tammylinskey
    3 years ago

Started planning renovation in September 2019 scheduled to start in December delayed and delayed - Reno began 2nd week in March 2020 for obvious reasons work was halted. Here we are June 2020 and lots more to do. Budget is 180k.

• Mary Elizabeth
    3 years ago

heatheron40 So true! Love it!

• Mary Elizabeth
    3 years ago

My husband looked for over 10 years for lake property. He retired at age 56, and 2 months later bought our current home - 7 bedroom, 4 full, 1 half bath on 100' sandy beach.

We "estimated" 5 years, and $250K+. We're half way through year 8.

About 90% done. Budget? What's that?!

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

I purchased a 50 year old MCM ranch, 2000 sf in December 2016. Good bones, but still had the harvest gold appliances and pink bathtub, toilet and sink in the guest bathroom, master had been renovated, but not to my taste - cabinets and toilet needed replaced, but the tub was okay - just needed new shower head. Carpet everywhere except the foyer, kitchen and laundry (including the bathrooms), black/brown and gold leaf wallpaper. Outside was a jungle of overgrown landscape with gardens everywhere..

I had a small budget ($35k), but planned on doing all the work myself and with the help of a couple of handy friends, reusing what I could salvage, shopping the habitat for humanity and surplus stores and buying as wisely as possible. I planned on a 2 year reno.

While in escrow I needed emergency surgery, was diagnosed with cancer. I couldn't even lift a box to unpack my belongings, friends and family helped with the bigger stuff, the rest was unpacked one box at a time.

Just a few months past my first anniversary in my home I had a mishap and fractured 4 vertebra.

11 months later I had a major heart attack.

With a $5k out of pocket on insurance this ate up $15k of my reno budget.

I am one year past my heart attack and have gotten the front and back yards under control - de-landscaped, had 3 trees and the shed removed - did the rest myself, had a patio extension laid and bought a refurbished used shed. Cost was just under $3k. Bought a few perennials out of my paycheck instead of the reno budget. Have gotten the electrical and lighting replaced throughout the house. Got the friends and family discount from a Master electrician, pulled my own wire and had him do all the connections. Had some plumbing done - still have about 2k to go on that adventure. Bought 8k in flooring, installing myself - one room down 11 to go. Have spent 5k on the two bathrooms - replaced both toilets and one vanity, got solid surface counter tops with integrated sinks, new faucets, shower heads and mirrors. Have paid for paint and small items from my weekly paycheck vs the reno budget.

I have just a tad over $1 k left in the original budget and still have the kitchen and laundry reno expenses ahead of me. I am keeping the cabinets and reconfiguring the space to a galley kitchen. Can close the one doorway off myself, widen the other doorway myself, but will need to hire someone to move the laundry room door and the door to the garage and will need to add 30" upper and lower cabinets. Will paint the cabinets myself, but will need to buy a new sink, dishwasher, stove and microwave and get counters - replaced the refrigerator with my last bonus from work. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can find matching cabinets at one of the resale shops. Saving a bit each paycheck toward the rest of the reno. 3 1/2 years and I have 1 room 100% complete, but just have to paint and lay the flooring in 9 of the rooms. Hope to get those completed at a rate of 1 per month and then tackle the kitchen and laundry (should have enough saved to do most of it - but may need a bit more time to get enough saved for everything.

Best laid plans . . . , but quite proud of the accomplishments I have made considering the obstacles that were placed in my way.

• Crystalgirl9369
    3 years ago

Two weeks!

• Crystalgirl9369
    3 years ago

But seriously bought house March 2019, started renovation in June 2019, moving in this July but another few months to finish after that. But it depends on so many things. We completely gutted a large house, kept the roof and walls.

• Mary Elizabeth
    3 years ago

Jennifer Hogan

It's amazing what you have accomplished!

• Mary Elizabeth
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

John Lane, you might get better answers if your questions are more specific. Have you already purchased a house?

Basically, we did ours one level at a time, starting on the top floor.

We have had the entire house re-plumbed. Built in 1965, every thing (including the waste pipes) were copper. Our plumbers have been amazing!

Some rooms needed all new sheet rock, some needed repairs, some were fine. We moved a couple of walls, and added a couple. The complexity of that depends on how it affects the ceiling and/or floors.

Our main level is all 4" hardwood maple, so it was easy to match, and our flooring guy was incredibly patient to do all the changes before the refinishing.

The house originally had 6 bathrooms (4 full & 2 half). All have been completely gutted, and we combined one full & one half to make the new master bath.

It also depends on "how much you know"! Have you remodeled a house before? (This is our third,) Are you planning to do the work?

One thing we did not expect, was how much we would have to learn about HVAC! This house originally had an old oil furnace, and I doubt anyone was ever worried about energy savings!

It had been replaced in the 90's with 2 HUGE gas furnaces. On the coldest days, these would cycle almost every 10 minutes!

IIRC, we had 18 to 20 HVAC bids! Most companies just send out a "salesman" who's job is to bs you into the latest, greatest, MOST expensive system they can scam you into! When you ask for a load calc, increased air returns, etc., you get a blank stare! Some of our bids were literally double what our new system ended up costing!

In the end, we had (again) the MOST amazing HVAC company! The 2 new furnaces are half the BTU sizes of the old, and the house is way more comfortable, more quiet, and more efficient!

Do you enjoy these kind of challenges? What's your trust factor with "professionals"? (I'm pretty much a skeptic, and that helps!)

And IF we knew everything about this house when we started, that we know now...?!?