Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanofh

Red Parasol Mandevilla vine. The best Mandevilla?

stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I nominate this as the best of them all. I can't prove it and haven't tried the many types out there..but I have tried four different types and only this one handles winter fine and EVERY year comes back to fill out in green and red. Very Christmassy looking-ha.

This year I've used flowering fertilizer on it..the Miracle grow..and its really taken off. Once a week when the weather gets warm and stays there in summer and this is what it's done---

-

Comments (5)

• CA Kate z9
    3 years ago

I have this growing out front, but mine looks nothing like yours. I think I need to up the fertilizing routine.

stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area thanked CA Kate z9
  • gyr_falcon
    3 years ago

Dang. Guess I messed up on getting the best--have a white parasol and dwarf red Dopladenia in hanging pots. Yours looks nice. Mine flowered more heavily a month ago, and now are more set upon sending up enough stems to wrap around the patio beams to save their life should the hangers' chains break.

stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area thanked gyr_falcon
  • stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I've tried the white Chilean and it's too tender. Looks great 8 months of the year..and really struggled to survive a bay area chill winter. Then one winter after three,it died. It was in a pot,so in ground might be different.

I have a very old Pink Red Riding Hood..it too takes some loss in winter and really never grows beyond a 1' square vine-shrub. Some people think its an annual,but no,it will survive most bay area winter's year after year.

I tried Alice Du Pont..forget that. Its good in San Diego..but our climate makes it look pretty bad in a cool spring (when you see them for sale ..and then it dies anyways after a summer recovery the next winter. Home Depot should wait until June... I've seen them out in full bloom in March or so..and my next trip to HD after getting cold rained on..they are already dropping leaves,going out of flower.

They are so tempting though!

So,in conclusion-ha, This is like a dream come true compared to my trials with the rest.

• chloebud
    3 years ago

We've grown mandevilla for years. We had Alice Du Pont at a previous home on our patio that were beautiful. Right now we have both pink and red Red Riding Hood. I remember bringing one home with red/white streaks that really caught my eye. I couldn't remember the name so just checked...Sun Parasol Stars and Stripes. It was really pretty but didn't do as well as these.

stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area thanked chloebud
  • westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
    last year
    last modified: last year

I have "Sun Parasol" purchased at Home Depot, and it looks just like yours. This thing started to flower in Spring and just keeps coming out with more and more and more flowers. It is so prolific and so long-lasting it may just be my best climbing vine.

I recently had it put on a trellis as shown, and we lost about 60% of the vines and flowers in the process of planting. This is going to fill out the whole trellis and the flowers will surround whoever sits on the bench.

I think you have to match the species/strain to your climate, and it is obvious that these various "Parasol" strains are extremely well-suited to the Mediterranean climate of the San Francisco Bay Area. What are other Mandevilla strains that do well here?