Houzz Logo Print
peppapoodle

TMP Introduction Trailer

Peppapoodle
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Entry from front door......previous owner took all the crystal chandeliers

French doors are in the family room. To the right is the DR

Blue damask wallpaper i would like to be able to save. UV damage from mirror & buffet.

Butlers pantry to the kitchen

Pantry off butlers pantry (has stackable w/d hook up. Old leak in ceiling

I’ll introduce the kitchen in replies......it’s a doozy!

Comments (85)

• Allison0704
    3 years ago

Yes, she did, with the help of Holly. I did some digging, the person that briefly owned the house never lived there. I am guessing he bought for one of his children. It was never homesteaded, and he lives elsewhere in the city. They would not be downsizing to this home, IOW. I mentioned the house to DH tonight, his reply was "it is in a hole." One of the things that takes a house right off his list. Wasn't a deep hole, but yes, it is in a dip.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    3 years ago

But what a pretty dip it was!

• gardener123
    3 years ago

So happy for you, it's beautiful! Can't wait to follow along!

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for sharing both of those houses!! And the links to Holly Mathis- beautiful Homes.

I’m really excited abt the blue jewel box butlers pantry.

Allison, the book signing w both of them.....swoon!! I really want to make it to B’ham for a shopping trip w you:) I’ll buy lunch!! Or dinner!

In fact, looking on eBay last night for appliances- saw Alsurplusin B’ham- do you know anything abt them? I’m a scratch & dent person(cheap- champagne taste/beer budget)

Hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful fall weekend🍁

• Allison0704
    3 years ago

I have never heard of them, so looked up online. They are located directly behind Appliance Headquarters (no idea who that is either) in a large warehouse. It is a sketchy area, but per their Facebook page looks like they have some good buys. They show prices on their FB page.

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago

I really like the place overall, but the kitchen island setup is just odd. I hope you can find a way to reposition the sink and the cooktop/downdraft. Are you interested in a free standing range at all?

Like the toile bathroom! The entry, too, is very nice.

• lascatx
    3 years ago

Peppa, 2 things: 1) never underestimate the value of a bathroom in need of nothing more than cleaning to make it fresh for new users, and 2) instead of a panel above the cabinets closing it up with an extended crown, my former next door neighbors had that space finished out as open shelving for cookbooks (the ones not often used - LOL) -- like a bookshelf above the cabinets and display with just a few accent pieces up there. Open shelves meant less woodwork and no doors to try to match. If you are going to paint the cabinets, you don't have to worry about matching wood and stain and a good cabinet person can get or make doors -- even use some glass up there to reduce both matching and open space dusting.

It's a beautiful home. It is a lot, but most of it appears to be cleaning and freshening it up. Agree that changing out the island is the single biggest thing you can do for that kitchen and worthy of the expense. Don't rule out finding a piece that might become your island -- but those things are luck and/or time driven. Look forward to seeing it come together.

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

I'm with Maddielee. I expected it to be in much worse shape. And it has a lot to love if you like that style of house. I have a small kitchen with very little natural light and hardly any counter space. So although your kitchen has a bit of a muddle when it comes to configuration and mixing styles and the quality not quite matching the house, on the plus side, so much space and light! Great woodwork too. And I like wallpaper in small doses. I even liked the groovy sink in the bathroom with the printed flowers on it! A bit of color and pattern in small doses, a house that grand can hold up to it! I thought it would be more of a "Green Acres" interior, like they let the chickens roost in there, from what it looked like outside . . . not sure if you are old enough to get that cultural reference, but anyway, I can well see now why you were willing to jump on this opportunity!

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It’s what we don’t see that scares me!! We are currently chasing leaks from frozen pipes :(

Yes, I’m old enough for Green Acres! lol Yes, it just needs some love. Luckily when they built the house they had the funds to do it correctly, even if not my style. I kinda like the granny wallpaper & painted sink also- they are staying anyways!

Here is where we started w the pool aka swamp..... oh, the smell! Just frogs & a few turtles found, no snakes.

Progress…

Have a photo on my phone w blue water, will post next. Not perfect, but much improved!

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wallpaper down in master bath. It was in bad shape, thinking it will be Payne Hollyhock.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

Peppa, I’m sure you have told us before, but I have forgotten. How old is the house?

Re-looking at the pictures, I realize I have bedding that matches the black and white toile wallpaper. Several houses ago, I used the bedding in the guest room and the matching paper in the en suite bathroom.

3 years ago

Great progress, Peppa!

• Allison0704
    3 years ago

Way to go! Love either choice.

• Eileen
    3 years ago

You've found such a gem-in-the-rough! I recall your original post and I'd like to follow your progress. Could you post a link to it here?

• 3katz4me
    3 years ago

Very fun to see your progress!

• Jilly
    3 years ago

I’m so enjoying your updates, ideas, thoughts, pictures. Thank you for including us on this journey! Threads like this are what I miss most about the old GW HD board. :)

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6008825/the-money-pit-begins

Here is link to previous post. The house is 26 years old.

Thanks for following along!

BM Night Train- loving this color! This room is north facing with porch, decided to embrace the dark. This will be a “snug/away” room w TV, leather sofa, oriental rug, reading chair.

Laundry room cabs will be same color.

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Master bath is a complete tear out! And I’m not sad abt losing angled vanity island......

Free standing tub, hoping for marble slabs in shower (only 2 walls, if not too much$), new straight wall for vanity, dress room w door. Probably will use pax wardrobes w doors customized to look more built-in. The high & low mix!!

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Inspiration for vanity top :). Does anyone know where to find the brass supports/feet like used here?

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Funky island angles GONE!! Floor refinishing started.

I won’t lie, I’ve had moments of WTH are we doing taking on this beast! And will we ever make any progress. It’s like organizing your closet- gotta get real ugly before the magic happens.

• 3katz4me
    3 years ago

Great to see the progress! You say WTH. I say NWIH could I undertake the beast. Glad you have what it takes to do it so I can live vicariously.

• texanjana
    3 years ago

You have already made great progress, Peppa. This is going to be so fun to watch!

• bbstx
    3 years ago

This may not be what you are looking for, but they may get you in the ballpark. Sinklegs - a pretty inauspicious name, but the Gallery will make you drool!

• Allison0704
    3 years ago

Oh, fun! I love watching someone else rip out! LOL

I was going to suggest SinkLegs.com too. You could also check out Signature Hardware, Kingston Brass, and Renovators Supply Manufacturing. I don't know if Newport Brass (or their Brasstech branch) make them.

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for the sinklegs link! Swoon :). I’ve sent to my marble guy to help also.

Believe me, I question my sanity daily! As my DH is demoing master bath & water comes flowing to the floors below that are being sanded. They went & emptied all the collected saw dust to absorb the water. Renovation diaries!

3 years ago

Wow, you guys are speedy!

• Allison0704
    3 years ago

Sorry about your water woes. Made me think of this great sweeping compound we had during construction that was amazing at getting up dust. DH purchased at Home Depot.

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thought I’d update………

It seems to be one step forward, 3 steps back

MBath: shower leaked, the humongous tub had to go & might as well take out the angled floating vanity in the middle of the room.

DH insisted on frameless glass panels for shower. 68” freestanding tub under window 12” between tub & wall for ease of cleaning.

New vanity wall.....Framing for dressing area, Ikea pax with mirrors w Payne Hollyhock wallpaper in dressing room

Vanity color??

Was thinking the dark slate blue color in hollyhock.......

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Laundry room:

Cabinets have 1st coat of BM night train

wallpaper, Raphael. Windowless room where I’ll be spending a lot of time- make it fun!

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Outside paint in progress.....

BM white dove

Duron Historic Charleston Green for shutters

New dormer windows ordered

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Front/living room

BM October Mist

BM Cottonballs trim/woodwork, painted by me. Took me a full week to caulk/sand/ paint. I hired professionals to do the rest of the interior downstairs.

Dog tried to help;) but took too many naps on the job

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Kitchen

What was going to be, basically putting lipstick on a pig 🐷, and thanks to urging from cabinet maker, DH, and GW (never can call this Houzz,,) has turned into gut job.

Range will be on back wall w proper venting (bye bye island cooktop & downdraft!)

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And general state of affairs......

These pictures show how I feel about now..... unorganized, messy, dusty & unkept!

• Mrs. S
    3 years ago

I have to follow this. What fantastic inspiration photos, and the entry!!!!!! I can't wait to see what you do with this beautiful home in such a beautiful location!

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

For the fun part, although, I’ll be broke before we get to the pretty :(

Inspiration for fabrics using the Lee jofa

• 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

Thanks for sharing all this with us. I'm living vicariously through you!

• daisychain Zn3b
    3 years ago

OMG! I'm so jealous! I love the colours you are looking at as well as the ones you've committed to - that kitchen cabinet colour - yum! Our dining chairs are covered in a velvet that looks identical to that Schumacher in the middle. They were one of those "finds" where I walked into the store, had to have them, and then discovered they were half price.

Keep the progress pics coming. Love everything.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Love your color choices. I love blues/greens aqua and teal shades! Can't wait to see it all come together.

Your "assistant" is very cute, even if he/she naps too often. LOL

• Allison0704
    3 years ago

Thanks for updating. A few days ago, I wondered how it was going. Love all of your choices.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

Magical! Please use multiple thread for this enormous project, so we can all draw it out more! I am so enjoying it vicariously.

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks everyone, it’s kind of like a little diary here. And I know I’d want updates!

Mtn, I’ve thought abt chapters.......maybe. Might be easier than going thru 1000 photos on my phone, I could look up my houzz posts!

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Daisy, I found a crypton “velvet” in that color recently at fabric store. So, I was glad to find that pic w all the fabrics pulled together!

I’m a total copycat decorator, maybe if I had access to sample upon sample- I could be original. But I also need to work my real (paying) job! Ha

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Snow storm in the south! Babysitting the house to keep from freezing........ 9 days below freezing here & she has survived. New paint, needs shutter on bottom right.

I paint over DR wallpaper- mixed paint & water to “try” to cover UV damage & where glue had turned white. The left side is with glaze & right side is original.

Painting on inside is almost done ✅

Hung chandelier in the entry, Paris Flea Market by Visual. Needs more bulbs- but chandelier lift was amazing to have!

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Daisy, I changed my mind on the island paint color to one similar to the Schumacher velvet- think it’s BM phillipsburg blue. I needed some color w depth!

Just cabinet shells now, no end panels, doors/drawers.

So excited to be closer to having a kitchen! And proper overhead venting & cooktop OFF the island.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

I’m so glad you posted! I’ve been wondering about you, your project, and this weather! Lookin’ good!

• daisychain Zn3b
    3 years ago

You are moving fast (altho I'm sure it doesn't feel that way to you)! I LOVE the island colour. It goes so well with the floor.I adore those rich saturated shades.

It's hard to tell from the angle of the pic, but does the chandelier mimic the shape of the ceiling? Would love another pic once the bulbs are in.

• Allison0704
    3 years ago

Your new home is just lovely with the blanket of snow. We were in Florida and missed our snow. Love love the chandelier, good choice! Also the kitchen island color. I need to scroll back to your kitchen plan. ETA: Cannot find, can you link here?

Was the wallpaper test successful? I cannot tell from the photo. You all are working at light speed!

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Feels like we are on sloth speed! But the end is getting closer, if we can get our plumber back out........ many frozen pipes & water issues remain in our area.

Daisy, yes- it’s a domed ceiling there. BM palladium blue.

Allison, did you get my msg?

Kitchen plan.........

Minus the sconces

Rangehood minus the corbels. Marble slab backsplash.

• Allison0704
    3 years ago

The last message I got from you was three weeks ago. I replied twice but never heard back. I'll touch base with you the next day or so.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

Love BM Palladian blue, perfect for the dome. I have it as a wash on the beadboard in my K cabs. I'm glad you chose a color for the island!

Glad to hear you just got pretty snow and not damage... so sorry for the mess so many are in.