peppapoodle

TMP Introduction Trailer

Peppapoodle

Entry from front door......previous owner took all the crystal chandeliers

French doors are in the family room. To the right is the DR

Blue damask wallpaper i would like to be able to save. UV damage from mirror & buffet.

Butlers pantry to the kitchen

Pantry off butlers pantry (has stackable w/d hook up. Old leak in ceiling

I’ll introduce the kitchen in replies......it’s a doozy!

• Peppapoodle

Kitchen :(

• Peppapoodle

Other entry pic

Powder room

• Peppapoodle

Sunroom to the right

• nekotish

You had me at entry! I can't imagine living in such a magnificent place! It will be a labour of love and so worth it. Can't wait for updates!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally

I was expecting an actual trailer : )

• arcy_gw

Curious mixture of wood. Do you think the butler's pantry and kitchen once matched and they pickled the kitchen? What is your desire for it--white or match the pantry or something totally new? Skinny little island--odd configuration. I love the bathroom cabinet--the sink not so much. Not into sink/wall paper matching I guess. Thank you for sharing your journey with us!!

• Cheryl Hannebauer

following

• Kswl 2

The room proportions look lovely and the staircase is beautiful!

• Sherry

I like the yellow in the sunroom. The dining room wallpaper is very nice, maybe you will be able to save it. The kitchen looks remuddled to me.

• Peppapoodle

Becky, I can show you pics of the actual trailer!!!! 🤦🏻‍♀️

As much as I’d love to replace all the cabinets, I’ve got to work w what’s there. I’ve got a cabinet guy that will professionally spray /new slides/soft close hinges & reconfigure the island cabs to get rid of angles & bar height counter. I’ve got to keep cooktop in island- no full gut to the kitchen.

Butlers pantry insp......

Or

• Peppapoodle

Then pull the blue into the new rectangle island & white cabs everywhere else. New sinks/faucets/countertops.

Im open to all ideas for a facelift on this kitchen!!

• Sherry

That's great about the cabinet guy for the kitchen. Those weird angles on the island is what made me say remuddled. Those were a fad at one time. I love your blue inspiration pictures!

• ded_tired

I’ve seen worse kitchens than the current one, but it definitely has to go.

You mentioned the trailer in your other post, Peppa, so I thought that was going to be your starting point here lol.

• maddielee

Such a grand space!

I wasn’t expecting it to be in such good Condition. Are the big money parts (plumbing, roof, electrical etc.) current? I know you’ll make the whole place beautiful.

Does it have a name? This property needs a name!

I caught a glimpse of Reese Witherspoon's newly remodeled/decorated Nashville house on the first episode of the Home Edit show on Netflix while recovering from Canadian Thanksgiving yesterday (just our family of six but the usual meal, plus three different pumpkin desserts) -- lots of blue and white, esp blue and white wallpaper. I know she's worked with Mark Sikes on previous houses, so it will be interesting to see this house when it's finally published, which I hope is soon. There might be some more inspiration for you...

• Sheeisback_GW

Yes you should name it something besides TMP! 😊

Excited for you!

• Arapaho-Rd

A grand beauty! I'm excited to watch the planning and transformation step by step.

• Ocotillo

It has absolutely fabulous bones, and you are going to love it back to vibrant life. Can't wait to see how this progresses!

• rubyclaire

Yes to blue cabinetry!! This journey would make a great television series :)

• nini804

Oh, it’s gonna be absolutely incredible!!! Love it!!

• lyfia

Great bones to start with and love the blue - that is the plan for my future house to at least have some blue in the kitchen after 20 years of wanting it.

Do you have a basement or a crawl space? If so it might be worth moving the gas to the the current main sink location and putting the cooktop there and put the main sink in the island since you already have plumbing there so should be able to utilize what is there fairly easy. Often the sink cabinet and cooktop cabinets are the same sizes so it may work out for you.

• bbstx

Oh, Peppa, that is great! You have so much to work with. Love the inspo for the kitchen. The money pit I bought had virtually no kitchen. The floor was sheet vinyl with a trap door to the basement cut into it.

• cawaps

The only thing I really dislike is the what-were-they-thinking kitchen island. Wow, that foyer! And the pink floral bathroom is so sweet!

• Joaniepoanie

Love the staircase! Yes, rework the kitchen island, paint the cabs, new countertops and you’re good to go with the kitchen.

• Annie Deighnaugh

Oh man this is such fun! What a great house and a terrific project...I'll enjoy remodeling it vicariously!

• Peppapoodle

Thanks!! I’m excited, but feeling overwhelmed at the moment.

Id love to switch the cooking/ sink locations in the kitchen. Waiting to hear about the gas lines, then would need to figure out venting for the range. This has downdraft in island w a blower under butlers pantry cabs. Definitely not what I would’ve done, but might have to make it work.

The major expenses will be painting exterior/window repair/replacement. 2 of the 5 geothermal units are out, 1 is iffy. The sunroom roof is a leaker. Sheet rock repair from previous roof leaks.

Cabinet guy included in his quote to extend cabinets up to existing crown molding & add new crown to cabinets, is it worth it to do that? Like a “faux“ panel w trim.

Becky, hope you had a nice Thanksgiving!! Haven’t seen Home Edit, but did google for pics........would love to see entire house. Know he did her Draper James stores & gorgeous!!

Thinking of skirted table in foyer in this fabric by Lee Jofa. And using those colors throughout the house.

Inspiration for skirted table:)

• tannatonk23

What an undertaking! You’re a brave woman. So glad to hear there is one bathroom in good shape. It’ll make your evenings sweeter to be able to take a warm bubble bath in that gorgeous tub that looks very comfortable.

The rooms you’ve shared are all so generously sized. Would love to see more interior shots - especially of the cupola area. This house will be absolutely stunning and I’m so looking forward to following along. The aerial photo shows an amazing piece of property and I’ll bet it is fabulous in all seasons. What a dream project. Best of luck to you!

Peppa, yes, a very nice Thanksgiving (much nicer than we expected), thank you : ) .

Love that toile bathroom and the idea of a Lee Jofa skirted table.

• allison0704

Love the foyer. Such a lovely home. As Ida said, great bones. I know you will work your magic. The kitchen is rather unfortunate. Redoing the island will help immensely. If you can swap the range and main sink I think you would like it better. Our current kitchen had a downdraft cooktop in the island. I always hated (when it was my parent's house). Range wall is much better, more functional. Removing the corner desk area would also make a difference.

Mark D Sikes was just here, along with James T Farmer for a dual book signing. Mark did a home here several years ago. She has blue kitchen cabinets. Here is her blog link to the Veranda magazine feature.

Fun, fun! Thanks for sharing! Cannot wait to see more.

I remember seeing that Alabama house last year, but thanks for the reminder, allison. It was fun to revisit that house thinking of Peppa's new house!

Enter California designer Mark D. Sikes, who she’d met when he delivered the keynote at the 2016 Birmingham Botanical Gardens’s Antiques at the Garden show. Cain, who served as a cochair of the event that year, had been a longtime admirer of his work. “I gravitated toward his use of color and pattern, his love of beautiful pieces and the history of things,” she explains. On a whim, she asked if the noted designer would be willing to come take a look at her home.

lol "On a whim" she asked Mark Sikes to swing by to take a look. As one does : ) .

For an earlier house, which was just a small cottage but with a lovely traditional exterior (shutters and copper gutters), Ragan Cain was an e-client of Holly Mathis to do some "tweaking",

http://www.hollymathisinteriors.com/2014/03/going-inside-cover/

http://www.hollymathisinteriors.com/2014/03/southern-living-cover/

According to Mathis, the exterior color is BM White Chocolate and the shutters are Farrow & Ball Railings.

• allison0704

Funny you post what locally is known as the Pineapple House. We looked at it when on the market in 2016. DH thought it was too small. I loved almost everything about it. It sold recently, after the previous owner gutted the bathrooms and kitchen (there was NO kitchen when it sold recently/empty room), and painted the entire house white. Stripped of its character. It's horrid now. Listing photos are here.

It sold recently, after the previous owner gutted the bathrooms and kitchen (there was NO kitchen when it sold recently/empty room), and painted the entire house white. Stripped of its character. It's horrid now.

And stained the flooring and handrails dark. Horrid is the word. I don't understand why they pulled certain things out without replacing them -- the mantle and the base cabinet in the original panelled room that made such a sweet, and handy, little bar area.

It was a charming cottage, and it seemed that Ragan Cain knew how to really bring it to life and respect the integrity of the house.

• allison0704

Yes, she did, with the help of Holly. I did some digging, the person that briefly owned the house never lived there. I am guessing he bought for one of his children. It was never homesteaded, and he lives elsewhere in the city. They would not be downsizing to this home, IOW. I mentioned the house to DH tonight, his reply was "it is in a hole." One of the things that takes a house right off his list. Wasn't a deep hole, but yes, it is in a dip.

But what a pretty dip it was!

• gardener123wewantsophie

So happy for you, it's beautiful! Can't wait to follow along!

• Peppapoodle

Thank you for sharing both of those houses!! And the links to Holly Mathis- beautiful Homes.

I’m really excited abt the blue jewel box butlers pantry.

Allison, the book signing w both of them.....swoon!! I really want to make it to B’ham for a shopping trip w you:) I’ll buy lunch!! Or dinner!

In fact, looking on eBay last night for appliances- saw Alsurplusin B’ham- do you know anything abt them? I’m a scratch & dent person(cheap- champagne taste/beer budget)

Hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful fall weekend🍁

• allison0704

I have never heard of them, so looked up online. They are located directly behind Appliance Headquarters (no idea who that is either) in a large warehouse. It is a sketchy area, but per their Facebook page looks like they have some good buys. They show prices on their FB page.

• gsciencechick

I really like the place overall, but the kitchen island setup is just odd. I hope you can find a way to reposition the sink and the cooktop/downdraft. Are you interested in a free standing range at all?

Like the toile bathroom! The entry, too, is very nice.

• lascatx

Peppa, 2 things: 1) never underestimate the value of a bathroom in need of nothing more than cleaning to make it fresh for new users, and 2) instead of a panel above the cabinets closing it up with an extended crown, my former next door neighbors had that space finished out as open shelving for cookbooks (the ones not often used - LOL) -- like a bookshelf above the cabinets and display with just a few accent pieces up there. Open shelves meant less woodwork and no doors to try to match. If you are going to paint the cabinets, you don't have to worry about matching wood and stain and a good cabinet person can get or make doors -- even use some glass up there to reduce both matching and open space dusting.

It's a beautiful home. It is a lot, but most of it appears to be cleaning and freshening it up. Agree that changing out the island is the single biggest thing you can do for that kitchen and worthy of the expense. Don't rule out finding a piece that might become your island -- but those things are luck and/or time driven. Look forward to seeing it come together.

• l pinkmountain

I'm with Maddielee. I expected it to be in much worse shape. And it has a lot to love if you like that style of house. I have a small kitchen with very little natural light and hardly any counter space. So although your kitchen has a bit of a muddle when it comes to configuration and mixing styles and the quality not quite matching the house, on the plus side, so much space and light! Great woodwork too. And I like wallpaper in small doses. I even liked the groovy sink in the bathroom with the printed flowers on it! A bit of color and pattern in small doses, a house that grand can hold up to it! I thought it would be more of a "Green Acres" interior, like they let the chickens roost in there, from what it looked like outside . . . not sure if you are old enough to get that cultural reference, but anyway, I can well see now why you were willing to jump on this opportunity!

• Peppapoodle

It’s what we don’t see that scares me!! We are currently chasing leaks from frozen pipes :(

Yes, I’m old enough for Green Acres! lol Yes, it just needs some love. Luckily when they built the house they had the funds to do it correctly, even if not my style. I kinda like the granny wallpaper & painted sink also- they are staying anyways!

Here is where we started w the pool aka swamp..... oh, the smell! Just frogs & a few turtles found, no snakes.

Progress…

Have a photo on my phone w blue water, will post next. Not perfect, but much improved!

• Peppapoodle

Wallpaper down in master bath. It was in bad shape, thinking it will be Payne Hollyhock.

• bbstx

Peppa, I’m sure you have told us before, but I have forgotten. How old is the house?

Re-looking at the pictures, I realize I have bedding that matches the black and white toile wallpaper. Several houses ago, I used the bedding in the guest room and the matching paper in the en suite bathroom.

yesterday

Great progress, Peppa!

• allison0704
    yesterday

Way to go! Love either choice.

• Toby
    23 hours ago
    last modified: 23 hours ago

You've found such a gem-in-the-rough! I recall your original post and I'd like to follow your progress. Could you post a link to it here?

• 2katz4me
    23 hours ago

Very fun to see your progress!

• Jinx
    23 hours ago

I’m so enjoying your updates, ideas, thoughts, pictures. Thank you for including us on this journey! Threads like this are what I miss most about the old GW HD board. :)