Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_649014049

Ceiling and beam color combo help!

Jennifer J
3 years ago

We are prepping for a remodel on this 1978 gem. The walls are definitely going white walls with drywall over the current wood and we want crisp, clean and cohesive while keeping much of the 70s elements' integrity (including the massive moss rock fireplace). The stairs will be much cleaner with a combo of drywall, grey wood cap and iron and we like black as an accent color. The brick floor will stay and the wood floor shown will be restained a more neutral color, possibly driftwood gray. So, the question I am stuck on is what combo to work magic on the ceiling and beams. Option 1 is leave it brown. Other options include some combo of off white and charcoal or off white and brown wood as is. I am not sure what would best blend and make the somewhat intrusive beams disappear. See photo below for picture of the massive windows facing South so white is definitely not needed for more light in this case. We are not sure about the kitchen cabinets (black or driftwood gray?) but everything else in there stays as is. First photo shows the basement ceiling which we need to decide on as well. I am more open to going all white there or white with wood beams. Any suggestions welcome! Thank you!

Comments (8)

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Beams are amazing. Paint them and he ceiling a white wash. DO NOT paint over those screws. Love them! Floor is beautiful!!

Jennifer J thanked HU-187528210
  • Jennifer J
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Totally not painting over the screws ;) Thanks for your input!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I like the wood ceiling.

I've seen where the beams are done in black. against the wood they look great.

If you can, try going over the current wood w/more of a walnut gel stain. see if it takes.

this is also beautiful.

or,

I would not do a white wash. If you want to paint the wood ceiling, then paint it.

make the beams a richer brown.

But personally I like the vintage wood ceiling and a darker beam. or the black

If you want a white ceiling, considering drywall over the vintage wood. leave those as is. this way they can be undone in the future if someone wants them wood again

Jennifer J thanked Beth H. :
  • Jennifer J
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Question- would painting the beams darker make them stand out more or recede visually? One idea was to go driftwood gray stain on the ceiling with off white beams but I don't want the beams to stand out (they are halfway down the very tall mono sloped roof so impede the space a bit).

• Jennifer J
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thank you, @Beth H. :! You found a huge bunch of the best photos! I have looked everywhere for combos and that is a great gathering.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO the floors done in a walnut stain would IMO be a great look or maybe no wood floors at all and a nice gray green slate instead. Then paint the cabinets to give some releif from all the wood. BTW I have giant stone FP and it is one of my favorite things in my MCM ranch. Please no black cabinets keep the kitchen light with good lighting and stainless appliances I think the beams are great and there is no need to make them less so. The satircase with black metal balusters would be good. There are many ways to introduce black with accesories instead of major parts that are hard to change

Jennifer J thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Jennifer J
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok everyone, we are considering all options and still a bit stuck although leaning towards going darker with grey tones or off white but matching the beams to the ceiling to make them visually disappear. The reason I am stuck is because of feng shui and how the room feels with whatever ceiling color(s) we choose. It seems light would "lighten" the feel of the beams but we would lose the contrast with the rest of the room. Any more input on these thoughts based on the pictures from different angles would certainly help! Colors are easy to choose, whereas how a room feels is more difficult to determine without a massive change.