Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kharten

Do I need pendant lights over my island?

kharten
3 years ago

I'm about to start shopping for pendant lights for my island, and I'm wondering if maybe I can just skip them and just put in more can lights. Or maybe put in just 2 pendants instead of 3. It's a 9 foot island (the plans called for a 10 foot island, but when it came time to do the cabinets, we decided on 9 feet). Ceilings are a little over 9 feet tall.

Cabinets will be painted white, countertops will be white/grey quartz, and we'll have light to medium wood floors.

Pendants or No? If yes, 2 or 3? Thank you!

Comments (16)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

There is no right or wrong answer. Lighting is functional "jewelry" in a kitchen. I prefer two over a nine foot island, or a single linear style fixture. That doesn't mean it should be your preference.

I don't favor a ceiling with too many holes, but you haven't provided enough other information to even help you decide .

Show some inspo pictures you love..do they have pendants? No?

What is the ceiling height?

Either way, it appears the end pendants if you want three..............need to move a bit given the length change of the island, and you need to select BEFORE you move/disconnect anything.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

Functionally and aesthetically, I prefer pendant lights over and island. It finishes a kitchen and provides needed task lighting.

An exception would be if there are must too many other hanging elements in the space, which does not appear to be the case here.

For this island, I recommend 3 pendants, if they are on the smaller side and 2, if on the larger side.

It appears the boxes have already been installed and, although I cannot be sure from the photo, appears they are too far apart. Pendants should not be more than 6" from the edge of the island. So, this might have to be redone.

Most of the photos in your ideabook show lights over the island.

My question would be: why would you want to skip pendants over the island? Maybe there is a good reason?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

That is one pretty awful designed island . Waht is the purpose of the cabinet jutting out whaere the seating is? As for pendants I like them for looks and also for function to light the actual island counter so IMO pendants that shine down on the island but really I would fix that layout of the island to have an over hang for seating all along that side no wall at the end and steel supports fot the overhang then you could get 4 stools there

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

Are you wanting gold lighting and what do you consider "expensive"?

• kharten
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am open to the color, but haven't been looking at gold - more polished chrome, brushed nickel or even bronze. My appliances are stainless, my faucet will be polished chrome. I thought I'd find something for like $300 each, but the ones that catch my eye are double that. And when there are 3 of them, yikes!

Villanova Residence - family room & kitchen · More Info

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

Kitchen Project · More Info

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

lampsplus should have some reasonably priced ones like the ones you posted. Keep in mind, you can also keep the pendants very simple and use more decorative hardware or wall art, etc.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

And how LONG will you have the kitchen?? Ten years? divide 900.00 dollars by ten years. I bet you spend a lot more on hair and nails. None that you love in your inspo, would be THREE on your island, you could only do two.

It cost just as much to hang something you don't love. Or get something close. to what you love for 199.00. Or 99.00 bucks! . Wjich this is, and you need three as it is 10 inches wide : )

Question is over ten years ..........do you find sixty or ninety dollars a YEAR? TO LOVE THEM.

RIGHT SIZED FOR NINE FEET ? You need only two......so its 600.00 dollar deltA, over assumed ten years.

This below is close to 400.00

• chispa
    3 years ago

Lighting has gone up in price quite a bit in the last few years. You will be looking at these pendants every day for a long time, so get the ones you love. You can also place caps on the electrical boxes and buy the pendants in a year or two when the savings recover from the build.

• kharten
    Original Author
    3 years ago

chispa, JAN MOYER and CDR Design, LLC - great advice! I may well just save up a bit for ones that I really love. Thank you very much for helping me.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

SMART GIRL : ) You should only cry once. When you PAY

Which means............run your size and placement issue HERE. JUST BOOKMARK THE THREAD.

• TM Pham
    3 years ago

I have the similar issue with trying to decide on pendant lights over the kitchen. Hubby is too tall (6’7”) and our kitchen is open to the family room so worried it may block view into family room and his face. Is it bad to place lights 42” above countertop instead of maximum 36”? We have 9 feet ceilings. Lights I like are clear. I’ve attached sample designs with and without pendant lights.

• chispa
    3 years ago

@TM Pham, you'll get a better response if you delete your post here and start a new thread with your question and photos.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    3 years ago

May I ask == what brand of cabinets are those? I just saw them on a home decorating show last night. Also, I thought cabinets went on top of the flooring; no?

• PRO
    MDLN
    3 years ago

Three (3) generally look better.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    3 years ago

I think you are making the right decision to add pendant fixtures. They provide light but they also provide interest and color in a kitchen. LOL, some can be very expensive but you should be able to find something to your liking at a reasonable price. Will just take shopping around. I like your inspiration islands but do wonder if there will eventually be a problem with sagging. I might suggest installing some substantial steel angles below the cantilevered slab. I would feel best though if there were a leg at the corner combined with steel supports.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!