Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dskatchmark

Need advice! Should I paint the trim white? They are painting now..

Denise
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

After- we just put in new doors and windows throughout the house. These walls will be SW White Duck. Should I paint the trim a white-white color to match the trim on the doors? I would greatly appreciate some advice.

Before-brown throughout...doors were brown. Now they're white.

Kitchen has reddish brown cabinets that do match the trim..

The first room they painted today. More tomorrow... walls SW White Duck! Love this color. Do you think I should paint the trim a bright white or keep it brown?

Comments (12)

• cawaps
    3 years ago

I vote for keeping it brown.

Denise thanked cawaps
  • Susan Davis
    3 years ago

I like painted trim. if the doors are dark, then the trim around the doors can be painted white too as well as crown molding and baseboards.....look at pictures of rooms of both and see what appeals to you the most!

Denise thanked Susan Davis
  • jjam
    3 years ago

YES! It's gonna be gorgeous!!

Denise thanked jjam
  • Melissa R
    3 years ago

yes, paint white

Denise thanked Melissa R
  • cat_ky
    3 years ago

I vote to keep it brown too. It looks very nice brown, and adds a bit more character to the room.

• PRO
    Denise
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We're heading to Aruba on Saturday. I've decided to live in the space for one week. They will have it painted SW White Duck and leave it brown for now. We'll make the final decision by the time we leave.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

My vote is brown. Agree about it adding interest and character, and to me, it draws the eye towards the windows/beautiful views. It has that beachy, British Colonial feel I love when visiting traditional Caribbean hotels.

You definitely have enough bright light coming in ... the wood trim has a warm, organic feel to keep rooms from looking or feeling washed-out.

Denise thanked Jilly
  • PRO
    Denise
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Jinx! I think I need to hire someone. I'm so confused at this point. :( I don't have to make a decision on the trim for a few weeks. Also, it will be good to put my house back together first to get a feel for the trim with my furnishings...I love this site, for all the different perspectives.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

That’s a great idea — living with it a bit. I hope you update us! Enjoy Aruba! :)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

Do the white trim to unify everything. I would not do that slate accent wall, those have been 'out' for awhile. Obviously if you love it..

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

You mean the recess? Build it out with drywall, hang the tv, and put a piece of furniture under it.

Can that become a closet accessed from the opposite side?