Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peggyjackson3

I misjudged furniture I bought online and can't return it...Help!

Peggy Jackson
10 years ago
Can you suggest a way to recoup my investment? I purchased this couch and coffee table which were delivered a few days ago. They are beautiful pieces and the couch is extremely comfortable, but they are too large for my living room space. Any suggestions?

Comments (115)

• shelleyuk
    10 years ago
    I agree completely with those saying lose the blue sofa. The room is definitely big enough for your lovely new sofa and two wing chairs will look great in there.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Cut your losses and contact a good interior designer.
  • Ellen Goldman
    10 years ago
    It is not the sofa that is too big for the room...it is the coffee table. The large scale of the coffee table does not work with your gorgeous new sofa. Can you relocate it to a different room? You have a beautiful room and a beautiful new sofa!! I would start there. Put back the matching pillows that the sofa came with, relocate the blue sofa, the coffee table and the armoire to different rooms, replace the coffee table with an oval glass top metal frame coffee table with a lighter feel, and get two slipper chairs to place perpendicular to the sofa.
  • sharon3986
    10 years ago
    I agree with Tikva...its the coffee table that's too large with the two sofa's. Both of them are lovely, but the new one is awesome - and comfortable - so you don't want to get rid of that! I'm wondering:

1. Can the console go where the bookcase is? Bookcase may need to be relocated...
    2. Can the big coffee table go under the window where the small coffee table is and become a feature in its own right?
    3. Maybe a (not rectangular) less bulky coffee table between the sofas? Or perhaps relocate the blue couch to another room and go for some lovely chairs, as previously suggested.

Not sure what other furniture you have to swap out, but I really think you can make this work without too much additional investment. Its a beautiful room - try everything! And keep the new sofa!
  • Kara
    10 years ago
    Bookoo.com, sell it!
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    If you sell the blue couch, that will give you the $$$ for a new chair to put by the window.....one with a pattern.....large and comfy, too. I hate to have you spend MORE money right now, but this would take from one hand and put it in the other hand, so to speak. You still have the rocker for another person to use when guests arrive. The blue couch is throwing off the new couch, which is stunning and fits what you have as your dream for this room.
  • Marci
    10 years ago
    I agree, sell the blue couch and invest in a complementary chair. Also, do you have some large friends who can come over and, for some pizza and beer, move the furniture around in different configurations? Another thought may be to get some smooth plastic disks that you can put under the legs of the heavy pieces; this may allow you to move things around on your own. Sometimes you have to try a few different configurations before you hit on what works for a room.

Some other thoughts are that you need bigger pillows in a bold accent color and bigger, bolder art in the room. The couch and table are big statement pieces and they are surrounded by delicate and retiring accessories.
  • PRO
    Peggy Jackson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I thought I'd better update with a photo, even though it's hard to photograph this time of day because of the lighting. I found out that the new sofa can be returned, now that it seems to be everyone's favorite piece. I agree that I should probably ditch the blue sofa and get some mismatched chairs. I agree that the armoire should be moved, but where is the question? I really like it and the wiring for my cable is behind it. I could put it where the bookcase is a seeing about getting the cable wire moved. It's not an ideal spot for television watching but I don't watch a lot of TV. I wonder if putting the new sofa where the blue one is now and chairs where the new sofa is would work better with the art work. I am very attached to the paintings as they are original works done by artist friends. The coffee table looks pretty good under the window, but it is all very crammed together and doesn't work where it is. The armoire door doesn't completely open if I want to watch TV and the side table by the sofa is crowded. Any thoughts?
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Of course everyone has different opinions and that's fine. I'll give you mine:
    I'd leave the new sofa where it is. I love the art above it. I do like the coffee table in front of the new sofa, only it was too close to it.
    I like the armoire in the corner.
    Peggy Jackson thanked Carolina
  • morristodo
    10 years ago
    I agree with travisinteriors. Adding a rug could also help pull the seating area together.
  • PRO
    Peggy Jackson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'd like to have an area rug, but wouldn't I need to have hardwood floors for that? I have wall to wall cream colored berber carpet. I would like to think of an arrangement that is not just the furniture arranged on all four walls, if possible.
  • macdunlap
    10 years ago
    This may be radical but what about moving armoire to wall where new sofa is now perhaps flank with bookcases if there Re two get rid of old sofa like others have suggested put new sofa where old and perhaps use coffee table between two chairs. I agree with some others the table seems the wrong scale but won't know until you get the old sofa out
  • User
    10 years ago
    Some times layering carpets can work. I think a rug like this might look pretty not sure if it your style Peggy?
    Fatboy Nonflying Carpet, Big Floral Blue · More Info
    Peggy Jackson thanked User
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    The new coffee table is what is too large. Another solution: get rid of the blue sofa, center the coffee table on the side window with a chair on either side of it. Maybe the chairs could be swivel, so they could be turned to watch TV. If you put the TV where the new couch is now the windows would cause a glare on the screen.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I really would not put my couch in front of the window....sun is soooo hard on good furniture, no matter how careful you are. I think the tv armoire is perfect where it is.....again......the cottage charm. I understand about not wanting furniture lined up. Can you measure to see if your new couch can be turned to face the side window? That would give you a head on view of the tv and also a little divider with your kitchen area. I think your art would still be ok on the wall. Move the coffee table to the center of your new couch and maybe try the rocking chair and side table together down by the armoire...or in that area.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Don't forget there is an air conditioner in that front window.
  • santoslhauper
    10 years ago
    How about a picture from the other side of the room? What are the overall room dimensions?
  • PRO
    Peggy Jackson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Margo I forgot to mention the rug your posted above is lovely and it ties in my colors so well. Thanks!
  • PRO
    Peggy Jackson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The rooms measures about 13 x 20 ft.
  • PRO
    Marc Russell Interiors
    10 years ago
    Everyone seems to have an opinion, so I'll throw mine in there! New sofa is great! It's positioned perfectly, taking advantage of the view. The blue sofa has to go. In order to keep the weight of the room in balance, you'll need a pair of chairs. Don't go too tall with the chairs, you dont want to impede on the view. Not crazy about mixing patterns on a pair of chairs that are really close to each other. There's a fine line between eclectic and yard sale. Take a cushion from the sofa into the furniture store, and all of the measurements you can get. The pro at the store will help you, no charge. Once the chairs are in place, deal with the cocktail table. It looks very heavy, and a little large in scale, but that can change with the addition of the chairs. If the TV has to remain in that room, scale down the armoire, it's so huge it catches the eye immediately! A throw rug on carpeting is going to ripple, and be a tripping hazard. Good luck!
  • Rosemary Davis
    10 years ago
    The scale of the armoire matches the scale of the new couch. I agree with the others. Sell the blue couch and and purchase new chair or chairs...just make sure the scale of the new chair(s) is also the same scale as the new couch. Consider new chair(s) on legs so that you can see under the chairs. This will open up the space. Once the new are in place you can decide on a coffee table.
  • pinkdolly
    10 years ago
    the couch doesnt seem too big. Is it the size of the couch or the style you do not like??? ditch the blue sofa, buy 2 nice chairs but keep them the same.. Keep it simple, capatilize on the light and space but very little furniture. add some greenery. Voila . done! if there is tv, hide it in a simple armoire...perhaps a simple or parisian aged style for some elegance
  • pinkdolly
    10 years ago
    same couch... light wood flooring...ditch the blue couch....ditch the wood table under window...ditch the over-sized country style armour (if you use a tv try an armour half the size or antique parisian style in darker wood) try a glass table under the window with oversize arangement, ditch the small pictures over the couch and choose 1 large oil painting. keep it simple, elegant
  • jecpin
    9 years ago
    I would suggest you add some contrast between the floor, wall and sofa colors. They are all too similar and the room seems a little blah as a result.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 years ago
    Posted over a year ago.
  • Arizona Snoopy
    9 years ago
    Get rid of the monstrous cabinet in the corner. That is what is too big for the room!
  • PRO
    Peggy Jackson
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I haven't posted the final results which have been in place for about 6 months. I did not get rid of the "monstrous" cabinet, but rather moved it and am very happy with the results.
  • luvcolor10b
    9 years ago
    What a beautiful room! - - you done good ;o) !!!
  • User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Wow, what a nice transformation! Beautiful!
  • partim
    9 years ago
    Very beautiful! What is in the cabinet?
  • Greg lee
    9 years ago
    Beautiful room! Perfect
  • PRO
    Peggy Jackson
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks everyone! Karen - the cabinet holds my flat screen tv , blue ray player and dvds. I personally don't like to see a tv when I walk into a living room.
  • Bri Kramer
    9 years ago
    Craigslist of course. I check it religiously.
  • sabra900
    9 years ago
    can you use the coffee table as a tv stand?
  • PRO
    Peggy Jackson
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I could, but then again, the tv would be in full view and as I said, I don't like the tv in view all the time. I'm perfectly satisfied with it in the cabinet.
  • sunnydrew
    9 years ago
    Looks great. I think it is nice to keep a TV inside a cabinet too.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Thank you for coming back and sharing!!!
  • copy11
    9 years ago
    It is beautiful sofa but I believe you have to remove blue sofa and armoire out of the room. Keep your new sofa and place two chairs infront of the window where blue sofa is . All you need is, to have some classy drapes and good art work.
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    9 years ago
    No one should ever purchase anything online unless you've sat in it in the showroom first. Can you put it in another room you don't use? Give it to a charity or friend/family? You'll be lucky to get 50% of price paid on Craig's List, eBay or a consignment shop.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Love the final result! Yes, I'd hide the tv also and I like that big cabinet, balance the big sofa. You did good!
  • PRO
    Peggy Jackson
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for your comments... just to clarify, the blue sofa and the original beige sofa that was too large are both long gone. I purchased a off white sofa from Pottery Barn that fits perfectly. The art in the living room is staying. The paintings are original art work by professional artist friends and they are important to me. I love the art! I'm an artist myself, so the paintings will only be replaced by a "large oil" if I find something that touches me on personal level. The cabinet is going to stay, I like it and it balances the room across from the sofa. The table in front of the window is going to stay. I love the light in the room and it is very private from the outside with an upstairs view of beautiful trees, so "classy drapes" do not feel necessary to me. I appreciate the early suggestions and they were very helpful. I consider the room done. Thanks again!
  • Janice Rariden
    9 years ago
    I love the coffee table and couch. Can the coffee table go in the far corner opposite the armoire? You can then put a lamp on it near the sofa for reading and the statue on the other end. The table that is now under the window would then be free to be used as a coffee table. The rocker could go in front of the window. I like the idea of making an L shaped seating arrangement if there is room.
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    Perfect :-)
  • hatetoshop
    9 years ago
    Your completed room looks great and nothing needs to be changed. I'm so glad everything worked out.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I wouldn't change a thing! I love the cabinet-it adds charm and character to your room. Enjoy your beautiful space :-)
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    I love it ...looks great!
  • motupeg
    9 years ago
    I'm happy for you. It took a lot to purchase sofa #3. Enjoy your room!
  • PRO
    C PRINCE DESIGNS
    8 years ago

Relax...You actually made a good decision with the neutral Sofa. But, you have just started. NOW, you need a window treatment to highlight the room and perhaps a new wall color. The Pillows can be enhanced by adding more with an actual accent color that you love. You just need a 'designer' to pull it all together. A coordinated area rug will help also.

• Karen P
    8 years ago
    OLD POST! Room is finished.