Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mish_elle11

I want to move my gas range about 6 inches

Michelle S
2 years ago

My kitchen renovation was done on a low budget and with the intention of moving in 2-3 years. However, that leaves me with a problem. I need to replace my oven and want a slide in but the depth of most of them is too great. As it is now, the cabinet door under my sink hits the oven, when I open it. The only remedy is to move the oven to the right 4-6 inches. The gas line is in the middle, at the bottom of the wall where the existing oven is located. Would the hose reach?

Comments (17)

• kaseki
    2 years ago

Just reaching out here at the risk of appearing hopelessly snarky, but please consider this question: How would even the most experienced range maven answer this question without knowing at least the brand and model of the range? If you can't pull the range to look, then hire a plumber experienced in gas plumbing. At least he could provide an extension if needed.

• herbflavor
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

hoses can be sourced w more length. but you are getting a new range so you'll find out what length hose it comes with. Since you have to move things you will be taking out things and have installers working wth you. Leave it to them . Gas line can be moved..done all the time but you dont need to it sounds . Get the details of your appliance and what will be where on your wall in the new situation and let the competent people do it. FIRST I'd look into getting that new range as delays are affecting these kinds of plans everywhere. Do you mean range when you say oven??

• Helen
    2 years ago

As others have posted, anything can be theoretically done. Even gas lines can be moved.

Are you changing cabinets and configuration to achieve your result.

I have a galley kitchen and when a door to something on one side is down, it is an obstacle. In your case, you can't open the sink cabinet when the oven door is open. In all seriousness, although not ideal, this doesn't seem to be a huge issue. How many times is an oven door open when you need to open the cabinet opposite and how difficult would it be to close the oven door momentarily or vice versa? I ask because it appears that you might be spending some amount of money to fix what is really not a big problem.

But perhaps I am not understanding the necessity for the move as well as the logistics involved in moving the stove. I recently remodeled and moved my stove a bit down to center it so there was a landing spot on either side. However that move could only have been done with new cabinets, new counter as well as other stuff involving in what was a small move.

• opaone
    2 years ago

Many ranges are limited in where gas line penetrations in the floor or wall can be as the range has to allow space for that. Being able to move your range depends on the make & model of the range, where your gas line is currently located and possibly what the internal framing in your house is and where it will safely allow a gas line to be placed if the gas line needs to be moved.

You do NOT want to just slide the range over as that could damage the gas line (which all too often results in people dying).

Call a qualified appliance person or plumber.

• Michelle S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Tthe cabinet door is obstructed when the oven door is closed.

• Helen
    2 years ago

Wow - that must be quite a narrow kitchen if you can't open a lower cabinet door even if the oven in the stove is closed. My kitchen is a small urban galley kitchen everything can open without hitting the other side.

How was the kitchen originally constructed since that appears to be a major configuration mistake.

But I still don't understand how you can just move a stove without reconfiguring the cabinet and counters. Are you just starting a remodel or are you just replacing the stove. I am assuming this is a stove and not a built in oven.

I realize that a slide in is nicer than a standard stove but perhaps the easiest thing is to find a stove that fits within the current space and not have to deal with the expensive of reconfiguring counters, gas lines and cabinets.

Perhaps if you post a diagram with actual dimensions.

• wdccruise
    2 years ago

The gas pipe does not necessarily have to be in the middle of the range. It just has to be within the range allowed by the range installation instructions. These example Frigidaire and Whirlpool ranges allow a good deal of flexibility in the location of the gas pipe relative to the range. Both these ranges recommend a 4-foot to 5-foot long flexible gas pipe to connect the range to the pipe in the wall.

• Michelle S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

There are a lot of issues here. In order to make this work, I would have to eliminate a wall and a base cabinet and move the hood. This is a long narrow kitchen and, in addition, there is not one full wall. Everything is broken up by doorways and windows.
    If I had a dull wall, that would be the ideal situation but that just isn’t possible here.
    The cabinets are new but I’ve added more cabinets on the other side of the kitchen. I’d hate to just throw away 2 cabinets but even my current range, which is freestanding, obstructs the cabinet door and it’s one of smaller models.

• Michelle S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The kitchen design really required a lot of construction, in order to make it more functional but my budget was low and I really don’t want to be in this house forever. If I were to eliminate the 2 cabinets, there would also have to be accommodations for the countertops and, I guess, some type of filler would have to be added. Otherwise, the range would be on the very end.

• Michelle S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

There is a doorway to the right of that end cabinet.

• wdccruise
    2 years ago

"the cabinet door under my sink hits the oven, when I open it."

After viewing the photos, I don't see why this would be a big deal. Just open the left-hand door.

• Lyndee Lee
    2 years ago

The current situation isn't ideal but won't really cause a usage problem once you become accustomed to the space. Even without considering the expense, changing this would just create other problems

• Helen
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I agree that you would be going through an incredible amount of expense and aggravation for something with a minimal impact on functionality especially as you got used to it.

Here is a completely out of the box suggestion. I have a door in my master bathroom which only looks like it opens on a right side hinge. I had the way the door opens deliberately modified because I wanted to be able to open the door when I was standing to the right of the door because otherwise I wouldn't be able to easily access items stored in that cabinet. There is an almost invisible little pull on the right side but handle is on the left so it looks as if it would open with the handle - does this make sense?

I have no idea what the construction of your sink cabinet is but perhaps you could modify the right door so that it swings the other way by attaching hinges to a center stile. If you are willing to go through the expense of completely modifying gas lines, cabinets and counters, this might be a viable solution which gives you access to that side.

However, I am with others - just live with not being able to open that door fully and use the storage inside the sink cabinet accordingly. There are probably organization tools that you can buy that would facilitate storing and accessing less frequently used items on the right side of the cabinet.

• Michelle S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I did think about having the door open the other way but it’s one big cabinet, so where would the other hinge attach? I considered all sorts of things-garage style door, accordion door, sliding door.

• blubird
    2 years ago

I think the wiser choice is living with it the way it currently is. If you moved the stove over, you wouldn’t have that safety counter/cab area you have now on the right. In addition, you avoid the additional expenses of new countertop and replacement cabinetry.

I don’t think that mouthing the door to open the other way will solve your issue, although there are ways to do that. Have you checked over the specs of various ranges and their front to back depths? It's possible that there are differences between various brand depths and even the style of the handle which may impact your ability to open your under sink door. Also, does your range fully sit all they way back in the opening?

• Michelle S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The current one is 25.75”d and it does sit all the way back.

• Kate
    2 years ago

Hinge restrictor sounds like the best idea, or put a bumper on the door handle.