Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
waterloo481

Choosing color for vinyl flooring

We are replacing the carpet in our family room living room and dining room

BOth rooms can be seen from front door (back-split) and touch front hallway and kitchen 15” laminate tiles which wont be removed

We are still debating color of railings- spindles have been painted white

would a midtone brown work with my furniture and my tile floors?

Thanks in advance

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

why not remove the laminate tiles and run the same flooring throughout? Shouldn't be that much more to do. a laminate tile against another laminate flooring, in the same area, is going to look choppy and mismatched.

Do the entire thing.

Are you saying you want to stain the bannister? if the spindles are white, what color do you want? darker? it already matches your wood pretty well. I'd prob paint the everything white, or, try a charcoal paint color

darker would be an espresso stain

this would be nice. a lighter warm tone, AND the laminate wood look floor to match.

If you like the cooler brown tones, try Coretec Valor Oak and hayes Oak

as for the flooring, have no idea what you want to spend, so why not visit a flooring store and look at the laminate options? bring some home to see how they look in your home.

• smh225
    2 years ago

I brought home about fifty samples before making a choice.

• Sharon Wettlaufer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beth i love that middle picture w the lighter rail and lighter floor in simil

• Sharon Wettlaufer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Similar floor - i wondered if that would be just another wood with my wood furniture in my familr room and dining room

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

It could be done. I'd consider painting those chairs though. you have a lot of wood furntiure. wouldn't hurt to brighten up that table set a bit.

you could paint the chairs, or, just paint the pedestal portion of the table.

something like this but in a white, or even a softer blue color (or gray)

Something like this would tie it in to the kitchen, and if you redo the staircase.

Bring in a sisal or jute rug, like above. This way you don't have different wood tones right up against each other.

something like this would look great w/a laminate wood look floor in that color you like. the black chairs, the wood table, maybe a new light and a rug. Wouldn't hurt to update things a bit.

want to know how? :

https://inmyownstyle.com/furniture-makeover-spray-painting-wood-chairs.html

• Sharon Wettlaufer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

What kind of light would you suggest for a cathedral ceiling?

im excited

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

oh, one more thing, find a large, vertical piece of art to hang on this portion of the wall

and then put a taller plant in that corner.

when you have very tall ceilings, you need taller, vertical accessories to eat up some of that space.

there are painting tricks you can also do, but this is easier

• Sharon Wettlaufer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

flooring experience started-our house is 36 yeas old and we are seniors - we do want to update but finding it a challenge when we are not starting from scratch and everything seems to snowball

Our initial plan was to add flooring, countertop and paint laundry and powder room which are off of family room.

Then my husband suggested doing family room with vinyl while were working on that floor

so challenge one

coming in the front door we see the family room straight ahead, the living room dining room on the left, the rug on the stairs going to bedrooms and the laminate in the hallway kitchen

I had chosen lighter carpet in Lr, Dr, Fr and hallway to blend with hallway and to keep it bright.

Down the stairs to the left is the laundry, and family room where we wanted to replace floor toilet and countertop.

I want to paint the laundry and powder room white.

We will keep the dark vanity and replace the top with a white granite with a dark vein running through it, black tap and a new black light.

so the challenge in choosing the floor (I do love those patterned tiles) is to find something that would blend with vinyl flooring for family room and be the same in the living room dining room .

This flooring would be against tiles meeting the steps to family room, and would be same as living dining floor meeting the hallway which I think would work depending on color

but next dilemma is what to do with carpeted steps(needs replacing as well)

REPEATED PHOTO and we need carpet there as my husband has foot drop and slips on floors

I'm starting to think I need to move lol but I'm patient enough with your amazing guidance to work through this

I like that soft picture that you showed above with the white railing

Thank you so much for all your ideas-I can move along once we get flooring for family room and laundry powder