Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Guy de Maupassant is so beautiful!

I ordered him from RU last year and he just grew and gave a little bloom here and there . This late winter the shrub was nice size but it caught powdery mildew in the worst way . I cut it back hard and it hasn’t been quite as bad since . It’s just beginning it’s spring flush but it’s so super hot here , so I am extra impressed!!

I don’t get any fragrance but it could just be me .

If you grow it , please share pics and your review of it !! I’m really excited for this rose .

Comments (22)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    2 years ago

My kind of rose! There's just something about the pale out of petals and the darker in a ones that sends me! Too bad about the powdery mildew. You might wanna try a milk spray as we've discussed on another thread about 50 50 dilute. It works really well.

• purilisaVA-zone7B
    2 years ago

@Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca I was trying to get guy de maupassant, but RU didn't have any. That is so beautiful! As Vapor stated above, I have used diluted milk spray for Mildew..I have DA rose Prince and it is PM magnet along with radiotines. This spray really worked after I applied for like a week.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you both for the milk suggestion. I need to buy some . We are an almond milk fam and I keep forgetting when I go to the store ! It’s not nearly as bad as it was this winter . I wish I had taken a photo .

Purilisa , I’m going to try to root it if I can and if I do , I’ll let you know. I usually try to do 4/5 at a time so I’ll definitely have extra of it works .

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

What a gorgeous bush!! So many blooms!!! Love! :) :)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    2 years ago

thank you carol ! i love it too !

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

I can’t imagine that many blooms in one year. Amazing! It really is quite beautiful. Please let me know if you ever get a fragrance from it.

• dianela7analabama
    2 years ago

That is perfection! WOW what a beaty. Those soft colors are my favorite.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    2 years ago

Could you imagine this growing at the of Eden!

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Gorgeous !! Love those cheerful blooms.

• K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this with us Lilyfinch! I love it when roses blush more at the center and fade around the edges. :)

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Even more beautiful blooms!!! Awesome!!

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Holey Moley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Incredible!!!!

• Ariel Davalos
    last year

How’s the heat tolerance on this rose?

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    last year

I'm assuming it's decent since Lilyfinch is on Southern CA and I'm assuming Towanda is in Arizona

• Ariel Davalos
    last year

Okay perfect! I just wasn’t sure if I should give it full sun or try and find a spot that gets some afternoon relief

• berrypiez6b
    last year

Uh-oh, not another I need it rose.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    last year

Lily, yours are wonderful representations of this rose that should be more widely grown. Mine is a first year baby band, and I'm already so impressed! Great bloom power, fast growth, delicious color and healthy. I waited and waited until the Rosarium finally got him again last year.

• berrypiez6b
    last year
    last modified: last year

Northland had the Guy ? i must have missed it. Over the past 5 years some really great roses have popped their heads up briefly and then disappeared. Flowers if you have time can you please list some of your favorites for me to ask Andrew about ?

My neighbor had a friend over and we talked for just a short while out in the yard. She used to work at Northland Rosarium- such a strange chance meeting. She walked over to see my pitiful little apartment flower bed- only one faded Earth Angel was in bloom. Ugh.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    last year

berrypie, Andrew at Northland would get it for you, if the Rosarium Garden Center still has it.

The largest % of my roses came from these nurseries.

Austins ..... my most reliable and they all came from Northland.

Kordes ..... Kiss Me Kate, Florentina, Cinderella Fairy Tale and Crazy Love have done well.

Ramdom breeders ..... Nearly Wild, Peach Swirl, Stephen Rulo - wow, Honey Dijon!, Jeanne Lajoie

Meilland ..... Raspberry Cream Twirl, Dee-Lish, Eden - but slow.

Weeks Roses ..... I've never lost a Bedard or Carruth rose. I'm crazy about Life of the Party, better in person than pics and I can even detect the perfume. Celestial Night is a winner.

Canadians ..... any Mordens, John Davis, John Cabot. Isabella Skinner

I hope this partial list helps. The weather at these two nurseries is harsher than I experience in the low lands near Spokane, so I feel like they can survive anything.

Lilyfinch, you can have your thread back now. Apologies

• berrypiez6b
    last year
    last modified: last year

On HMF some of the photos don't look like the other Guys.

When I bought my first Abe Darby, I believe it had four or five years to produce the kind of blooms I was hoping for, and never got. The new Abe from Heirloom right off the bat is opulent , stuffed with gorgeous sunset colored petals. I'm thinking there are two vastly different strains.

I'm a little concerned to order Guy de Maupassant and get the wrong guy.

• towandaaz
    last year

Hey there! I am in Arizona. However, my GdM gets afternoon shade and doesn't fry - probably because of the shade. I purchased it from Heirloom Roses 3 or 4 years ago.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022