Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
padmini_parthasarathy8

Hiding cabinet appliances

ppxyz babu
2 years ago

Hi I was looking into something like a slider or a pull up door that I want to install below my top cabinets in kitchen (attached pictures below)

Basically I have 3-4 appliances that I use on regular basis. I just want the appliances to stay on countertop as is but want to use a slider door or a pull up door that I can close it after work is done.

Are there readymade things available in Lowes, Home depot/Ikea which i can just attach or I have to go with a carpenter /handyman. Any ideas. I was thinking of even using the panel curtain types from Ikea but didnt like it. I want something like attaching a door, pull up door or a pull down shutter type. Kindly see pictures below. (the first 2 pics from Houzz website) The last pic is the kitchen where I want to hide the appliances. Anything available readymade?

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I always hated appliance garages , I have no issue with applinces you use every day being on the counter in plain view and ease of use The spot where you are thinking of putting this is IMO going to be the issue. What are these all bunched in one corner , I really can't imagine using these in the tight spot. You can try googling appliance garage roller doors there are many and for gods sake no curtain ever

• Mrs. S
    2 years ago

You would definitely need a cabinet expert to build it, paint/stain(?) it, etc, if you want it to look nice. The thing about appliance garages is that they eat up counter space. Do you have an overabundance of counter space?

The other aspect that I wouldn't like is that the sides of those cabinets are likely to be the recipient of spills, and wipe-ups.... over time, in my busy household, I know they wouldn't stay nice. Perhaps you have a less busy household, or no concerns about that.

I too think that a few appliances sitting out are fine. Some are actually really attractive.

• ppxyz babu
    Original Author
    2 years ago

But the ones in the photos look so good. I just want to hide 1-2 of them

• kculbers
    2 years ago

I never cared for appliance garages as they use up space on you counter that you can’t get back❣️ I also see nothing wrong with appliances on your counter.

• housegal200
    2 years ago

I really like to see and use working tools and appliances on the counter. Unlike decor items, they don't come across as clutter but make their own statement: "We cook here." Julia Child had her equipment out and so do most chefs.

• shirlpp
    2 years ago

I can understand wanting to hide a few of those appliances. My appliance garage is similar to the below and it was installed with my kitchen. It does not take up a lot of counter space. Maybe this site has something that will work for you.

ppxyz babu thanked shirlpp
  • Helen
    2 years ago

I installed a place for my Cuisinart and KA Mixer to be stored and I can slide them out when I need to use them.

My "garage" is a cabinet that can open from the front if I want to access that way but has a side door that is a miniature of my cabinet doors that swing open on the side.

The garage is housed in the left tall cabinet - when opened from the front I have two pull out drawers. The counter was installed so that it runs through to the other tall cabinet

• ppxyz babu
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Cool. The Omega one does look interesting. thanks @shirlpp for sharing.

Thanks @Helen for sharing the pics. Am looking for something readymade though. I just want a slider door or roll up door arrangement that I can attach to the cabinet and I can use it when I want.

@

• Helen
    2 years ago

You could have the door made by a carpenter locally. Originally the side door was supposed to be a tambour or a pull up type of mechanism. However, I had so many sublayers on my floor that the height of my lower cabinets installed didn't have enough clearance for the doors to go up and into the interior - if that makes sense.

So they just created little miniature doors that open like cabinet doors and so there was enough clearance for me to slide out my KA mixer :-)

I would suspect that a cabinet maker could make any kind of door you want and stain it to the color that you need to be match.

• ppxyz babu
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@helen yes thats what I prefer too. Ideally I wish I could just attach sliding door or door that I can open to the cabinet which i can hide away and use the appliances on counter as is. Will check again