Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skz3852

Low Voltage wiring in New Build

skz3852
2 years ago

Finalizing our build contract and need to decide if we should spend $10K to get low voltage wiring - For cameras on the exterior corners, for Ethernet ports in room and speakers in family room.

I like the idea as it will be cumbersome to do this after the house is built. But I don’t like the idea as who know how long are the days for wired connections. We get wireless Arlo/Ring/Nest cameras, Wireless Sonos speakers.. so do we even need to spend 10K on this?

What would you do?

Comments (7)

• WestCoast Hopeful
    2 years ago

Wired cameras so much better than wireless. We have nest and power comes from low voltage. Wi-Fi gives feed.

• David Cary
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

$10k is a chunk of money for some tiny and cheap wires.

Wireless has got security and battery issues but is so much cheaper and upgradable.

I did a huge amount of my own wiring on a build about 12 years ago. Didn't use most of it. More recently, did almost none - and even then I am not using most of it. Wired for a router in a specific location then wound up doing AT&T for internet and they don't use cable (RG-6) to bring the signal to the router. Cut the cord on cable so all the RG-6's to TV locations goes unused. And for the most part use wireless for the TVs.

Up to you, but $10k is a bit much. Now - power for cameras is a real need. Hard wired security is nice also but usually not worth the money.

• M Riz
    2 years ago

We just had our new house wired We have cameras all around and yes, hard wired are better, and speakers throughout our home. We also have wifi extenders so there arent dead spots. It is pretty extensive . Having said that, it is much better while there is access to the walls, to invest money into it now . Do you really want to work on it later? In the big scheme of the house build, putting 10k into your home will make your everyday life easier. From all of our appliances to lighting to even our christmas lights need strong wifi. Home security is also worth the investment and to also have a professional guide you with your security layout so that you dont have to improvise later or settle for less than you wanted. That was the long way of saying yes, have it wired. good luck with your build.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    2 years ago

There is no cheap wire or cheap labor in 2021.

My 1957 home is wireless but most of my new construction is hardwired.

• chispa
    2 years ago

I know how much it cost in labor to have to add wiring later to an existing house and then have all the necessary holes patched up, so we decided to pre-wire as much as possible in the house we are building. I'm really excite about running low-voltage power to all the windows for powered blinds. I have no desire to be changing out batteries on anything, if I can help it! If we decide not to use those wires we only wasted a few hundred dollars in material and labor.

I've used ring cameras with batteries before and I am also looking forward to powered and wired cameras. Everyone in the house still uses a PC as their main device, so ethernet connections will be in several locations. We are doing a custom build so we were able to select our own low-voltage supplier/installer. I agree with Jeffrey above, there is nothing cheap in 2021!

• HU-867564120
    2 years ago

The contractor's number sounds like a WAG to protect his bottom side, and I would question the capability of him or his electrician to give you exactly what you want at a fair price. If you are near finalizing your build contract, you should have sufficient house plans in-hand to get an outside quote. I would have a local audio/video company quote you on what you want based on your design plans. They are the experts on what is the best to do now versus the knowledge of a typical electrician or contractor. Your contractor should have no issue working with a professional installation firm, that should be common ground to them, but it is reasonable for your contractor to take your quote and apply his standard markup to the quoted price.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert