Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark_baumann

shiplap walls or ceiling ??

Mark B
2 years ago

Starting an addition in about 2 weeks……adding a second floor over a portion of the house for 2 additional bedrooms. Master bedroom will have cathedral ceilings and 8 ft walls……curious on people’s thoughts of doing shiplap on the ceiling and drywall walls in the master or should I do the walls or maybe just one wall in shiplap and do the ceiling in drywall. Attached is the prints for reference. Thanks in advance.

Comments (12)

• artemis_ma
    2 years ago

If you are doing cathedral ceilings in the master bedroom, I'd rather see shiplap on the ceiling rather than on the walls. Depending on the style design plans for the rest of the house, this could very well work.

I agree with Lindsey that the second bathroom needs only one sink.

• Mark B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Lindsay the second bathroom shows 2 sinks but will likely have 1 on a 48” or 60” vanity. Didn’t think of the toilet room making noise through the walls but I can put some sound proofing insulation on that wall. Thanks.

• nhb22
    2 years ago

Nothing wrong with having 2 sinks in a bathroom if two people are sharing a room. We put two in our guest bathroom. There is also the possibility of opening up a wall to a large walk-in partially finished attic where another bedroom can be located.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    2 years ago

Shiplap is a fad that’s already sailed, IMO.

• Mark B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Nhb my wife wants that bathroom to have a lot of counter space. I think she plans to use the master for half of her stuff and the hall bath for the rest

• bpath
    2 years ago

Why not have the hall bath open to the bedroom instead?

• Mark B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Bpath the hall bath had a original plan of a pocket door in the bedroom and the current door but I took the bedroom access door away for some wall room and I like the idea that if someone needed to use that bath they wouldn’t have to go through a bedroom

• patrickaz
    2 years ago

Here's a home showing shiplap on the walls and ceiling. Perhaps it'll help you decide:

https://vimeo.com/403501117

• Jill Krol
    2 years ago

Before I answer the shiplap question, I'd like to give you some thoughts: 1. use a pocket door on the master bathroom toilet room. Trying to get in and around that swing in door in order to close it to use the toilet is going to be a pain. 2. Make sure the interior walls of bathrooms are well insulated so you don't get disturbed if one person is asleep and the other is using the bathroom. 3. Consider closing off the hall door to the 2nd bathroom, push that portion of wall inward. Move the vanity to line the new wall and put the door to that bathroom coming from that bedroom. It is not expensive to "T" into the water pipe to have the 2nd bath vanity moved and I'd only have one sink in that bathroom. Then move the laundry doors closer to the stairwell attached where the 2nd bedroom/bathroom wall is drawn. With the space that is created you can put much needed laundry room storage that you will appreciate once you're using that laundry area.

As to shiplap . . . I dislike it entirely. I do like the ceiling with more narrow wood planks though.

• cpartist
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

If I were you I'd flip the toilet to the opposite wall so it's not right up against the bedroom wall. Even still, anytime you flush, your partner will hear it. Frankly if it were me, I'd flip the toilet room with the shower.

And toilet doors should not open in. You'd be better off making it a pocket door.

Also in the second bathroom, you'd be better off with 1 sink and extra storage instead of two sinks squished together.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

Also is that the only laundry area in the house? I ask because where will you store stuff?