Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gt_bare

What primer, paint, lacquer to use for painting kitchen cabinets,

GB Design
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello, i need advice please on what primer, paint and liquer or other to use for painting kitchen cabinets. Thank you

Comments (8)

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

what are you painting over.....bare wood.....previously painted.....old original finish.....?

• GB Design
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Old original finish . going for white color.

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

first thing w those is a deep cleaning w tsp. you can see a lot of grime/fingerprints. then see how much of the topcoat or gloss is left. then decide from there. they are awfully nice cabinets . are you sure? once they are cleaned up and place hardware /paint the walls./update a backsplash etc !!!

GB Design thanked herbflavor
  • chispa
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

OP, unless you plan on drinking while painting ... I think you meant to type lacquer paint!

GB Design thanked chispa
  • GB Design
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes lacquer ops

• GB Design
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for your comments guys. After further research I evaluated the options and it was between extreme durability or safer for the environment and health option. Apparently many of you may know lacquer is very toxic because of the very high VOC. Even if painted outside which it should always be the case but even later after drying it continues to release toxins in the air for the next 6 months or more. Who knew it has such affect on us even aftet drying. For example Kemvar Conersion Varnish is what my cabinet/painter wanted to use because it is very durable but very high on VOC. I think i will go with Paint from SW primer and paint coat as a healthier and safer option. I rather compromise durability vs health but i sure hope paint will hold good too on cabinets. Thank you

• PRO
    User
    2 years ago

All of the ones I mentioned are waterborne and far more durable than house paint.

GB Design thanked User
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH